Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2022, 02:44 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,896,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyaleWithCheese View Post
Thanks. This appears to be the NJ requirement:
NJ?

You've got a Florida zip code in your profile.

Quote:

It seems like the tow company isnt having an easy time getting the car out of the lot. Funny because I saw complaints in online reviews about the lot trying to hang onto the car to increase fees but the guy was relatively cooperative so I was hoping our experience would be good. I spoke to the adjuster the end of the day Tuesday and he said he was trying to get someone to evaluate the car in the original tow lot.
A flatbed truck and a forklift would do it.

Quote:
Yes, these are the citations issued:

However, I dont really know that she couldnt easily get those dismissed as the police did not witness the accident and I think that makes it much more likely that she could dispute them successfully.
Your wife is the witness to the careless driving. Make sure your wife goes to traffic court and testifies.

Quote:

I havent really talked to anybody with real knowledge but the more I think about this the more likely I think it is that she is going to sue me.
There is no "going to sue." There is either sue or not sue. Until your wife (and/or you) get handed a summons and complaint you aren't being sued. If you do get handed a summons and complaint turn it over to your insurance company to handle. Either way, don't lose any sleep over it.

Mod cut: Off-topic.

Quote:
The adjuster I spoke with mentioned that it has been taking 3-4+ months to repair cars, longer than he has ever seen.
The point is that cars ARE being repaired even if it takes 3-4 months. A court would see that as reasonable given the necessity.

Not saying that your insurance company would allow that. But who knows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
You keep saying this... why? Why would she sue you and for what?
Some people see the glass half full, some people see the glass half empty, some people see the glass on the floor, shattered.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-15-2022 at 10:54 PM..

Old 06-09-2022, 03:00 PM

2,612 posts, read 928,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
NJ?

You've got a Florida zip code in your profile.
Oops, eliminated.

Quote:
Your wife is the witness to the careless driving. Make sure your wife goes to traffic court and testifies.
This is to oppose the woman's case to dismiss her tickets? Interesting, I didnt think of that and I dont know how to get information to be able to submit a case against her in traffic court.

Quote:
There is no "going to sue." There is either sue or not sue. Until your wife (and/or you) get handed a summons and complaint you aren't being sued. If you do get handed a summons and complaint turn it over to your insurance company to handle. Either way, don't lose any sleep over it.
I dont really lose sleep, I have lots of insurance coverage including a $2 million umbrella. I am just the type of person that doesnt like surprises and likes to plan for anything that happens. Doesnt really mean it is bothering me, I just think a lot.

Mod cut: reply to comment which has been deleted.

Quote:
The point is that cars ARE being repaired even if it takes 3-4 months. A court would see that as reasonable given the necessity.

Not saying that your insurance company would allow that. But who knows?
True, if he says that it means they are waiting. I think I only have 30 days of car rental coverage though.

Quote:
Some people see the glass half full, some people see the glass half empty, some people see the glass on the floor, shattered.
I assume that this person is likely to see this as an opportunity to make money. We all hear about ambulance chaser attorneys and people suing frivolously and making money. We know she has very little money so I see it as likely she will see this as a chance to get some. Could be wrong and even if I am right I am not concerned. I am not sure of how much of a nuisance it would be for me.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-15-2022 at 10:55 PM..

Old 06-09-2022, 03:25 PM

This is to oppose the woman's case to dismiss her tickets? Interesting, I didnt think of that and I dont know how to get information to be able to submit a case against her in traffic court.

You can contact the city traffic prosecutor, advise that your wife is willing to testify and go from there.

That is how I forum talk. I am actually better than I used to be with that. But I tend to just type really fast and eliminate things I dont find necessary.

I've been a touch typist since junior high school. Learned on a typewriter with blank keys. I typed 6 days a week for two years on a manual typewriter in the Army. I've typed almost every day of my life, going to Selectrics and then to computer keyboards. I'm good for 50wpm on a good day. You might type faster but I don't lose any apostrophes.

I assume that this person is likely to see this as an opportunity to make money. We all hear about ambulance chaser attorneys and people suing frivolously and making money. We know she has very little money so I see it as likely she will see this as a chance to get some. Could be wrong and even if I am right I am not concerned. I am not sure of how much of a nuisance it would be for me.

You're right. You think too much.

Old 06-09-2022, 10:20 PM

Thanks, I will reach out to them.

I think the reality is that I am not normal and I do things differently than most people do them. What you see is not even my forum talk, it is me pretending to write like others do which I clearly am not being successful at.

So here is what I got in the mail today (I assume the other driver got this also).

Old 06-10-2022, 09:27 AM

Ambulance chasers. They got your info (and others) off police reports. Any lawyer who has to get business that way is one to avoid.

Same kind of letter you get from people who want to buy your house.

Old 06-10-2022, 09:37 AM

15,407 posts, read 7,472,574 times
Quote:
So I finally talked to the other driver's insurance company and it seems she has this "dollar a day" insurance coverage that essentially offers no liability coverage. So she is effectively an uninsured motorist. So I need to look to that portion on my policy. It may also mean that I am getting everything from my own insurance company which means I have greater risk of significantly higher future premiums and now if there is fighting, it will be between me and my insurance company.

This is what it says in the simple explanation they give on my insurance page for each line item of insurance coverages. I am going to print out the entire policy and read through it as soon as I can now.
Let your insurance company handle everything.

My wife had a couple of accidents where the other party wasn't insured, and our rates did not increase at all. Your rates should only go up if you are at fault.

Old 06-10-2022, 09:41 AM

15,407 posts, read 7,472,574 times
Quote:
Once I found out that there is no insurance on the other side, it does simplify things. My insurance company is now having the car towed somewhere and they will inspect to see if it is totaled or can be repaired. He indicated that it is likely totaled.

I have plenty of insurance but it is my understanding that using it can be held against me and increase my rates even if my wife isnt at fault. So I dont want to be sued.
The bolded isn't true at all.

Keep in mind that anyone can sue anyone else for any reason. Your insurance company will provide you a defense, and your rates should not go up if you are not at fault. Insurance companies deal with this all the time. I worked part time for a friend who was an attorney doing tort defense that was 90% car accident related. His advice was to let the insurance do their job, and that getting sued did not mean a rate increase, depending on the circumstances.

Old 06-10-2022, 10:11 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,097,194 times
Pardon for not reading the entire thread, but if you are sued, isn’t that the insurance company’s problem?

In addition to car insurance, my homeowners policy covers an additional half mil or so of liability, plus a half mil or so for slander, so I could seemingly blog about the fool and mock them over social media and even then they can hardly Jonny Depp me unless they want multiple millions.

It’s not in my character to do that, and I maybe misunderstand the specifics of that coverage, but I still find the concept amusing.

Old 06-10-2022, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcl View Post
Pardon for not reading the entire thread, but if you are sued, isn’t that the insurance company’s problem?

In addition to car insurance, my homeowners policy covers an additional half mil or so of liability, plus a half mil or so for slander, so I could seemingly blog about the fool and mock them over social media and even then they can hardly Jonny Depp me unless they want multiple millions.

It’s not in my character to do that, and I maybe misunderstand the specifics of that coverage, but I still find the concept amusing.
I have spoken to the insurance company and nobody is guaranteeing that my rates wont increase if they have to pay out money (based on that, I am sure I will get a standard increase over time).

Also, insurance companies can choose to drop you if they dont like your history. Theoretically it shouldnt hurt you if it isnt your fault but homeowners are dropped all the time for submitting claims that werent their fault. I have been dropped (or pushed to drop) homeowners insurance three times and one time I proved them wrong and they werent changing any decisions.

Old 06-10-2022, 12:40 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,591,959 times
Quote:
I have spoken to the insurance company and nobody is guaranteeing that my rates wont increase if they have to pay out money (based on that, I am sure I will get a standard increase over time).

Also, insurance companies can choose to drop you if they dont like your history. Theoretically it shouldnt hurt you if it isnt your fault but homeowners are dropped all the time for submitting claims that werent their fault. I have been dropped (or pushed to drop) homeowners insurance three times and one time I proved them wrong and they werent changing any decisions.
Curious, do you work direct with travelers or through a broker? Why do you have so many insurance issues/ concerns?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance