Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2012, 11:52 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,320,564 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

Yesterday, I lost my father after what I think of as a relatively short battle with cancer. Aged 70 and in good health (golfing, fishing, boating), he went in for his regular 6 month physical at the end of June. They did a scan of his heart and it came back with good results, except it had caught the top of the pancreas and the doctors noticed some spots. They called him back and at the very beginning of July did a biopsy and diagnosed him with stage 1 cancer. Even now I'm confused as to whether at the time it was liver or pancreas. There were no symptoms. He and my mom had plans to come up from FL just after July 4, but they postponed their trip due to the start of chemo treatments. The doctors assured them they would be able to resume travel by the fall. At that time my understanding was that although not curable, it would most likely be treatable for years. The plan was for 6 weeks of chemo, followed by another scan to see how well the cancer was being controlled.

At almost the 6 week point (mid-late August), my dad's pancreas stopped working at the end of the week. Throughout the weekend he was getting more sick and my parents thought it was in reaction to the chemo. By that Monday's oncologist appointment his sugar levels were over 800 and he was in shock. He spent a week in the hospital. He did recover a bit from that bout, but had to start taking insulin. They lessened the chemo and extended it another 6 weeks. That's when things really started to go downhill. His body was not reacting well to the chemo. In mid-September they knew that it was not going as well as planned and we made plans to go down at Thanksgiving since the doctors thought that would be a good time to get the family together.

At the end of September he was eating fairly well (although a lot of things tasted bad) and he was looking forward to seeing us in Nov. When October started he could walk. By Columbus Day weekend, he had to sit in a wheelchair to get to the oncologist appointments. That was when he received the results of his 2nd scan and was told there was nothing else they could do. The cancer had been so aggressive.

I made it down to visit last week (Oct. 10-12). That was the week my mom got things going with Hospice. He needed help sitting up in bed, but once to the side of the bed, he could stand up and use the walker to walk to the bathroom or living room to visit. Around Oct. 16, he could no longer do that and was bedridden.

The toughest part for me is how quickly it changed. The roller coaster of the initial scan, the relief of hearing that it wasn't as bad as it could have been, and then the downward spiral this month. Of course, a bunch of "what ifs" pop into my mind and I know that hindsight is 20/20. The past two weeks have been the roughest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 12:32 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Hello All,

Yesterday, I lost my father after what I think of as a relatively short battle with cancer. Aged 70 and in good health (golfing, fishing, boating), he went in for his regular 6 month physical at the end of June. They did a scan of his heart and it came back with good results, except it had caught the top of the pancreas and the doctors noticed some spots. They called him back and at the very beginning of July did a biopsy and diagnosed him with stage 1 cancer. Even now I'm confused as to whether at the time it was liver or pancreas. There were no symptoms. He and my mom had plans to come up from FL just after July 4, but they postponed their trip due to the start of chemo treatments. The doctors assured them they would be able to resume travel by the fall. At that time my understanding was that although not curable, it would most likely be treatable for years. The plan was for 6 weeks of chemo, followed by another scan to see how well the cancer was being controlled.

At almost the 6 week point (mid-late August), my dad's pancreas stopped working at the end of the week. Throughout the weekend he was getting more sick and my parents thought it was in reaction to the chemo. By that Monday's oncologist appointment his sugar levels were over 800 and he was in shock. He spent a week in the hospital. He did recover a bit from that bout, but had to start taking insulin. They lessened the chemo and extended it another 6 weeks. That's when things really started to go downhill. His body was not reacting well to the chemo. In mid-September they knew that it was not going as well as planned and we made plans to go down at Thanksgiving since the doctors thought that would be a good time to get the family together.

At the end of September he was eating fairly well (although a lot of things tasted bad) and he was looking forward to seeing us in Nov. When October started he could walk. By Columbus Day weekend, he had to sit in a wheelchair to get to the oncologist appointments. That was when he received the results of his 2nd scan and was told there was nothing else they could do. The cancer had been so aggressive.

I made it down to visit last week (Oct. 10-12). That was the week my mom got things going with Hospice. He needed help sitting up in bed, but once to the side of the bed, he could stand up and use the walker to walk to the bathroom or living room to visit. Around Oct. 16, he could no longer do that and was bedridden.

The toughest part for me is how quickly it changed. The roller coaster of the initial scan, the relief of hearing that it wasn't as bad as it could have been, and then the downward spiral this month. Of course, a bunch of "what ifs" pop into my mind and I know that hindsight is 20/20. The past two weeks have been the roughest.
Like I am sure everyone else is doing, let me send my sympathy to you for your loss; there is never the right word to help someone with such a loss, but remember he isn't suffering and he will live in your memory for years..

I am not expert, but between this forum and loosing friends to pancreatic cancer, I know how fast it can take over. WE have had one friend who lived about a year and another who lived close to a year. Others have left us in as little as 2 weeks. I do not know what stage the cancer was when discovered but I do know it is one of the few cancers with little hope for survival. Hopefully, before much longer the treatment will improve and the prognosis will be better.

Nita

Old 10-21-2012, 01:36 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
So sorry for your loss. It is indeed a fast cancer usually b/c it is so advanced when discovered. Thankfully he was in a good place mentally by the sound of it. So glad you were ale to go visit.

Old 10-21-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
So sorry for your loss. It is indeed a fast cancer usually b/c it is so advanced when discovered. Thankfully he was in a good place mentally by the sound of it. So glad you were ale to go visit.
Thanks. They caught it early, but he did not do well with the chemo. It definitely moved quickly after that. One good thing is that, at least to my knowledge, up to the last few days there was no pain.

Old 10-21-2012, 02:39 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,307,736 times
Quote:
Hello All,

tgbwc---My sympathy to you and your family! WOW!
I had an older sister, who not long after being diagnosed, died of breast cancer. Talk about a shocker! It's tough/rough all the way around.

Old 10-22-2012, 06:25 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:

I'm so sorry for your loss. The cancer roller coaster is tough; once diagnosed; you never really know what will happen due to side effects. My dad was terminal leukemia; my hub stage 4 tonsil with good chances- both filled out 5 wishes when diagnosed in case things turned.

Before I forget- ask for an autopsy since you have no clue what really happened. You only have 1 chance to do it.

It sounds like your dad was not diabetic; at his age; it's hard to say because my dad was healthy all of his life until he turned 60ish. Diagnosed with enlarged prostate & type 2 diabetic. It is very hard to control while doing chemo; especially at that age. My dad was 68 when diagnosed with leukemia. Your dad was probably boarder line; or controlling it with food (without knowing) & the chemo blew it up. My dad never used insulin until chemo. He controlled his with food for years.

Where was he treated? My guess is they were clueless.

Old 10-22-2012, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I'm so sorry for your loss. The cancer roller coaster is tough; once diagnosed; you never really know what will happen due to side effects. My dad was terminal leukemia; my hub stage 4 tonsil with good chances- both filled out 5 wishes when diagnosed in case things turned.

Before I forget- ask for an autopsy since you have no clue what really happened. You only have 1 chance to do it.

It sounds like your dad was not diabetic; at his age; it's hard to say because my dad was healthy all of his life until he turned 60ish. Diagnosed with enlarged prostate & type 2 diabetic. It is very hard to control while doing chemo; especially at that age. My dad was 68 when diagnosed with leukemia. Your dad was probably boarder line; or controlling it with food (without knowing) & the chemo blew it up. My dad never used insulin until chemo. He controlled his with food for years.

Where was he treated? My guess is they were clueless.
Thanks.

He was not diabetic until the end of August. He started chemo in July. Towards the end of August his pancreas stopped working. He was fine on a Friday night and woke up Saturday morning feeling weak. His eyesight was going. My parents thought it was results of the chemo and that all of a sudden it was hitting him hard. That's the point when he started insulin.

I don't know exactly where he was treated. It was in FL and I'm in VA. I could find out.

Old 10-22-2012, 04:11 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
We really need to redouble our efforts to find a cure of pancreatic cancer.

I extend my condolences. I hate this kind of news.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:03 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,794,686 times
Quote:
Thanks. They caught it early, but he did not do well with the chemo. It definitely moved quickly after that. One good thing is that, at least to my knowledge, up to the last few days there was no pain.
so sorry for your loss.

Old 10-23-2012, 03:13 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,480,822 times
I am so sorry for your loss. Pancreatic cancer is one of the worse to have. It doesn't sound like he was in a lot of pain, which is good. It is scary how fast things can go downhill, especially being as he was first diagnosed as stage 1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer