Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 05:00 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,967,545 times

Advertisements

As baby boomers retire, a focus on caregivers - CNN.com

I didn't know there are 72 million of us!

What a burden we're becoming on the healthcare system, and even our families. Can't they just ship us to the planet they just discovered?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 05:15 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,629,182 times
I was born in '62 which puts me at the tail end of the boomer generation. I'm still too young to be a burden, but all those born before, say, 1953, could be shipped off to planet Ork.

Brush up on your na-nu na-nu all you older boomers.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:19 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
The guy in the article is 72..he's not a boomer.

The boomers just started turning 65 last year. His daughter (age 51) is the boomer.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The guy in the article is 72..he's not a boomer.

The boomers just started turning 65 last year. His daughter (age 51) is the boomer.
Yeah you're right, but the problem will still apply to us boomers and our "caretakers" as we start to get toward the age of 70+, for some of us not all that far off. Of course there's many who will do without "caretakers" to a very ripe old age, but many boomers are ironically not in all that good health.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:25 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
I was born in '62 which puts me at the tail end of the boomer generation. I'm still too young to be a burden, but all those born before, say, 1953, could be shipped off to planet Ork.

Brush up on your na-nu na-nu all you older boomers.
Only if we get a Mindy!

Old 01-16-2012, 05:26 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Yeah you're right, but the problem will still apply to us boomers and our "caretakers" as we start to get toward the age of 70+, for some of us not all that far off. Of course there's many who will do without "caretakers" to a very ripe old age, but many boomers are ironically not in all that good health.
And hasn't every generation gone through this ? It's not something new to boomers. Or am I missing something ?

Old 01-16-2012, 05:28 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,829,894 times
The media is always trying to overly dramatize every problem or issue to the point where they seem to manufacture a 'new' crisis every day! Unfortunately, the media itself tends to cause more stress than life itself.

Take, for example, the huge, looming 'caregiver' crisis in this article. When you start to talk about 72-million boomers, it sounds like there can't possibly be enough caregivers to handle that load ... and that it will certainly wear-out the available caregivers. But, the last time I checked, almost every child (and their siblings) each had two 'boomer parents'... just like always! Additionally, the available healthcare and safety nets today are far better than those available to the 'boomers' when they were 'care-giving' their parents.

Of course, a major part of the stress today is compounded by the economic and jobs situation ... which is wearing everyone a little thin. But, as we all know, most of the problems facing us today are 'self-inflicted' by our illustrious politicians. In other words, there are cost-cutting solutions to the prevailing stress ... but, most seem willing to continue in pain, rather than consider those options.

The great number of 'boomers' coming online will certainly tax our healthcare and elderly social systems like never before ... but, why is that? I suggest that there are several root causes: (1) Wholesale abortions over the last 30-40 years have sapped the base of available taxpayers; (2). Our government has been 'borrowing and spending' Social Security payments as quickly as they are received ("Off Budget" of course) -- and leaving worthless IOU's in their place and (3) the unfunded give-aways and 'exchange-for-vote programs' must all be paid for at some point (regardless of what our politicians tell us).

My thought is that rather than finally address these very real problems, the next 10-20 years will see a growing, panic-driven support for "kicking these boomer drains on our society to the curb." (It won't happen for a while, because the boomers will still have the votes to postpone direct cuts.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:31 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,629,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Only if we get a Mindy!
And what are you older boomer males going to do with Mindy? Have her bring you your prune juice and oatmeal?

She's for us younger boomer males.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And hasn't every generation gone through this ? It's not something new to boomers. Or am I missing something ?
You're missing something. Our post-WWII parents generally went into easily affordable nursing homes, though many of them didn't have stellar careers that led to stunning assets to pay for it. There wasn't any "assisted living"--they generally went from home to hospital to nursing home, end of story. Very little if any burden on others.

Previous generations aged at home and mostly died at home, or in hospital.

Today many elders cannot afford to stay in hospital or in nursing homes (they get kicked out when Medicare payments are used up) or in assisted living, and thus become a burden to their families who either help out or wind up abandoning them.

The boomer generation is different in every way than previous generations. The health insurance industry has really changed the game for them.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
And what are you older boomer males going to do with Mindy? Have her bring you your prune juice and oatmeal?

She's for us younger boomer males.
Okay you can have her.
Attached Thumbnails
Boomer aging causing caregiver stress among adult kids-images.jpeg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving