Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2020, 08:05 PM

3 posts, read 1,578 times

Advertisements

I have a credit score of 650 and have a good driving record (No accidents or traffic tickets in the last 5 years)

I read that these companies are the cheapest for someone like me:

StateFarm, Allstate, and Progressive in the article here:

Mod cut.

Are there any local companies I should know about that have better deals?

I live in Austin.

Thanks!

Last edited by PJSaturn; 01-21-2020 at 10:38 AM.. Reason: New members may not post links.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2020, 10:38 AM

1,185 posts, read 750,679 times
There are far too many rating variables to make that decision for you. My advice would be to contact a local independent agent and have them shop for you.

Old 01-17-2020, 10:46 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,903,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorns2117 View Post
Better deals for some are not necessarily better deals for others.

Make a list of local insurance sources and get quotes based on YOU.

That's the ONLY way you find out the best deal for YOU.

Old 01-17-2020, 10:54 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,303,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorns2117 View Post
I have a credit score of 650 and have a good driving record (No accidents or traffic tickets in the last 5 years)

I read that these companies are the cheapest for someone like me:

StateFarm, Allstate, and Progressive in the article here:

https://www.johnnyjet.com/best-car-insurance-texas/

I live in Austin.

Thanks!
Your best bet is to go to an independent insurance agent in a brick and mortar building and discuss the issue with him/her.

Please don't limit yourself to internet searches. The internet is not the best way to buy every product and service.

Also, please focus on more than just price. All insurance companies are not equal. Before you make a decision consider pricing insurance with Cincinnati Insurance, Auto Owners, AMICA, and the Hartford. If you have any connection to the military than consider USAA Insurance as well. Frankly, Allstate and Progressive are "tier three companies". I'd call State Farm a "tier two" company, or average, but no better than that when it comes to claims service.

Old 01-17-2020, 11:28 AM

1,185 posts, read 750,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Your best bet is to go to an independent insurance agent in a brick and mortar building and discuss the issue with him/her.

Please don't limit yourself to internet searches. The internet is not the best way to buy every product and service.

Also, please focus on more than just price. All insurance companies are not equal. Before you make a decision consider pricing insurance with Cincinnati Insurance, Auto Owners, AMICA, and the Hartford. If you have any connection to the military than consider USAA Insurance as well. Frankly, Allstate and Progressive are "tier three companies". I'd call State Farm a "tier two" company, or average, but no better than that when it comes to claims service.
Not all of those carriers even provide personal lines in Austin, TX, and USAA's rates in TX are a bit challenging right now.

End of the day, local is better - as you've stated.

Old 01-18-2020, 04:59 AM

32 posts, read 23,653 times
I'd be more focused on how they settle claims than saving a few dollars. The last thing anyone needs is having an insurance company that does not respond appropriately, when needed. From my experience, the ones with cute characters in their commercials often don't stand up.

Go to an independent agency and let them help you.

Old 01-20-2020, 11:32 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,991,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Change Request View Post
I'd be more focused on how they settle claims than saving a few dollars. The last thing anyone needs is having an insurance company that does not respond appropriately, when needed. From my experience, the ones with cute characters in their commercials often don't stand up.

Go to an independent agency and let them help you.
Exactly.

AND . . . visit a couple of local autobody shops and ASK what insurance company is the easiest to work with if you ever need autobody work. Some are great to work with while others will nickel and dime you and stretch out any claim or body work.

Old 01-25-2020, 03:23 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,737,232 times
The answer to car insurance is shop them. Get quotes, than take the lowest quote to an Independent Insurance Agent and ask if they can beat it.

Old 01-25-2020, 05:35 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,303,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
The answer to car insurance is shop them. Get quotes, than take the lowest quote to an Independent Insurance Agent and ask if they can beat it.
Yeah, but this ignores what most of us have been saying....its not just about the lowest cost. Its about the best value. People who have their insurance with Allstate don't have the same product that people who have their insurance with Auto Owners, AMICA, USAA, or Kemper do.

When someone says "shop the rates". There is more involved in shopping than simply taking the lowest price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance