Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 08:28 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Hmmm. Well firstly, that's friggin disgusting.

Secondly, perhaps you do need to go to the hospital/doctor's appointments and bring your damn lawyer.
Yes. You can probably see why I'm so insistent on being involved. I feel like the whole thing may just spiral into dysfunctional insanity if I am not standing there demanding concise explanations and solutions. It's really alarming.

And get this - she is actually in the care of a hospital system that is award winning and has a sterling reputation. WHAT?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2016, 08:58 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,487,397 times
OP - make sure your Dad (or someone) is with your mother at medication time - to ensure she actually takes it rather than flushing it down the toilet or hiding it in a potted plant! No need to be forceful, just quietly keep an eye on her to make sure she actually takes it (and swallows it). If she says "Leave it there, I'll take it in a while", just say along the lines of "that's okay, I'll take it back to the kitchen (or wherever)... just let me know when you're ready and I'll bring it back".

Old 03-23-2016, 09:05 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,254,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
OP - make sure your Dad (or someone) is with your mother at medication time - to ensure she actually takes it rather than flushing it down the toilet or hiding it in a potted plant! No need to be forceful, just quietly keep an eye on her to make sure she actually takes it (and swallows it). If she says "Leave it there, I'll take it in a while", just say along the lines of "that's okay, I'll take it back to the kitchen (or wherever)... just let me know when you're ready and I'll bring it back".
Good point, especially if she finds out that the medicine may help with weight gain.

Old 03-23-2016, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
Good point, especially if she finds out that the medicine may help with weight gain.
Right on.

Old 03-23-2016, 09:24 PM

1,073 posts, read 1,796,899 times
Kathryn, I think you are doing the right thing by going to the appointments with her. You are her advocate and need to be aware of everything going on with her.

When my mom broke her hip, she went to rehab for two months. (She is back home now and doing well.) She lost 10 pounds over the two months. In my opinion that was because frankly, the food this facility served was not what I'd consider edible. I was there many days when they brought her lunch and I couldn't believe it. They seemed to have no idea of what type foods an older person in such a facility would need to eat. It was actually very alarming.

Mom loves strawberry milkshakes, so different family members would bring her one. That made her so happy! One day when I got there and she was crying. When I asked her what was wrong, she just said she hated the food and hated being there and wanted to come home. So a lot has to do with the facility. She was absolutely beaming the day my sister and brother-in-law brought her home. I'd never seen her quite so happy.

Old 03-23-2016, 11:50 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
The broken hip was the elephant in the living room. It was the immediate concern and that's what they worked on. The problem is the elderly frequently have multiple issues and concentrating on one of them leaves room for something else to go pear shaped. And if the individual has mental as well as physical issues it's almost always double trouble.

If your mom had to fall and break a hip, she actually did herself a favor doing it at a low weight. There is nothing worse than getting a heavy patient with a broken hip. You just know they are not going to be able to recover well because of their weight. Now you can work on gaining weight, recovery, and strength. And she will gain weight and be more hungry if you work on maintaining and increasing muscle mass. Google chair exercises. It is amazing how much you can do in a chair using a book, or a can of vegetables as a weight. I said chair exercises to start because she can do these alone with no risk of falling.

Glad to hear the doc gave her the straight skinny!

Old 03-23-2016, 11:53 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,037,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
That's what we're hoping for. She is VERY unhappy and angry about having to go to rehab - she wants to go directly home and is nearly combative about it, so there's that. She has no choice in the matter and she knows it and she's furious.

Anyway, when we get her to rehab, hopefully early next week, we will IMMEDIATELY schedule a meeting with her care team and lay all of her issues out on the table.
It is horrific to watch someone disintegrate at the end of their lives. And there really is nothing anyone can do about it. The therapies and plans and drugs are well-meaning but usually ineffective. They don't change and they don't care at that age and in severely diminished condition and capability and it's simply waiting for the mercy of death for those around them. That is why as a society we have to get our heads around assisted suicide. Once the illnesses and reality decree a permanent and variable-level misery as the sentence for the rest of your life, it is time to check out.

We take better care of our pets. Once you reach 75 or so, or sooner if you are terminally ill, you should be able to acquire a sedative that ends your life that you can take whenever the disintegration of your faculties prevents a productive and happy existence.

I plan to acquire this cocktail with or without society's blessing or approval when my time comes. My life is mine to live, and mine to end.

Old 03-24-2016, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
The broken hip was the elephant in the living room. It was the immediate concern and that's what they worked on. The problem is the elderly frequently have multiple issues and concentrating on one of them leaves room for something else to go pear shaped. And if the individual has mental as well as physical issues it's almost always double trouble.

If your mom had to fall and break a hip, she actually did herself a favor doing it at a low weight. There is nothing worse than getting a heavy patient with a broken hip. You just know they are not going to be able to recover well because of their weight. Now you can work on gaining weight, recovery, and strength. And she will gain weight and be more hungry if you work on maintaining and increasing muscle mass. Google chair exercises. It is amazing how much you can do in a chair using a book, or a can of vegetables as a weight. I said chair exercises to start because she can do these alone with no risk of falling.

Glad to hear the doc gave her the straight skinny!
Yes, and thank you for the heads' up about the chair exercises. She is very unsteady on her feet.

I felt like all they were concentrating on was the broken hip because she was already under care for her psychiatric issues. They definitely did not have a holistic or "whole body" approach and I personally felt that was sorely lacking. I'm thinking about complaining about this but just not sure how to do it.

Old 03-24-2016, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
It is horrific to watch someone disintegrate at the end of their lives. And there really is nothing anyone can do about it. The therapies and plans and drugs are well-meaning but usually ineffective. They don't change and they don't care at that age and in severely diminished condition and capability and it's simply waiting for the mercy of death for those around them. That is why as a society we have to get our heads around assisted suicide. Once the illnesses and reality decree a permanent and variable-level misery as the sentence for the rest of your life, it is time to check out.

We take better care of our pets. Once you reach 75 or so, or sooner if you are terminally ill, you should be able to acquire a sedative that ends your life that you can take whenever the disintegration of your faculties prevents a productive and happy existence.

I plan to acquire this cocktail with or without society's blessing or approval when my time comes. My life is mine to live, and mine to end.
I agree with the bolded part.

However, I can assure you that my mother is not at a point where she would want this. In fact, she would be horrified at the very suggestion. My mom has great stamina - unusual stamina in fact, and I think a lot of that stems from her bipolar disorder. She is chock full of restless energy and curiosity and even as sick as she is right now, she is very enthusiastic about a lot of things and full of conversation about her yard, the grandkids and great grandkids, etc.

Also, there are moral issues regarding allowing assisted suicide for someone who is mentally ill in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving