Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 11:11 AM

3,849 posts, read 9,423,988 times

Advertisements

I switched car insurance companies 2 months ago because I wanted a lower rate. I went from one well known company to another well known company (not some slimy company with no real agents), and I've been very satisfied so far...

Last week I checked my policy online and saw my new bill was $200! That's over double what I've been paying for 2 months ($95)! I called the new company and was informed I never provided proof that I had insurance previous to signing up with them--which I was never asked to do, anyway. Fine. I called my old company and had them fax over proof.

Today, I checked my bill, and it went down...but only to $135! I immediately called and was told that because I only had state-minimum liability coverage with my old company, they had to adjust my rate accordingly.

Has anyone ever heard of an insurance company raising your rate because of something like that? I'm absolutely livid, and I'm going to call them shortly to raise hell, but I want to make sure I know what I'm talking about before I do!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 11:21 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,423,702 times
You should have gotten a written contract that breaks down each part of the policy and how much it costs. They can't just arbitrarily change that.

I'd cancel the new one and find someone else.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:24 AM

660 posts, read 1,653,711 times
No, I don't see what difference what you paid or the coverage you had with your old company matters at all to them!

It's all in what you want NOW.

I can understand them checking to see what your claim history with the old company was, but that's about it.

Even the most well known names are guilty of giving you a lowball estimate to get you signed up and then "finding" reasons to raise them after that.

Did they give you an actual agent? He wants your business, so you are more likely he'll go to bat in your favor than calling the 800 number.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:20 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,431,350 times
Oh, that's BS! I'd cancel and switch for sure.

My company raised my rate when I removed my 20 year old son's sports car that he sold. Why? Because since his DL is still listing our house as his home address, even though he's got a job in another state temporarily, they have to cover him with full coverage under our most expensive vehicle.

Told them to blow it out their hole and switched to another company. Then I get a statement saying I owed them $30-some. Asked what for and they said partial month insurance coverage. Uh, no. Sorry. I paid a month in advance. If anything they owe me a half month.

I'm sick to death of auto insurance companies and their scams.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:23 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,423,702 times
Thank god for USAA.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:37 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Go to an agent that represents one well-known company that's been around for a long time, shake hands with the agent and sit down and tell him/her what your present insurer did. Tell him you want to deal with a company that will review your needs, give you the coverage you want, quote a fair price, and stick with it. Pay 6 months up front, if you can. (If you can't, start working on getting your personal finances and budget in shape.)

There is a company that advertises on TV that you should ask people who they insure with, and consider their recommendations. Good strategy. I've insured with that company (State Farm) for over 30 years, with at least 6 different agents, and never thought for a minute they were doing anything devious.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:52 PM

968 posts, read 2,624,836 times
USAA has been slowly raising my rates since i got with them, but when i check out other companies with the coverage that USAA offers, USAA is still a good 200 dollars cheaper.

my uncle is a state farm insurance agent and the favorite nephew discount cant even beat USAA.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:53 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
One word -Amica

Old 06-07-2010, 01:56 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,852,079 times
I get my best rates through AAA. Every 6 months, I shop around and they are always the lowest. No surprises...

Old 06-07-2010, 02:04 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
One word -Amica
Couldn't agree more. Good rates, good communication and no funny business..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance