Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 08:06 PM

840 posts, read 3,468,287 times

Advertisements

In Watertown, Wis.,the windows of nine businesses display small purple angels decals indicating that employees are trained to recognize customers with dementia and how to best assist them and their caregivers. It's part of a broader effort to educate the town's 24,000 residents about dementia and to keep those who have the condition engaged in the community by providing the services they need.

Patrons with memory loss are encouraged to simply point to which size of coffee they want. Bank employees have been trained to look for signs that customers have been scammed.

Go here to read entire article: Making a Town Dementia-Friendly - AARP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 07:04 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,796,997 times
This is great and would be a fantastic idea for all to follow.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:58 PM
HDL

3,216 posts, read 6,788,996 times
Having worked with seniors with dementia, I really don't see how this idea would work well. That is why people with dementia need daily assistance and hopefully that person (or persons) providing care are looking out for this person with dementia's best interests.

It's not fair or smart (imho) to assume communities can take on this huge responsibility. Otherwise we wouldn't have so many scams on seniors like we currently do . I'm not saying that it's not a great idea though.

Old 02-28-2014, 12:11 PM

2,218 posts, read 2,942,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDL View Post
Having worked with seniors with dementia, I really don't see how this idea would work well. That is why people with dementia need daily assistance and hopefully that person (or persons) providing care are looking out for this person with dementia's best interests.

It's not fair or smart (imho) to assume communities can take on this huge responsibility. Otherwise we wouldn't have so many scams on seniors like we currently do . I'm not saying that it's not a great idea though.
No one is assuming that communities are expected to take on this huge responsibility. These business are just providing their employees with tools on how to deal with this growing population AND their caregivers!

Personally I think it is great that businesses are doing this! I can't tell you how many times I've been out with my Mom (who has dementia) and the clerks etc sometimes look at us like we are crazy and or get impatient when Mom has a hard time making a decision or just rambles on about stuff that makes no sense (and no one is even waiting in line behind us). If the person would have just smiled back at Mom it would have made her day (as well as mine)!

Old 02-28-2014, 01:54 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,192,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post

Personally I think it is great that businesses are doing this! I can't tell you how many times I've been out with my Mom (who has dementia) and the clerks etc sometimes look at us like we are crazy and or get impatient when Mom has a hard time making a decision or just rambles on about stuff that makes no sense (and no one is even waiting in line behind us). If the person would have just smiled back at Mom it would have made her day (as well as mine)!
So you think that someone smiling at a person who is frustrated because they can not remember a word or name that they know should be right on the tip of their tongues will make them happy??

Old 02-28-2014, 02:26 PM

2,218 posts, read 2,942,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
So you think that someone smiling at a person who is frustrated because they can not remember a word or name that they know should be right on the tip of their tongues will make them happy??
I'm not sure if you have dealt with someone with dementia or not (especially on an ongoing basis) but I can tell you first hand that if someone responds to my mother in a positive manner (e.g. with a genuine smile) that it makes my mother happy.

Sure there are times when she is so deeply agitated that it may not have the same affect right away. But just because someone has dementia and can't find the right words or is in a state of confusion doesn't mean that they cannot FEEL the emotion of the people that are around them. So if someone responds to my Mom in a hurried and frustrated way it will only make my Mom more sad and frustrated. If someone responds with a calm, caring attitude and a genuine smile it does make the "moment" (reworded from my original post that said "day" because with dementia sufferers it's all about the "moments")!

Old 03-01-2014, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
I'm not sure if you have dealt with someone with dementia or not (especially on an ongoing basis) but I can tell you first hand that if someone responds to my mother in a positive manner (e.g. with a genuine smile) that it makes my mother happy.

Sure there are times when she is so deeply agitated that it may not have the same affect right away. But just because someone has dementia and can't find the right words or is in a state of confusion doesn't mean that they cannot FEEL the emotion of the people that are around them. So if someone responds to my Mom in a hurried and frustrated way it will only make my Mom more sad and frustrated. If someone responds with a calm, caring attitude and a genuine smile it does make the "moment" (reworded from my original post that said "day" because with dementia sufferers it's all about the "moments")!
Not really trying to argue with you. How ever when an older person STARTS having these problems and wonders if it is early dementia smiling at them will not help.

Old 03-01-2014, 01:12 PM

5,329 posts, read 6,024,330 times
Quote:
Not really trying to argue with you. How ever when an older person STARTS having these problems and wonders if it is early dementia smiling at them will not help.
Actually, if the smile is accompanied by a few kind words, it helps a lot.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:40 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,211,073 times
Quote:
You might be missing the point. Smiling all by itself wouldn't help everybody but training the workers in these places to respond with a friendly smile accompanied by patience and a readiness to be helpful if it's needed, is, I would think, the idea.

Old 03-02-2014, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
You might be missing the point. Smiling all by itself wouldn't help everybody but training the workers in these places to respond with a friendly smile accompanied by patience and a readiness to be helpful if it's needed, is, I would think, the idea.
I believe the idea may be great for folks who are well into dementia but for old folks who are having memory problems and wondering were this memory loss may be going smiling will not help. Trust me on this one,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving