Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 10:13 PM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
OK well he has a Humana PPO. I don't remember what his Dr co-pays are but that isn't the problem. It's the co-insurance for procedures and nursing homes.
well that complicates things for sure. He might find an advantage plan that covers more for the procedures but I don't think he can dodge the co-pay on nursing home care, but if he is in one for over 100 days he will go on medicaid and his SS check - $60 will be sent to the nursing home to partially pay for his care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2017, 10:21 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,559,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
well that complicates things for sure. He might find an advantage plan that covers more for the procedures but I don't think he can dodge the co-pay on nursing home care, but if he is in one for over 100 days he will go on medicaid and his SS check - $60 will be sent to the nursing home to partially pay for his care.
Yeah we are too aware of the eventuality. It's the in the meantime we'd like some assistance. I find it odd that people can make literally $10 too much to qualify for many thousands of dollars of care. Even food stamps has a sliding thing. My mother might have actually been better off making $200 less. Things shouldn't be structured that way, imo. People who pay in more, get higher SS checks, but when it's close like that, the people who put in more get less when medical is taken into account.

Old 06-29-2017, 10:42 PM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Yeah we are too aware of the eventuality. It's the in the meantime we'd like some assistance. I find it odd that people can make literally $10 too much to qualify for many thousands of dollars of care. Even food stamps has a sliding thing. My mother might have actually been better off making $200 less. Things shouldn't be structured that way, imo. People who pay in more, get higher SS checks, but when it's close like that, the people who put in more get less when medical is taken into account.
You're right it's a screwed up system, when they expanded medicaid they should have had the same income qualifications for dual eligibles, I think it's about 4k more a year.

Old 06-30-2017, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

I have a brother on Medicaid and 100 percent disability.
That doesn't compute. SSDI gets Medicare. SSI gets Medicaid. SSDI is the one you can work on up to $1K and not lose any benefits from doing so.

Old 06-30-2017, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
He is probably a dual eligible and instead of using the higher AGI as they do for expanded medicaid they use a lower agi limit of $1177 for one person. Why does he have all these out of pocket expenses, isn't he getting medicaid along with his medicare? Are they paying for his part B?
He just told me $1134. Now, that is after whatever Humana, his Medicare Provider takes, and someone told me they use the higher amount, but maybe, maybe ........ do you know? Medicaid would be areal blessing. Huge. He'd even get more at home care.

Old 06-30-2017, 05:22 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Hm. So at one time he worked enough to earn credits to get SSDI instead of SSI?
Like I said, I don't know the differences between the two and to be honest, I don't need to. It's enough for me to know that his mental health care team wants him to work part time and told us specifically that he would not lose any benefits unless he made over a certain amount (either $800 or $1000 a month - can't recall the exact figure but it was in that ball park).

But yes, he did "work" for quite a while - for my dad's company. That is to say, my dad paid him and he sat down at the marina bar all day drinking for over ten years till my dad finally fired him after he ran the business completely into the ground. Then he got a job as a land man but got fired from that job too.

Old 06-30-2017, 05:24 AM

Quote:
That doesn't compute. SSDI gets Medicare. SSI gets Medicaid. SSDI is the one you can work on up to $1K and not lose any benefits from doing so.
Sigh. I'm sorry that I don't know the exact terms for each government program but he is 100 percent disabled, and the government pays him. He also lives in subsidized housing. And his medical bills are also paid by the government, though he has a small copay of some sort apparently.

And he could work part time and not lose any of these benefits but he chooses not to work part time.

That's what I know. What I don't know is the exact terms for each program.

Old 06-30-2017, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tams here View Post
I'm not sure about that..

My youngest daughter has been on SSDI for quite awhile due to a neurological disorder. She has been working P/T for a few years now. Brings home maybe $700-$800/ mo. I do know that she lost quite a bit of her SSDI when she started working and now gets roughly $100/month. I think she used to get right around $800/mo. I can see where someone might see no incentive to work and lose that government check.

One of the plusses for us and her working P/T is that she has really good health insurance on top of the Medicaid which has been invaluable.
All I know is that his team of counselors have told us repeatedly that he can make somewhere around $800 to $1000 a month before any portion of his benefits is lost.

Old 06-30-2017, 06:57 AM

25,567 posts, read 17,275,200 times
.... Lots of discussion about how many people will need long term care.
Does EVERYONE who needs long term care need the government to provide it?

It seems so, by this discussion.
And that's pretty sad.

Old 06-30-2017, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
.... Lots of discussion about how many people will need long term care.
Does EVERYONE who needs long term care need the government to provide it?

It seems so, by this discussion.
And that's pretty sad.
This hasn't been the case in most of my family, thank goodness. Hopefully won't be for me, either. We are trying to plan financially so that we are not at the mercy of the government alone.

My youngest brother though - who knows?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving