Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2013, 06:55 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,316,787 times

Advertisements

Good morning all!
It is a pretty sunny day here and we'll be leaving before long to the city to get out for a bit. Old lady kitty wasn't feeling well last night and this morning and barely ate anything but she seems to be eating a little now....fingers crossed...
Time to do my morning chores, so we can get out of here at a decent time. looks like Friday we will have to drive in the rain when we go to Charlotte to the ALS clinic. Maybe we'll get lucky and it won't be bad. Looks like several days of rain coming so it will be nice to go out and enjoy the sun today--we don't get to do it very often anymore.
Everyone enjoy your day and share a smile--
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 07:28 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,674,084 times
Good morning cyn and Friends......

Threewolves........So true.......well said!!!!

Jax.....I love my iron pan. Had mine for 45 years already. Got for a shower gift way back when. Yowza!!!

Cyn..if the sun is shining......make it a point to get out and enjoy.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:31 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,316,787 times
I do have a cast iron pan so think I'll give that a try. How long on each side and what temperature would you suggest? We do like it med rare....but at this point I'd eat it any way I can get it. For some reason I really am hungry for a piece of red meat and I am not a big meat eater at all. Course I'm not a big eater of anything really! Ha! My wonderful grandma who lived to be 94 years old once told me your body tells you what you need and how much you need if you just learn to listen to it. So maybe my body needs something in red meat? Anyhow, got to feed DH and then we'll be leaving.
Missing elston tons! Hope is computer is in soon!

Old 02-20-2013, 10:42 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,323,402 times
Cyn, your body sure is telling you something... Maybe you need iron and proteins... I hope you'll enjoy your meal!

Old 02-20-2013, 11:12 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,267,642 times
We like ours med. rare, too. I'm not good at relating times...somehow, I just kinda know when it's done.

3Wolves...welcome and thank you for that. Cyn's been special to us for a long time and we want to help her get as much support as possible.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:20 AM

12,015 posts, read 11,294,175 times
Hello Cyn and everyone! I hope you and DH get out and about today and have a good day. I hope you enjoy your steak. I know a lot of people cook their steaks in a cast iron pan. We always grill ours outside, but I have cooked a roast in cast iron. It was very good - seared it well on all sides, added french onion soup or beef broth, then simmered covered until tender. I am thinking that with the good cut of beef you have, you will probably want to cook yours at a higher temperature and quickly - but hopefully someone who knows better than I do will chime in and give you good instructions.

As always, I am thinking and praying for you and your DH, and so many others are too!

Old 02-20-2013, 11:21 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,192,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
I do have a cast iron pan so think I'll give that a try. How long on each side and what temperature would you suggest? We do like it med rare....but at this point I'd eat it any way I can get it. For some reason I really am hungry for a piece of red meat and I am not a big meat eater at all. Course I'm not a big eater of anything really! Ha! My wonderful grandma who lived to be 94 years old once told me your body tells you what you need and how much you need if you just learn to listen to it. So maybe my body needs something in red meat? Anyhow, got to feed DH and then we'll be leaving.
Missing elston tons! Hope is computer is in soon!
Hi cyn hope you have some enjoyable scenery and maybe a meal out today.

Turn your iron skillet on let it heat up on medium high be sure it is really hot. Throw those steaks in you should hear loud sizzling it will stick to the pan don't try to scrape it off. The meat will release when it is ready to be turned about 3-5 minutes depending on thickness. Flip over let it do the same on that side after 3-5 minutes cut into it & check it for your doneness. The key is really #1~~hot iron skillet, can't do this in a non stick skillet, #2~~let the meat tell you when to flip, then put those babies on a plate. Let them rest for about 10 minutes to suck the juices back into them then enjoy girl!

Oh if you want to do like the steakhouses do then brush the tops with butter right before you plate them.

3 wolves right on thanks for encouraging our caregiver!

Old 02-20-2013, 11:41 AM

12,015 posts, read 11,294,175 times
I am going to have to try that Jax! (I didn't know the meat would release from the pan by itself. I need to do more with my cast iron.)

Old 02-20-2013, 12:26 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,400,511 times
Another post about cast iron skillet. I have a cast iron skillet grill pan. It is the best for steaks. Jaxson is so right Hot pan, add steaks, don't mess with the meat while it cooks, flip over 3-5 minutes....depends on thickness. I also put a lid on top over the steaks. They stay really hot that way

Enjoy.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:08 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,192,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeeyow View Post
I am going to have to try that Jax! (I didn't know the meat would release from the pan by itself. I need to do more with my cast iron.)
I cook with my iron skillet everyday once they get seasoned good they are better than non stick skillets IMHO. One skillet is 75+ years, 90+ years then mine big one is about 30 it is a Lodge so I've never gotten a slick finish like my handed down skillet have. Skillets are made of different kind of iron now days I don't see my 12" lasting as long as the ones I was blessed with from grands and parents.

Remeber when I sold our farm and we moved into the city last summer? For 2-3 months DD & I was eating out a lot instead of me cooking at home because we were working at 2 houses. I couldn't donate blood 2 months in a row because of low iron and DD missed 1 month of donating. I don't buy iron in bottles OK?

Lisa good point on the lid I do that too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving