Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 01:30 PM

713 posts, read 3,438,061 times

Advertisements

Well my parents are going to give me one of their cars. Just need $3,000 more to pay it off. We agreed I pay half the monthly bill and the insurance on it and its mine. So still might get hit with a high interest rate but at least I won't have a 2 monthly payments to pay a month. I only make around $400/month working part time at 7.25 going to school so this should help. Thanks for the advise everyone. I will still wait and see where I will be 6 months from know and save up just in case something happens and i'm without a job for a month or two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 01:35 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,169,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgomez912 View Post
Well my parents are going to give me one of their cars. Just need $3,000 more to pay it off. We agreed I pay half the monthly bill and the insurance on it and its mine. So still might get hit with a high interest rate but at least I won't have a 2 monthly payments to pay a month. I only make around $400/month working part time at 7.25 going to school so this should help. Thanks for the advise everyone. I will still wait and see where I will be 6 months from know and save up just in case something happens and i'm without a job for a month or two.
that sounds like a great deal!

Mike

Old 01-11-2010, 01:47 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,018,343 times
[quote=Omaha Rocks;12397372]You've got a lot of things working against you, and they're really not your fault. You're an 18-year old male, so you are automatically in the highest risk group for insurance, regardless of how well you drive. There's just no way around that. About all you can do is remain ticket & accident free, get good grades, and get older.

Is there some reason your mom or dad won't add you to their policy, and let you pay the added premium? Multi-car discounts can really add up, as do discounts if you insure both your car and house with the same company.

/quote]

when I was a teen, my first war was a 66 Chevelle, then along with some winter beaters had a 70 1/2 Camaro. Even liability and comp was high back then ( '77-80 ), but one thing that helped as I got into my 20's was no tickets. Did I drive like an angel? Nope. Could have ( and prob should have ) lost the ol' license several times, with many street races, plus lots of WI back road runs with a case of cold ones and nothing ( but deer ) on the road. But even hitting 21 with no tix or accidents was big. Then 25, still no tix, and getting lower rates. And it kept on and on. At 47 ( knock knock ) and still nothing on the record, it has helped both my wife and I enjoy good rates on whatever we drive. Want something sporty? No problem. Added mods to her car and wanted a rider to cover all the costs? Done ( and cheap ). Now I still enjoy driving, just do it smarter.
So if you can behave, it will get better. And if you don't live at home where you can take advantage of the folk's coverage, then consider adding renters insurance if you live on your own. That $100 a year you may pay for that coverage could yield dividends on your car policy. Just a thought anyhow...

Old 01-11-2010, 02:50 PM

Thanks for the info. Some friends at school ask me why I just drive around with no insurance till I can afford it. Sounded funny to me since get in a bit of trouble and your car is toast plus maybe even a ticket. Tho I will never do that I know some of my friends drive cross country with no auto insurance in their parents car.

Old 01-11-2010, 05:46 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,715,148 times
Quote:
Thanks for the info. Some friends at school ask me why I just drive around with no insurance till I can afford it. Sounded funny to me since get in a bit of trouble and your car is toast plus maybe even a ticket. Tho I will never do that I know some of my friends drive cross country with no auto insurance in their parents car.
Sounds like you are smart and your friends are morons! Driving with no insurance is very unwise!!!

Old 10-21-2012, 07:00 PM

52 posts, read 137,008 times
Default sounds like you're in a tough situation

Not only do you not have credit or driving history, you also don't have any adults to co-sign for you with good credit. If I were you, I would first look at getting all the "young driver auto insurance discounts" possible, such as:
- good grade discount
- driving class discount (take a safe driving class)
- get a safe car with safety features

I would also look at getting a 12 month policy (as opposed to 6 months)... those are cheaper!

Check out these sources for more information -
Get Auto Insurance for Young Drivers - Cheap Car Insurance for Young Drivers
How to Get Cheap Insurance for Young Drivers | eHow.com

Old 10-21-2012, 07:07 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,647,124 times
all seriousness...

I wouldn't touch a 2003 Accent yet alone have a loan on one. Maybe if it was free...

If I was in your suggestion, I would get a late 90s manual transmission Saturn for $500-2k.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:38 PM

This is a very old thread of mine but thanks anyway for posting.

Old 06-08-2013, 10:29 AM

2 posts, read 5,194 times
Quote:
So I plan to get my first car in a few weeks with $500 down. Car in mind is a 2003 Hyundai Accent since its the cheapest car at carmax in my area. I live in San Antonio, Texas, 18, male with no credit. All possible co-signers also have very bad credit.

On estimate, how much auto insurance would I have to pay? It all depends is different for each auto company but what should I at least expect to have to pay?

If you are getting a loan, lenders will not allow you to just have liability most of the time because their investment in the car. Males are rated higher than Females; age 18 plan on about $200 a month.

Old 06-08-2013, 10:52 AM

774 posts, read 2,601,286 times
Depending on where you live the insurance on that car could run anywhere for $100-$250 a month. Having something that isn't financed you will be able to carry only liability. This will save you a fair amount of money but don't be shocked if its still over $100 a month IF you live in a city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance