Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 04:06 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times

Advertisements

I always buy the Colavita brand at the grocery store (11.99 a bottle) as it's actually produced in Italy as the olives are actually grown, harvested, pressed and bottled in Italy.

Take a tbspoon with no food and swallow it and it's like taking a shot of whisky as it burns your throat which is a good sign of it's potency. Infact i think i'll take a swig of Colavita now .

Welcome to Colavita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 05:38 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,701,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
I always buy the Colavita brand at the grocery store (11.99 a bottle) as it's actually produced in Italy as the olives are actually grown, harvested, pressed and bottled in Italy.

Take a tbspoon with no food and swallow it and it's like taking a shot of whisky as it burns your throat which is a good sign of it's potency. Infact i think i'll take a swig of Colavita now .

Welcome to Colavita

I love how it tastes but that burn is a b*tch. I got a burn last night that would put whiskey to shame.

Colavita has a good reputation but most olive oil in the grocery store is not olive oil. Being produced in Italy is not always a good thing since that is where a majority of the oil scam is. You know your stuff though so I am not worried.

Hows your diet coming along?

Old 02-16-2009, 05:45 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Colavita is the brand I buy but I didn't know if that was as high quality as what you all were talking about. Now I feel pretty good about that big bottle sitting in the pantry.

Old 02-16-2009, 06:12 PM

746 posts, read 3,498,642 times
I don't buy my olive oil at the supermarket, I get it at an Italian specialty store or by mail from a specialized seller. The best is not mass produced, and, properly stored, can keep for some time and be used to saute foods as well as for salads.

I like mine unfiltered and with a peppery finish. For me Raineri is a good brand, it comes in a foil wrapped bottle to keep out the light. The last bottle I purchased was $20 for 33.8 oz. This is the lowest price I could find on the internet: Raineri EV 33.8oz Silver

These kind of olive oils are picked and pressed the same day, and are usually made of several different species of olives to balance the flavor. Mass produced olives are usually monocultures, and many growers pick and ship them to big extraction facility. They can sit around for days before being pressed. The first press, a cold press, is what is healthiest according to experts, later pressings are done with chemicals and heat, and start to become more like processed foods.

Using only small amounts of olive oil at a time, I consider the higher cost worth it on the basis of taste, freshness and health.

YMMV.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by litlux View Post
I don't buy my olive oil at the supermarket, I get it at an Italian specialty store or by mail from a specialized seller. The best is not mass produced, and, properly stored, can keep for some time and be used to saute foods as well as for salads.

I like mine unfiltered and with a peppery finish. For me Raineri is a good brand, it comes in a foil wrapped bottle to keep out the light. The last bottle I purchased was $20 for 33.8 oz. This is the lowest price I could find on the internet: Raineri EV 33.8oz Silver

These kind of olive oils are picked and pressed the same day, and are usually made of several different species of olives to balance the flavor. Mass produced olives are usually monocultures, and many growers pick and ship them to big extraction facility. They can sit around for days before being pressed. The first press, a cold press, is what is healthiest according to experts, later pressings are done with chemicals and heat, and start to become more like processed foods.

Using only small amounts of olive oil at a time, I consider the higher cost worth it on the basis of taste, freshness and health.

YMMV.

Excellent post, you are 100% correct about the mass produced oils and half of them dont use olives. Highly processed olive oil is completely worthless.

The other key point is its really not a lot of money when you consider a bottle could/should last at least one month or perhaps two depending on usage. Even if it was $100 a bottle to me its worth it. Spend it now or later on the medical bills.

Another thing I just wanna type is to try and use the oil within 3 months. As time goes on olive oil really loses its potency.

Old 02-17-2009, 04:08 PM

95 posts, read 503,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutHippie View Post
I always have a spoonful everyday. Its wonderful stuff. I also have a tbsp before I eat fruit to slow the absorption of the fructose even more. Everyone has just gotta make sure their Olive Oil is legit. Real extra virgin olive oil is not cheap. Its gotta be kept in a dark place and NOT refrigerated. Its a very delicate oil.
Sounds as if you're a diabetic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Great post as always CCH.....and for me i never heat it even though they say that but i'm not chancing to make it rancid. Either short chain saturated fat butter or no oils at all when i cook .
If you use medium heat, and get smoke. The temperature level is to high and has oxidized the oil, turned carcinogenic. I use olive oil all the time and never heat it to the smoking point. Grape seed oil is much better for a higher heating levels than olive oil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I use olive oil but I really wonder what brands are the "top of the line" brands that offer the most benefits? Any suggestions?
Cold pressed extra virgin olive oil is all we need to know for the good stuff. Brand names typically don't mean better oil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutHippie View Post
Thanks dude! I never cook with olive oil either. It is too delicate and goes rancid very easily. It is meant strictly for salads or taking sraight up. Never exposed to heat, light, or cold. The best oil to cook with is coconut oil. Its mostly saturated fat which can tolerate extreme temps and the sat fat in coconut oil is extremely healthy.
Different strokes for different folks.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelGood View Post
Sounds as if you're a diabetic.

If you use medium heat, and get smoke. The temperature level is to high and has oxidized the oil, turned carcinogenic. I use olive oil all the time and never heat it to the smoking point. Grape seed oil is much better for a higher heating levels than olive oil.

Cold pressed extra virgin olive oil is all we need to know for the good stuff. Brand names typically don't mean better oil.

Different strokes for different folks.

Nope, not diabetic. Grapeseed oil is a polyunsaturated oil, not a good thing to use it too much because its an inflammatory in the body. The best place for polyunsaturated fats are nuts/fish. The best oil for cooking is coconut oil due to the fact it can handle extremely high temps and contains a very healthy form of saturated fat. Plus I love the taste of coconut on my food.

I agree with you about name brands. Usually the bigger the label the crappier it is.

Old 02-17-2009, 09:25 PM

931 posts, read 3,802,043 times
Yes, olive oil in small amounts is good for you.

I learned this when I was like 8.

C'mon people...

Old 02-18-2009, 08:00 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
One thing i've learned over the years is not be be scared of fat consumption as when i was into the 80's ''Fat Free'' mantra back then my skin and hair was always superdry and nails always cracked easy and it wasn't until i researched fatty acids i realised the human body is designed for consumption of fatty acids. Infact my lips have finally stopped bleeding from the dry winter since i've increase my olive oil (God i'm happy about that).

A great book that taught the molecular structures of all fats and their carbon chain lengths and their interactions in the human body is titled ''Fats that Heal, Fats that Kill'' by Udo Erasmus one of the leading experts in the world of fatty acids.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:22 AM

so true 6/3. The fat free craze has been an utter diseaster in terms of health and has set many ppl who grew up in the fat free era to pay with years of health consequences. I still see lots of "fat free" advertising since ppl still think fat makes them fat. These same ppl are consuming tons of grains everyday and wonder why they can't lose weight..lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer