Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2011, 09:15 AM

1,922 posts, read 3,987,362 times

Advertisements

I have a brand new car that has a 3 foot long scratch on the driver side after being parked on the street. It starts over the left front tire and ends towards the driver side door. I am taking it tomorrow to see if it can be buffed out, but if not I am going to take it to an auto body shop. How do I find out how much it costs? Next to property damage, it says $317. Is this my deductible? And how much I would have to pay? Can someone please explain this to me?

I've never reported a claim or anything. I usually just go to an auto body shop and pay, but this scratch is pretty long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2011, 09:20 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,173,765 times
The shop will give you an estimate.
Now you will know the cost.

are all your delectables $317?

collision, comprehensive, etc etc

If the damage costs less than your delectable you shouldn't file just pay out of your pocket.
If you file the chances are your rates will go up.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:38 AM

1,922 posts, read 3,987,362 times
No, my deductible is $500. That seems a lot to me for a scratch. It's long, but its no bigger than an inch wide, my car is a dark color so it isn't too noticeable. I think I am going to just see if I can get it buffed out.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:52 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,651,987 times
From your quick description..... $317 doesn't sound bad... If it can't be buffer out. It's hard to blend in and match paint. Go scratch a wall in your house. How long does it take to fix that?

Sent from my autocorrect butchering device.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:56 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,271,444 times
A scratch would be covered under Comprehensive which is any damage that is non-accident collision related. The deductible is unlikely to be $317 as it will be a whole number such as $100, $200, or $500 which you chose at the time. The $317 is probably your premium cost for this coverage. You need to call your insurance company to find out your deductibles and write them down on your policy so you know them. They are seperate amounts for comprehensive and collision. Fyi, glass may or may not be covered under comprehensive you should ask so you know. Also find out if comprehensive claims affect your premiums when you are talking to them.

When you have damage the body shop will give you an estimate of cost and you may need more than one from more than one place before having any work done. The insurance company may want to inspect any damage before work is commenced to approve it and let you know how much they will pay based on the estimates of work. Estimates are generally free but may not be. You can have this done without penalty for decision making purposes. It is when you actually file a formal claim that it may (or may not) effect your insurance. I agree that it may be better to pay this incident out of pocket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance