Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2021, 11:27 AM

1,704 posts, read 804,442 times

Advertisements

So many commercials and I'm trying to figure out who the average person is who can save that much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2021, 11:41 AM

6,340 posts, read 4,892,353 times
The commercials are bulls--t, though many are very creative and fun to watch. Mayhem and Life Comes at You Fast were great commercials. Flo and the LIMU Emu annoyed me.

The best way to save money on car insurance is to drive safely, obey traffic laws, avoid tickets and accidents, pay all your bills on time (credit score) and shop around every renewal to make sure you are getting the best rates.

There are things you can do to keep your rates down even if you don't change companies.

Take an online driver ed course every three years. There's a discount for that.

Put your car and home insurance in the same company. There's a discount for that.

Carefully read your declarations pages and make sure you are properly classified. Pay particular attention to the annual mileage classification. If you've been driving less due to Covid, get the adjustment.

Old 05-19-2021, 12:14 PM

551 posts, read 1,573,626 times
Yes..We saved more than that switching from State farm in Texas to Progressive in Lousiana
Had our driving monitered in 3 cars for 6 months and it went down to $1600 yearly.

Old 05-19-2021, 12:25 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,253,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgdriver74 View Post
So many commercials and I'm trying to figure out who the average person is who can save that much.
I built a new house on the gulf coast and needed insurance. I had been with State Farm for over 40 years, house and cars. They wanted $2000 to insure house. I checked with Allstate and they said, insure house and cars with us and the house insurance will be $600 per year. I don’t remember the car rate, but it was more than 10% less than State Farm..I had a claim during Hurricane Katrina and they settled promptly and generously.

Old 05-19-2021, 12:55 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times
Not to bash Hartford Insurance (home & auto) who have been great to my family for the past 20 odd years but we saved over $1,000/year by recently switching to Allstate home and auto. We actually had been paying for things we did not need with Hartford and got better coverage on the things we needed with Allstate. However, I think that Allstate rates will "creep up" annually just as Hartford did so this time I plan to watch it more closely.

I had a hail damage claim on a roof with Allstate in the early 1980s and I recall that they paid rather slowly due to so many claims the adjusters were having to handle but they eventually paid, and adequately.

It definitely pays to shop around every few years for home and and auto insurance.

Old 05-19-2021, 01:18 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Not to bash Hartford Insurance (home & auto) who have been great to my family for the past 20 odd years but we saved over $1,000/year by recently switching to Allstate home and auto. We actually had been paying for things we did not need with Hartford and got better coverage on the things we needed with Allstate. However, I think that Allstate rates will "creep up" annually just as Hartford did so this time I plan to watch it more closely.

I had a hail damage claim on a roof with Allstate in the early 1980s and I recall that they paid rather slowly due to so many claims the adjusters were having to handle but they eventually paid, and adequately.

It definitely pays to shop around every few years for home and and auto insurance.
The mistake you are making is assuming that a mediocre company like Allstate is on par with Hartford.

Anyone can sell you a piece of paper saying you have insurance. At least, anyone licensed by the state can do so.

My experiences have primarily been with Allstate automobile insurance. However, I've seen them time and time again contest claims that were clearly worth their policy limits. After arbitration or extensive litigation I generally "persuaded" them to change their mind. However, its time consuming and what is frustrating is dealing with an adjuster who clearly lacks the authority to even be able to do what needs to be done. Allstate determines what they will pay on many losses based on a computer model that may or may not bear any relationship to reality.

I have no problem with insurance companies that are conservative. Because insurance companies are giving away their policyholder's money they should demand ample documentation before paying a claim. There is a difference though between being conservative and being unrealistic. Too often, Allstate is unrealistic.

Old 05-19-2021, 01:43 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
Every year come auto insurance renewal time, I check the rates from about 4 to 6 of the tops name companies. I do not find more then a 10% difference and some would only quote a 6 month rate when I want a yearly rate. I am with SAFECO who is owned by Liberty Mutual.

My advice is contact an Independent Agent or two and have them shop rates for you.

Old 05-19-2021, 02:04 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I have tried, but no one comes close to our insurance at State Farm. We get discounts for multi-car, multi-line, and accident-free. With full coverage on a 2017 pickup and a 2020 Outback, collision at $150 deductible, comprehensive, uninsured motorist, and rental car, altogether totals about $1,600/year.
When looking elsewhere it's $1,000-1,200 for just one of them.

Old 05-19-2021, 02:20 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
The mistake you are making is assuming that a mediocre company like Allstate is on par with Hartford.

Anyone can sell you a piece of paper saying you have insurance. At least, anyone licensed by the state can do so.

My experiences have primarily been with Allstate automobile insurance. However, I've seen them time and time again contest claims that were clearly worth their policy limits. After arbitration or extensive litigation I generally "persuaded" them to change their mind. However, its time consuming and what is frustrating is dealing with an adjuster who clearly lacks the authority to even be able to do what needs to be done. Allstate determines what they will pay on many losses based on a computer model that may or may not bear any relationship to reality.

I have no problem with insurance companies that are conservative. Because insurance companies are giving away their policyholder's money they should demand ample documentation before paying a claim. There is a difference though between being conservative and being unrealistic. Too often, Allstate is unrealistic.
My thought on insurance is that it should only exist to keep you from going broke in our modern litigious world and not that it should make you completely whole again. I only buy insurance in cases where the government requires it or where I could lose unrecoverable assets via bottom feeding lawyers and their dishonest claimants by not having it. And so like most people, I go with the best stated rates.

I've had labor-intensive experiences with every insurance company I've had to deal with, including Allstate, Hartford and especially Blue Cross Health but I understand that a company has to make a profit to remain in business. I don't enjoy working with, or against, lawyers but I have had quite a bit of success working against those in the insurance business who have tried to short change me.

Again, to me, sending any money to most insurance companies is as foolish as thinking you'll be leaving Las Vegas with more money than you came with.

Old 05-25-2021, 01:06 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
i think the only time i saved that much was when i moved to nyc from albany. we had geico insurance and when we moved, the cost went from around $900/year to $4,600/year for my wife's car. after shopping around, i got it down to $2,500.

soon my pool will be done and i will do some shopping for homeowners, auto and umbrella. i seem to pay more than everyone i know so maybe i will be able to save a few bucks. my square footage on the house is likely the big reason i pay so much more and i have ho5 not ho3.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance