Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 02:12 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,566,245 times

Advertisements

Humor? I though that was just my normal outlook.

Nobody thinks cancer will affect or bother them, when a family member first hears about your diagnoisis, they get scared, and if you make light if it, it helps calm their fears more than jumping around in a circle waving both hands in the air sceaming the end is near.

I figure it is going to be curable or not. I told the doctor that I will do what can be done to the point where my quality of life remains good. Getting radiated to where I am a frail shell laying in a bed for the rest of my remaining life isn't acceptable to me. I live on the edge of wilderness here in Alaska, and you don't see moose in a wheelchair, birds on crutches and a host of other life support services in the wild.

It seems that families want to drag a person through hell to keep them here, verses letting them get on to the next adventure according to one's religous beliefs! I don't have any intentions of checking out early, but I don't want to overstay my time here either as an creature that resembles road kill.

My hope is that everyone can do the checks that keep them in good health before the rug is pulled out from a blindside pull. Nobody makes it out of here alive, it is more of how you live your life here with others that matters, life is short here as it is and should be enjoyed while it is full with family and friends. With a stroke of luck one can leave something behind that benifits all those still here, even if it was a smile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2009, 06:31 PM

55 posts, read 268,153 times
I had prostate cancer 11 years ago. And the first time I saw the Doc. he told me drop my pants and let me check your prostate, There was a nurse standind 3 feet from me and said to him with the nurse in here I should drop my pants? He said yes, SOOO here goes, I drop my pants and I know she was looking so lucky for me I had a long tee shirt on (but no to long) as I bent over it felt like a vw ran up my butt. I had the prostate removed and I've been cancer free for almost 12 years.
Now I tell everyone I could go out on second base at yankee stadium with a full house and drop my draws and it won't bother me one bit, I get an exam twice a year just to keep peace of mind.
So if you are close to 45 go get it checked out, its more embassing than anything but do it.
It may save your life.
Jim

Old 09-13-2009, 07:49 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,771,359 times
It was interesting whenever I was at the cancer center were I was taking treatment you could always pick out the new patients. The patients and their family look scared to death.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydog1 View Post
I had prostate cancer 11 years ago. And the first time I saw the Doc. he told me drop my pants and let me check your prostate, There was a nurse standind 3 feet from me and said to him with the nurse in here I should drop my pants? He said yes, SOOO here goes, I drop my pants and I know she was looking so lucky for me I had a long tee shirt on (but no to long) as I bent over it felt like a vw ran up my butt. I had the prostate removed and I've been cancer free for almost 12 years.
Now I tell everyone I could go out on second base at yankee stadium with a full house and drop my draws and it won't bother me one bit, I get an exam twice a year just to keep peace of mind.
So if you are close to 45 go get it checked out, its more embassing than anything but do it.
It may save your life.
Jim

I don't know, after being in the military, I didn't think that it was such a big deal since you never have privacy.

I had a nurse do the set up for the sonagram, not much left to hide/see after she got done with the probing and stuff, after a while it seems perfectly normal to drop the drawers on command in the doc's office... Then the Doc takes his turn after the snap of the glove.....

Old 11-07-2009, 12:27 PM

Well after having the bead implants over a month and a half ago, I am in about the middle of the daily radiation treatments. It is a long drive to get to the hospital in Fairbanks, and the treatments have taken a lot of wind out of my sail to say the least. But in a few weeks, I should be done and can put this behind me... literally...

There is a few that are there that didn't get the PSA test done sooner and are paying for it. The Radiation that they are getting now is in attempt to slow the cancer that has left the prostate and slowly eating them alive.

The PSA test takes a few min's time and will save you a lifetime.

Get it done.....

Old 11-07-2009, 12:52 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,925,882 times
Prostate problems...I know the feeling.

12 yrs ago had a T.U.R.P and the last couple of yrs have had a constant Urinary infection that some antibiotics just won't cure my problem.

My provider at the VA hospital finally agreed for me to see a Urologist at the center.

I see a very young Asian female MD who is in her residency at the VA. She says for me to drop my pants for a check of the prostate and at the same time checks in front (you know what I mean).

I had been very ill just prior to the visit with a swollen testicle the size of a golf ball and probably was due to my infection...pain in the lower abdoman and low back pain (maybe kidney).

Bottom line...they are going to check for stones/tumors/blockage from the bladder with a small camera and take a biopsy sample if needed as they did back in 1997.

Six yrs ago had a Thyroidectomy ( six cancer nodules) three on each side...maybe I have something going down below or in my back...will find out soon.

Steve

Old 11-07-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Prostate problems...I know the feeling.

12 yrs ago had a T.U.R.P and the last couple of yrs have had a constant Urinary infection that some antibiotics just won't cure my problem.

My provider at the VA hospital finally agreed for me to see a Urologist at the center.

I see a very young Asian female MD who is in her residency at the VA. She says for me to drop my pants for a check of the prostate and at the same time checks in front (you know what I mean).

I had been very ill just prior to the visit with a swollen testicle the size of a golf ball and probably was due to my infection...pain in the lower abdoman and low back pain (maybe kidney).

Bottom line...they are going to check for stones/tumors/blockage from the bladder with a small camera and take a biopsy sample if needed as they did back in 1997.

Six yrs ago had a Thyroidectomy ( six cancer nodules) three on each side...maybe I have something going down below or in my back...will find out soon.

Steve
Best of luck, this is a long road to be on.... sometimes it seems to be a lonely one, but keep the faith that others are there is spirit with you!

Old 11-07-2009, 02:57 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,771,359 times
Testicular cancer takes away any sort of dignity a man has. The turn your head and cough, to having several people feel your junk. To the cold gel used for an ultrasound...

Old 11-07-2009, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjl78 View Post
Testicular cancer takes away any sort of dignity a man has. The turn your head and cough, to having several people feel your junk. To the cold gel used for an ultrasound...
Oh, I feel much better then, when I get my daily shot of radiation, they do an ultrasound to ensure that the "Device" stuck where the sun don't shine and inflated, was posistioned properly so that the prostate is pinned against a full bladder...

At least I get "Warm" gel for the ultrasound check...

Still not much dignity left there either though.

Last week, the valve broke and they couldn't pull the "Inflated Device" out of the rectal cavity until they got a pair of pliers from who knows where to break the valve apart.... laying there on the table while a crowd of do gooders try to figure out how to get the valve to drain was a real thrill to say the least.... They all meant well, but it still was a bit demening....

Old 11-11-2009, 01:04 AM

Today while taking a break from my daily doze of radiation, and working on a Jigsaw puzzle that is laid out for all to work on, a "New guy" came in. He was pretty scared since it was all new, he was getting his "Tattoo's" for the alignment of the lasers when they start doing the radiation shots later on the in month.

That is the worst day of all the stuff that is done, and a few weeks from when they start the real stuff... I got to chat with him for a bit and he seemed to calm down a bit when I told him that was the worse part behind him (no joke there), the rest is gradual and you kinda get use to it as time goes on and that your energy drain is constant.

I will be done with my treatments when he gets back for the main program he starts in late November, but hopefully he will be in much better spirits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer