Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 10:24 PM

71 posts, read 430,256 times

Advertisements

4 years ago, progressive quoted me less than Geico. But I use Geico for house insurance, now. Weird, huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 10:27 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,018,750 times
Insurance isnt cheap in ca. The Hartford are total thieves.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:29 AM

1,213 posts, read 3,110,959 times
I have no desire to give GEICO my business. Not after their long-standing practice of donating radar/laser guns to police departments. More speeding tickets = GEICO can charge the offenders that are policyholders higher rates.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:04 AM

625 posts, read 3,635,253 times
Geico used to be fairly reasonable when they first came to nj. now they are through the roof. no insurance in nj is cheap which is sad

Old 03-23-2010, 08:17 AM

600 posts, read 1,609,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
Here in CA, Geico is not a deal. There are a number of companies that can match them or do better, and everyone who drives is sick to death of their incessant annoying radio ads anyway. Given the choice of a company that spends most of its money on marketing and one that spends money to give its customers a better experience, I'll take the latter every time. That's why I have my insurance with Amica.

Edit: I just ran an online quote and they wanted $600 more per year, compared to what I pay for auto and rental insurance with Amica.
Thanks for the advice! I told them I'll definitely be doing some shopping around when I get there.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:46 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,280,641 times
I think as long as you're comparing apples to apples - its most likely legit.

Although I just did a quick comparison with my current insurance (USAA). Geico is about 30% more....

Old 03-23-2010, 06:16 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,018,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnZ963 View Post
I have no desire to give GEICO my business. Not after their long-standing practice of donating radar/laser guns to police departments. More speeding tickets = GEICO can charge the offenders that are policyholders higher rates.
I read about that somewhere. Its a win/win for geico & the govts (state, county or city) who get your hard earned money. LOTS of crooks in this world.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:58 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
I had GEICO and my experiences were mixed. I never had problems with them paying a claim. But two instances left me cold: 1) my ex got into an accident that could have easily been argued a no-fault if not placing the primary blame on the other driver but instead they just declared my ex was at fault and then jacked up our rates; 2) I asked if they provided coverage for driver training events such as autocrosses, and not only was the answer "no" but the a-holes actually canceled my policy just for asking.

Fortunately I got into an accident 3 days before the cancellation went into effect that dinged the bastards for $3,000 before they could dump me. But the day they dumped me just for asking a coverage question was the day I swore they'd never get my business again no matter how much it would save me.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:38 AM

371 posts, read 938,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEDIAMOND64 View Post
Hello,

We just got a quote that is half the yearly rate for the same coverage from Nationwide. Is it too good to be true? Anyone else with Geico that are happy or not?

Thanks a lot.
I called them quite awhile ago and they quoted a price 300 bucks cheaper than I was paying...Then I was told it was for 6 months...So 300 bucks cheaper than my full year price was no deal at all...The person on the phone was not amused when I asked if that price included a tank of gas once a week!!!

Old 03-24-2010, 08:06 AM

78,347 posts, read 60,547,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neekah18 View Post
Geico used to be fairly reasonable when they first came to nj. now they are through the roof. no insurance in nj is cheap which is sad
Due to their own state laws, congestion and other factors....NJ has the highest auto rates in the nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance