Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2017, 12:13 PM

64 posts, read 49,099 times

Advertisements

Hey There,

Had a car accident at a parking lot, in April 2017 . Police came and report was filled, person who crashed my car stated on police report being distracted on the phone as she was driving. She reported on the phone to her insurance Progressive and I reported to Geico. No physical injuries on any part, except from some neck pain that lasted for about a couple of days and went away. my car was totaled lost and Geico paid my car dealer the remaining of the car balance, I paid the $500 deductible to Geico.

Ive been on the phone with Geico and Progressive so many times! anyways Her insurance, Progressive has called me multiple times to request my statement over the phone to two different adjusters which I did. I got a call from one of the adjuster stating that they will send me a check for $600 for bodily injuries. even tho I stated to progressive having a bit of neck pain for a couple of days that went away.

Today I got another call from geico asking me to give them another statement about the accident. I am so frustrated as I already have gave my statement to progressive. There is also the police report that states that the other lady was distracted on the phone.

Ive never had a car accident before and so far this has been the most traumatic experience considering the amount of calls and statements I am giving. I dont know what else to do? Should i hire an attorney? I really dont want to deal with this anymore.

Is this a normal procedure?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2017, 01:57 PM

14,415 posts, read 14,337,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helloaloha View Post
Hey There,

Had a car accident at a parking lot, in April 2017 . Police came and report was filled, person who crashed my car stated on police report being distracted on the phone as she was driving. She reported on the phone to her insurance Progressive and I reported to Geico. No physical injuries on any part, except from some neck pain that lasted for about a couple of days and went away. my car was totaled lost and Geico paid my car dealer the remaining of the car balance, I paid the $500 deductible to Geico.

Ive been on the phone with Geico and Progressive so many times! anyways Her insurance, Progressive has called me multiple times to request my statement over the phone to two different adjusters which I did. I got a call from one of the adjuster stating that they will send me a check for $600 for bodily injuries. even tho I stated to progressive having a bit of neck pain for a couple of days that went away.

Today I got another call from geico asking me to give them another statement about the accident. I am so frustrated as I already have gave my statement to progressive. There is also the police report that states that the other lady was distracted on the phone.

Ive never had a car accident before and so far this has been the most traumatic experience considering the amount of calls and statements I am giving. I dont know what else to do? Should i hire an attorney? I really dont want to deal with this anymore.

Is this a normal procedure?
1. Unfortunately it seems as though the claims process is becoming longer. I'm running into insurance companies that want the most detailed, meticulous information now. Plus, the delay in getting back to claimants is growing. Insurance companies don't really hire adjusters any more. They hire people to gather hordes of information for them. Valuation of claims is often made by computer programs with companies like Allstate and Farmers. It sucks, but its impractical to do much about it particularly in disputes over property damage.

2. You didn't have to give a statement to the other person's carrier, Progressive. You do have to give one to your own insurance company, GEICO, if you expect them to honor obligations under the policy.

3. You probably can't hire an attorney. Because if you aren't injured there would be no point in one taking the case. Without an injury, an attorney is not going to take this case on a contingency fee basis. You'd be expected to pay by the hour and I doubt you can either afford or want to do that. If you call a local attorney, you can probably confirm everything I am telling you here.

4. If you aren't injured and don't intend to pursue a claim for injuries, there is no reason that you shouldn't take Progressive's $600 check for the inconvenience you've been through. If you do take it, it will probably come with a Release that will preclude you from pursuing an injury claim in the future.

Old 05-25-2017, 02:25 PM

15,427 posts, read 9,117,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
1. Unfortunately it seems as though the claims process is becoming longer. I'm running into insurance companies that want the most detailed, meticulous information now. Plus, the delay in getting back to claimants is growing. Insurance companies don't really hire adjusters any more. They hire people to gather hordes of information for them. Valuation of claims is often made by computer programs with companies like Allstate and Farmers. It sucks, but its impractical to do much about it particularly in disputes over property damage.

2. You didn't have to give a statement to the other person's carrier, Progressive. You do have to give one to your own insurance company, GEICO, if you expect them to honor obligations under the policy.

3. You probably can't hire an attorney. Because if you aren't injured there would be no point in one taking the case. Without an injury, an attorney is not going to take this case on a contingency fee basis. You'd be expected to pay by the hour and I doubt you can either afford or want to do that. If you call a local attorney, you can probably confirm everything I am telling you here.

4. If you aren't injured and don't intend to pursue a claim for injuries, there is no reason that you shouldn't take Progressive's $600 check for the inconvenience you've been through. If you do take it, it will probably come with a Release that will preclude you from pursuing an injury claim in the future.
Thats sounds like good advice. But for the record Allstate does have claims adjusters, at least for major damage. I have filed two claims with Allstate. One on my own policy, and one on the other parties policy. Both times they sent an adjuster to look at my car. No computer programs. It was a very slow process, but they did a good job evaluating the damage. I have wondered how they can afford it, and why they don't just cut a check and be done with it. But they definitely have adjustors.

Now that I think about it, that's probably why their insurance is so damned expensive. Especially if you have an accident.

Old 05-25-2017, 08:25 PM

13,134 posts, read 21,036,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
TBut for the record Allstate does have claims adjusters, at least for major damage.
For repairable damages, Allstate will use an adjuster. The adjusters however use specialized computer programs and databases to create the numbers. But, for a total loss they use CCC Information Systems to value your vehicle. CCC's computers and comparable methods are designed to create low ball offers dressed up as a preacher.

Last edited by Rabrrita; 05-25-2017 at 09:53 PM..

Old 05-26-2017, 04:15 AM

15,427 posts, read 9,117,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
For repairable damages, Allstate will use an adjuster. The adjusters however use specialized computer programs and databases to create the numbers. But, for a total loss they use CCC Information Systems to value your vehicle. CCC's computers and comparable methods are designed to create low ball offers dressed up as a preacher.
The adjuster I had, had experience in auto body work. He spent about three hours looking at my car, and ordering the parts to be shipped to the autobody shop. Obviously he was looking to find the cheapest price on parts. He then followed up with the shop on additional parts that had to be replaced.

I also had a total loss claim. In that case the adjuster spent a lot of time researching the replacement value of my car. He ended up paying me almost twice the value of the car, based on the replacement cost.

Both cases, they gave me long detailed reports on how they came up with the figures. It was obvious to me that they put a lot of work into the claim. It was not just generic data pull up on a computer. The reparable damage claim included a list of parts, the suppliers, and the price, and how much they would pay the shop for labor. The total loss claim included hundreds of detailed sales listings for cars of the same make and model from all over the state, gong back about one year.

Allstate did not lowball me on either claim. They did however double my premiums after the claim. So I dropped coverage with them. That was because of them jacking up my rates. Not because of the adjusters, whom I think did a very good job.

Old 05-26-2017, 06:12 AM

6,341 posts, read 14,701,768 times
There's no benefit at all to you to give a "statement" to an opposing insurance company. Nothing good will come of it, and it really can only be used against you.

Old 05-26-2017, 06:36 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,265,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Thats sounds like good advice. But for the record Allstate does have claims adjusters, at least for major damage. I have filed two claims with Allstate. One on my own policy, and one on the other parties policy. Both times they sent an adjuster to look at my car. No computer programs. It was a very slow process, but they did a good job evaluating the damage. I have wondered how they can afford it, and why they don't just cut a check and be done with it. But they definitely have adjustors.

Now that I think about it, that's probably why their insurance is so damned expensive. Especially if you have an accident.

Those people are appraisers, not adjusters

Old 05-26-2017, 12:18 PM

14,496 posts, read 20,693,049 times
Quote:
Had a car accident at a parking lot, in April 2017 . Police came and report was filled, person who crashed my car stated on police report being distracted on the phone as she was driving. No physical injuries on any part, except from some neck pain that lasted for about a couple of days and went away.
Car totaled in a parking lot and you had neck pains for two days?
I'd not cash that check and clear negligence on the part of the other driver with that cell phone involved.

If their insurance is Progressive I would not give them the time of day on the phone. Speak to an attorney first. The initial consultation is no charge. Dozens in your phone book.

If you do not want to deal with it any more then cash the check and use your own health insurance for any medical issues you may have related to the accident in the future.

We received $250 from an insurance company because their driver let their foot slightly release off the brake pedal in the drive thru line at Burger King.

We got $250 for that and you only got $600 for an accident that totaled your vehicle?

We are not an attorney we only share experiences.

Old 05-29-2017, 12:37 PM

64 posts, read 49,099 times
Default Zippyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
There's no benefit at all to you to give a "statement" to an opposing insurance company. Nothing good will come of it, and it really can only be used against you.
Zippyman, you mentioned "There's no benefit at all to you to give a "statement" to an opposing insurance company. Nothing good will come of it, and it really can only be used against you.

what does that mean it can be used against me?

Old 05-29-2017, 12:54 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,587,883 times
Quote:
Zippyman, you mentioned "There's no benefit at all to you to give a "statement" to an opposing insurance company. Nothing good will come of it, and it really can only be used against you.

what does that mean it can be used against me?

Whatever you say can be used against you. Insurance companies are not your friend. It has to be a hell of a hit to hurt you and total your car. How freaking fast was the other driver going?
I believe cashing the check they offer may be taken as you settled.
I would consult a lawyer even though you're not hurt now you were hurt before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance