Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2024, 09:54 AM

79,075 posts, read 61,211,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsVulcan500 View Post
I'm sure most insurance companies will make this monitoring the standard, but I will hold out as long as possible next time.
The state department of insurance controls the marketplace so if you're worried about this being standard it will be their doing and not the insurance companies.

Additionally, the profit margins are regulated.

If you invented a magic rock that was placed in every glove box that cut car accidents by 50%, the state regulators are going to reduce premiums by the off-setting amount and the insurance company will make less total dollars of revenue and profit. This would subsequently hurt their stock price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 07:00 AM

7,240 posts, read 9,422,756 times
Is Your Driving Being Secretly Scored?

The insurance industry, hungry for insights into how people drive, has turned to automakers and smartphone apps like Life360.

free link: https://www.nytimes.com/2024/06/09/t...smid=url-share

"You know you have a credit score. Did you know that you might also have a driver score?

The score reflects the safety of your driving habits — how often you slam on the brakes, speed, look at your phone or drive late at night.

While you can see your credit score, you will have a harder time finding out what your driving score is. But auto insurance companies can get it — and that could affect the rate you pay.

For the last two decades, auto insurers have been trying to get people to enroll in programs, commonly called usage-based insurance plans, that monitor their day-to-day driving so rates better reflect the actual risk. But privacy-minded consumers have been reluctant to sign up."

Old Today, 07:24 AM

14,493 posts, read 14,467,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Is Your Driving Being Secretly Scored?

The insurance industry, hungry for insights into how people drive, has turned to automakers and smartphone apps like Life360.

free link: https://www.nytimes.com/2024/06/09/t...smid=url-share

"You know you have a credit score. Did you know that you might also have a driver score?

The score reflects the safety of your driving habits — how often you slam on the brakes, speed, look at your phone or drive late at night.

While you can see your credit score, you will have a harder time finding out what your driving score is. But auto insurance companies can get it — and that could affect the rate you pay.

For the last two decades, auto insurers have been trying to get people to enroll in programs, commonly called usage-based insurance plans, that monitor their day-to-day driving so rates better reflect the actual risk. But privacy-minded consumers have been reluctant to sign up."
I notice that Allstate is constantly running commercials trying to get people to get insurance through them and sign up for "drivewise".

I will never have insurance with Allstate. I think they are a crummy company. Plus, I will never sign up for a program that monitors my driving.

Old Today, 10:52 AM

7,240 posts, read 9,422,756 times
I was surprised that the App "Gas Buddy" includes a "Join Drives" button that opts you in.

"What is not made clear when people sign up for the features is that Arity also analyzes how risky their driving is for insurance purposes.

On GasBuddy, for instance, users can turn on a feature that rates the fuel efficiency of their drives, a feature “powered by Arity.” Brandon Logsdon, a spokesman for the company, said that users “agree to Arity’s Privacy Statement before they opt in to the Drives function.

But this agreement is in small gray font under a big red button labeled “Join Drives.” The tiny disclosure says simply that by clicking “Join Drives” you will share “certain information” with Arity and agree to Arity’s privacy statement, which is hyperlinked. The language does not explain what Arity is or does.

The company sells access to the driving scores of tens of millions of people. Auto insurance companies can “request a person’s individual driving score, which is delivered instantly,” according to Allstate’s website.

Old Today, 12:45 PM

6,177 posts, read 3,889,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upminster-1 View Post
These examples are why I passed on the insurance discount offer when I bought a new car seven months ago. The "car" is very smart and provides "alerts" for things that go way beyond safe driving. It just ins't smart enough to put the "data" in context.

The fact that I haven't had an accident/claim in several decades should be good enough.
Absolutely! That's the real proof of whether you are a dangerous driver or not. All of these indicators such as hard braking or sudden acceleration are simply someone's idea of what may cause or lead to an accident. Why rely on someone's theories when actual hard data is available to the insurance companies for the asking.

Old Today, 07:42 PM

2,356 posts, read 1,205,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
[b]
The company sells access to the driving scores of tens of millions of people. Auto insurance companies can “request a person’s individual driving score, which is delivered instantly,” according to Allstate’s website.
Exactly. The "safe driver discount" they offer to people who sign up for this is merely chump change. You think they're doing it out of the good of their heart because they care about you? Probably a write-off compared to what they gain from all the personal data collected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance