Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 09:43 PM

943 posts, read 1,199,058 times

Advertisements

I don't know if this is the right forum or not:

My friend and I have been discussing theoretically what the maximum penalty would be for driving without a license, nor insurance, and speeding at 150-175mph on an interstate in the early hours of the morning along with crossing state lines with a drunk passenger?

How much extra would it be if you made the cops chase you, i.e. refused to pull over.

Are we talking a large fine (100,000) or possible weeks in county jail?

States:
NY, NJ, PA, MD, DC, VA and FL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2014, 09:54 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,215,167 times
Probably death....

Old 03-23-2014, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
Probably death....
I'm talking if the car is successfully driven.

Also, if we up the speed to 190-205mph - and it's late it night, do you think there would be cops on the interstate, and do you think they'd attempt and stop it, or just wait for the crash?

Old 03-23-2014, 10:24 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,106,413 times
If you're planning on doing some upcoming "gumball" rally or similar, then you need to set up a lawyer in every town along your route in advance.

Most of the guys that do that stuff also generally have a very sophisticated system of runners on the roads with them... The runners drive 90-100 in a 70mph so they get pulled over by any cops, while 3-4 miles behind them the main car is going even faster, with the intent being that any cops will be dealing with the previous caught speeder and won't be able to clock them. Obviously, setting all this up costs a LOT of money, I've heard some estimates of $50k and more.

I can tell you that when I got clocked back in the day for 130 in a 70, and also no insurance, it wasn't cheap. They also threw the book at me and wrote me an unsafe lane change ticket and reckless driving. If I would have had to pay all that, it would have cost me $4k, and this was 20 years ago. As it was I only had to pay the speeding and unsafe lane change ticket, which came out to about $500. I had insurance, so that one got dismissed, and reckless driving I also got dismissed.

Why you would even think about doing something like this without a license or insurance is even worse. They will haul you off to jail on the spot. For failure to stop, they'll also charge you with evading arrest (Yes I have some experience with that one too. It ain't cheap.)

Figure $50k or more if things go really badly for you, losing your license, having your car impounded/crushed, and jail time, which could be for several months if a judge denies you bail while you wait for a trial in some podunk town.

Old 03-23-2014, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous725 View Post
I'm talking if the car is successfully driven.

Also, if we up the speed to 190-205mph - and it's late it night, do you think there would be cops on the interstate, and do you think they'd attempt and stop it, or just wait for the crash?
The only answer I can honestly give you, is death. All I ask is if you are determined to be that stupid, then PLEASE don't take anyone with you.

Old 03-23-2014, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
If you're planning on doing some upcoming "gumball" rally or similar, then you need to set up a lawyer in every town along your route in advance.

Most of the guys that do that stuff also generally have a very sophisticated system of runners on the roads with them... The runners drive 90-100 in a 70mph so they get pulled over by any cops, while 3-4 miles behind them the main car is going even faster, with the intent being that any cops will be dealing with the previous caught speeder and won't be able to clock them. Obviously, setting all this up costs a LOT of money, I've heard some estimates of $50k and more.

I can tell you that when I got clocked back in the day for 130 in a 70, and also no insurance, it wasn't cheap. They also threw the book at me and wrote me an unsafe lane change ticket and reckless driving. If I would have had to pay all that, it would have cost me $4k, and this was 20 years ago. As it was I only had to pay the speeding and unsafe lane change ticket, which came out to about $500. I had insurance, so that one got dismissed, and reckless driving I also got dismissed.

Why you would even think about doing something like this without a license or insurance is even worse. They will haul you off to jail on the spot. For failure to stop, they'll also charge you with evading arrest (Yes I have some experience with that one too. It ain't cheap.)

Figure $50k or more if things go really badly for you, losing your license, having your car impounded/crushed, and jail time, which could be for several months if a judge denies you bail while you wait for a trial in some podunk town.
I can understand the need of having a lawyer already retained - however, I don't think it's possible to inform all counties/towns between NYC and DC, that's 220 miles of road.

I have no idea what a "gumball rally" is. But I get the idea of having runners. In honesty, $50,000 to evade getting caught by cops would be a great deal, especially considering how much the cars would be worth if seized and resold.

So we're looking at no more than $100,000 in fines if things go belly up, but how much jail time do you think you'd get for something like this? more than 30 days? Do you think it would go to trial, if you could cut a large fine deal with the DA?

Old 03-23-2014, 11:14 PM

1,218 posts, read 3,473,200 times
I don't think a cop would attempt to chase at over 175 mph

they would probably call in air support to try and keep them in sight I guess

Old 03-23-2014, 11:20 PM

Here in Ill. there is a no chase policy which takes effect at 100mph. The officer is required to drop back at even lower speeds if he has a description and a tag number. They will simply radio ahead and deploy spike strips, then you WILL stop one way or the other.

Old 03-23-2014, 11:21 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,710,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cats234 View Post

Good point, Cats.

Also, at those ridiculous speeds the fuel tank would probably be empty in no time.

Old 03-23-2014, 11:39 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,192,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cats234 View Post

I would hope they would observe the idiot driver by helicopter and set up a road block. Since whipping posts are no longer allowed I guess some time in prison general population might help the person think before doing that again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance