Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2020, 07:30 PM

1 posts, read 647 times

Advertisements

hello cam someone please answer my question.
i have ins thru farmers ins over 25 years
total personal cars 3 and 1 commercial truck.
i contacted agent to cancel ins on 1 personal car and 1 commercial truck was told not that easy i cant just cancel. wont be using either vechicle at all both parked due to covid crisis. i was told if i try to cancel will lose registration and be charged fine by dmv. i understand registration will be cancelled not needed untill maybe july. he then advised i pay with stimulus funds goverment will be sending. if i cancel for 3-4 months i would like to do so cars wont me moved at all its a saving of 340 a month for me. im in california any suggestions please. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2020, 04:32 AM

5,674 posts, read 5,885,028 times
How much would it cost to reregister them when, in 3 - 4 months, you put them back on theroad?

Old 04-03-2020, 05:01 AM

1,831 posts, read 3,201,438 times
It sounds like Farmers Insurance is trying to keep their revenues going. If it is a short term deal, though, could your drop your insurance down to just liability coverage?

Old 04-03-2020, 05:02 AM

9,981 posts, read 5,684,706 times
If you have liens on the vehicles whose policies you're trying to cancel, then your agent is right. Keeping present full coverage is almost always a condition to a loan on a vehicle. If they're paid off or otherwise owned outright and it's just a matter of not being able to keep them registered, that's between you and the state and it's none of your insurance company's business.

Old 04-03-2020, 05:49 AM

6,456 posts, read 3,150,862 times
The OP lives in California, so whatever he does, it HAS to comply with CA rules. Having said that, if he were in NY, he could cancel his insurance at any time, HOWEVER he'd have to turn in the plates, as it would no longer be legal to drive the car.

The also mentioned points about keeping "fire and theft" coverage on the car, if there's an outstanding loan on it, would also be something that would have to be taken into consideration.

With the current business closings, due to the virus crisis, many DMV offices are closed until further notice, so "un-registering" your car, then "re-registering" it, could be a major hassle.

I have a car that I drive in the summer only, and have my insurance through State Farm. They have a provision that allows me to put the car in "withdrawl from use" during the winter months. This plan allows me to meet the absolute minimum insurance requirements for the state, so I can retain the plates, therefore avoiding the 2 treks per year, to DMV.

Old 04-07-2020, 05:31 AM

1,314 posts, read 1,157,546 times
You'd have to cancel the entire policy. I'm fairly certain Farmer's requires ALL vehicles registered or owned by the insured to be listed on the policy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance