Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 05:20 AM

359 posts, read 779,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
i was on a group plan before the purchase i made today, and wanted to see if i could get a better deal on my own before signing up, so i didnt go ahead and go with the group plan.

since i just bought the car can i drive it without insurance? thanks.
Yes you can.

Your current policy automatically covers you for the new car for next 30 days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 05:40 AM

4,268 posts, read 8,168,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
You can actually think this through for yourself...

Let's say you pull out of the dealer's lot with the new car you just borrowed mucho bucks for, and at the first intersection you cause a terrible accident in which both your car and another's car are totally demolished and people are seriously injured.

Who is going to pay for all the damages? Sorta looks like it might hit $500,000 in damages and YOU are legally responsible for every penny of it. So who will wind up paying the bill?

Your theoretical "I hope they still cover it" former insurance company? Or the agent you specifically arranged for coverage with, who actually bound a policy for you?

Not hard, is it?
I have a friend that something similar happened to, although not to that extreme.

He had gotten out of the Army, and had saved up to buy a used Honda CRX Si (this was the early 90's). At that time, the internet really wasn't there to do insurance, so, you had to go to or call your local insurance agent.

Well, he goes and picks the car up and drives away to the insurance agent. Pulls up at a stop sign and can't see... Pulls up a little bit further, too far, unfortunately, and someone coming down the street hits him.

Cost him 6K to repair the car, lost his license, and then had to carry high risk insurance for years after.

Moral of the story... If you have a question on it... call your insurance company!

Old 07-29-2014, 06:04 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,834,088 times
in minnesota btw.

Old 07-29-2014, 07:12 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,413,557 times
In MN, as long as the customer had a valid, current insurance card, they were good to go (I think they had a 2 week grace period to add the new car.)

I worked at a dealership and the requirement for anyone driving off the lot in the car they bought was that they had a current insurance card.

Old 07-29-2014, 07:37 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,729,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
In MN, as long as the customer had a valid, current insurance card, they were good to go (I think they had a 2 week grace period to add the new car.)

I worked at a dealership and the requirement for anyone driving off the lot in the car they bought was that they had a current insurance card.
Yeah but does just having current valid insurance cover the just newly purchased car?

Old 07-29-2014, 08:17 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Yeah but does just having current valid insurance cover the just newly purchased car?
Yes. In the state of Minnesota, the laws were (this was 2010 or so) such that you had a grace period, during which you're newly purchased car was covered, that you were supposed to call your insurance agent and notify him. I think the grace period was two weeks but am uncertain on that point.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:45 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,084,776 times
I thought the OP said he was not currently covered under an insurance policy. If so it isn't a matter of being covered under his current insurance HE DOESN"T HAVE ANY!!!!

I'm not sure what he means by previously being under a 'group plan' vs 'individual plan' but if he cancelled his previous coverage I don't see what grace period or automatic coverage there would be.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:10 AM

11,758 posts, read 14,644,267 times
Years ago I was buying a car from my sister on the front end of a two-week vacation, so I had a lot of scrambling to do before I left town--finishing up the loan paperwork, packing, all the stuff at my office--the works. I was tempted to let my insurance company slide, but I was glad I didn't because on my way home, late at night, I hit a deer on the highway. It didn't total the car but it would have been very expensive if I hadn't had the insurance already.

Might I have been covered already? Maybe, but I'm glad I didn't find out the hard way.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:26 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,070,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
You are NOT going to get a plate...either permanent, or temporary, without insurance. So, then the question becomes who will let you drive off the lot without a registration of some sort?

Nobody.

It could be that a call to your insurance agent with the new vehicle particulars, usually by the dealer, will have the insurance transferred to the new vehicle. The agent will then issue the ID cards--and sort out the financials (bill) at a later date.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:07 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Yes, your existing insurance covers you for a while on a new purchase (doesn't matter, I call State Farm and give them the VIN before I even leave the lot) - but the op said he's not on any plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance