Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2017, 08:56 PM

70 posts, read 69,863 times

Advertisements

Mom is 91 and in a SNF. She vomited off and on 2 days this past week and ran a fever. She had just finished a round of antibiotics for a kidney infection. 3 days ago she began yelling and became combative toward nursing staff. She insisted snakes were biting her and hit at anyone who tried to comfort her. Just as suddenly as this began, it stopped. The past 2 days she hasn't spoken and her B/P is 70/35, is running a fever, unresponsive, requires oxygen and is now getting Sodium Chloride via IV along with antibiotics via injection. Staff won't comment except to say...we'll see if the fluids and antibiotic help. Do these symptoms say much to any of you here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2017, 03:02 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,576,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIDER04 View Post
Mom is 91 and in a SNF. She vomited off and on 2 days this past week and ran a fever. She had just finished a round of antibiotics for a kidney infection. 3 days ago she began yelling and became combative toward nursing staff. She insisted snakes were biting her and hit at anyone who tried to comfort her. Just as suddenly as this began, it stopped. The past 2 days she hasn't spoken and her B/P is 70/35, is running a fever, unresponsive, requires oxygen and is now getting Sodium Chloride via IV along with antibiotics via injection. Staff won't comment except to say...we'll see if the fluids and antibiotic help. Do these symptoms say much to any of you here?
I think you need to talk to her Drs.............

Old 05-05-2017, 06:14 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,320,136 times
I am sorry. Hope she does better today.

Old 05-05-2017, 07:08 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,555,140 times
Honestly, it sounds like she is quite ill - possibly well beyond the capability of the SNF.

I'm surprised they haven't sent her to a hospital.

I'm assuming that maybe she's on hospice or some other expectation that her situation is terminal and that's why they didn't transfer her?

I hope that the situation resolves and you're both able to find some peace.

Old 05-05-2017, 07:47 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,415,904 times
Yes, it sounds like she is quite ill. Sounds like she still has an infection.

Have you spoken to the Doctor?

Unless she has a DNR and has requested not to be brought to the hospital....she should have been sent to the ER already.

Are you going to see her ASAP?

Old 05-05-2017, 11:31 AM

2,841 posts, read 3,201,975 times
If she is in hospice, ask them about this. The nurse from hospice called me when my Mom was approaching death.

Also you don't say if she has advanced directives that specify she not be taken to a hospital.

Too many unknowns for us to really say anything about your situation.

Old 05-05-2017, 02:26 PM

70 posts, read 69,863 times
She's not under Hospice care and we don't have directives in place saying to not hospitalize her if necessary. She is a DNR, however. Doctor has not seen her and won't be on site till Monday. He's ordered chest X-ray, IV fluids, antibiotic given IM, and oxygen based on labs and nurse's evaluations. They (nursing staff) say they can do all that a hospital can do at this point.She's actually a bit improved today and when I told the head nurse I thought mom was dying yesterday, she admitted she did, too. This is overwhelming and frightening.

Old 05-05-2017, 10:11 PM

3,254 posts, read 2,341,436 times
I am so, so, sorry you are going through this. I hope your mother continues to improve. Please let us know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving