Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2020, 12:40 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,852,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyk72 View Post
Would this be considered a surchargeable accident - I googled it and answer was for state of MA, it's when a claim payment is more than $1K. Does that mean this won't be considered surchargeable? If it is not, are there still reason to believe my premiums will go up?
Again, ask your insurance co. We don't even know what company it is. If the other driver pursues a claim they're going to find out about the accident. If she reports the accident you could be surcharged. If you pay her out of pocket and don't file a claim to repair your own car no insurance cos get involved. The way they'll look at it is: your negligence caused damage. If a claim is filed, your carrier has to pay for that. In their eyes you're a higher risk that costs them more to insure. They will want to recoup their losses and do it by raising your rate. They may use that surchargeable limit to scale how much your rate goes up, but it probably will go up. How much? Can't tell you.

Last edited by Parnassia; 06-07-2020 at 02:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2020, 01:29 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,908,150 times
I think I found the site that you found:

https://www.insurewithrichardson.com...rge-threshold/

Which led me to two government sites that explain the Safe Driver Insurance Plan.

https://www.mass.gov/info-details/sa...ance-plan-sdip

https://www.mass.gov/info-details/su...able-incidents

Even if you don't get surcharged for the accident I think that you still might face an increase in premium. If you qualified for preferred (discounted) rates before the accident and no longer qualify for discounted rates after the accident, the removal of the discount is not a surcharge. You can check with the Insurance Department or the Merit Rating Board to see if that is correct.

Old 06-07-2020, 03:16 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,041,802 times
I've been told that when in an accident where both drivers are present, but able to think clearly and walk away, you are supposed to collect each other's insurance info and contact each other's insurance company - not your own.

I didn't do so, but contacted my own insurer later that day(I'm clueless about such matters!) Because I did that, my insurer said they went through a process called 'subrogation' - whatever that means! - and combined with the police report which ruled in my favor, gave me a totalled payment that I could use toward a replacement vehicle, a couple weeks after the crash.

Old 06-07-2020, 04:53 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times
For a $700 repair, I would not get insurance involved at all. Unless you just don't have the $700. No reason to have a collision claim on file over that amount.

Old 06-07-2020, 05:26 PM

1,161 posts, read 467,023 times
Was there an accident report? Were you cited?

I clipped another car the very first day I got my license. I just paid for the other guy's repairs and no one, including my parents, ever knew about the incident.

If you can get out of this for $700 just by paying directly for her repairs, that's what I would do - especially if you're a young driver. Some form of release would be nice, but it's not essential if the parked car was empty and there's no possibility of some crazy personal injury claim.

If there was a citation, your insurance company will know about it and your rates likely will go up unless you have first-accident forgiveness.

Local insurance agents are typically customer-friendly and are likely to give you pretty good guidance as to whether it's a good idea to handle this off-the-record if you can. Backing into a parked car isn't exactly being arrested for DUI while doing 100 mph.

Old 06-07-2020, 06:26 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,998,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Edited to add:

The other car owner might not bother to submit a claim...their deductible might be higher than yours!
the deductible is irrelevant to the car that was hit. the driver that hit the car will either pay out of pocket or their insurance will. deductible only falls into play if the driver wants the scratches on their car fixed.. and yes the rates will go up

Old 06-07-2020, 07:27 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,826,941 times
thanks all. I'll definitely call the insurance agent that I used to buy the policy tomorrow- Monday. I didnt know collision coverage is only to fix my own car in event of an accident - now I know. I dont have accident forgiveness unfortunately.

No police report. After the incident, I ring the doorbell and told the other driver I backed into her car. She then gave me a quote of the repair cost. zthats pretty much the only thing that happened so far. Want to say Thanks to everyone... you guys have been very helpful.

Old 06-07-2020, 07:53 PM

6,456 posts, read 3,980,997 times
Quote:
I know... was just thinking out loud. I was actually looking for kids and made sure was all clear, then moved my car forgetting about the car right across my driveway since almost no one parks there.

I dont think the other driver will let it go ... why would she leave a scratch on her car when it can be fixed on someone else's dime, right. Plus, it took no time for her to give me a quote from her mechanic.

Am I supposed to give the other driver my insurance info?

If I pay the $400 deductible of my collision insurance to get the other car repaired, do I pay another $400 to get mine repaired? or is it just one $400 for repairing both cars since it's a single event??

Thanks for your replies and help.
Yes, she will not leave a scratch on her car that someone else caused, you're right. Why would she? Would you?

I suppose you don't have to give her your insurance info if you'd rather her insurance company calls you asking for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
I've been told that when in an accident where both drivers are present, but able to think clearly and walk away, you are supposed to collect each other's insurance info and contact each other's insurance company - not your own.

I didn't do so, but contacted my own insurer later that day(I'm clueless about such matters!) Because I did that, my insurer said they went through a process called 'subrogation' - whatever that means! - and combined with the police report which ruled in my favor, gave me a totalled payment that I could use toward a replacement vehicle, a couple weeks after the crash.
It might have been helpful for you to ask them what subrogation meant. You don't want to be "clueless about such matters" when you need to know-- like when you've just had an accident.

Old 06-07-2020, 08:26 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,310,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Yes, she will not leave a scratch on her car that someone else caused, you're right. Why would she? Would you?

I suppose you don't have to give her your insurance info if you'd rather her insurance company calls you asking for it.

It might have been helpful for you to ask them what subrogation meant. You don't want to be "clueless about such matters" when you need to know-- like when you've just had an accident.
Subrogation is a legal term which means that after your insurance company pays you it reserves the right to pursue the other driver and his insurance company for reimbursement. Often such decisions are made by intercompany panels chosen mutually by auto insurers.

Old 06-07-2020, 08:36 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,908,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post

I didn't do so, but contacted my own insurer later that day(I'm clueless about such matters!) Because I did that, my insurer said they went through a process called 'subrogation' - whatever that means! -

Subrogation: When you get hit by an at fault driver and your company pays to repair your car, your company has the right to reimbursement from the at fault driver or his/her insurance company. That's called subrogation. Your insurance company typically collects the entire amount of the claim including your deductible and refunds the deductible to you when it gets paid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irkle Berserkle View Post

Local insurance agents are typically customer-friendly and are likely to give you pretty good guidance as to whether it's a good idea to handle this off-the-record if you can.

I disagree. Calling the agent is a bad idea because the agent is obligated to report the accident to the insurance company. An agent who conceals information from his insurance company can be terminated by that company potentially at the cost of his livelihood.

Quote:
thanks all. I'll definitely call the insurance agent that I used to buy the policy tomorrow-

See my previous comment before you do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post

Yeah, it's always a good idea for people who buy insurance to actually read their policies instead of leaving it in the envelope and throwing it into a drawer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance