Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 11:01 AM

42,849 posts, read 26,259,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefret View Post
My main concern is for those in nursing homes who run out of money and have to rely on Medicaid. Cutting the amount of reimbursement will lead to cuts in quality of care and there may be situations where adult children are required to provide financial support at the expense of their own retirement plans.

I live in a state that has the Medicaid expansion. Those with low income, below a certain level, go on Medicaid rather than the ACA. These are people with jobs----the type of jobs that don't offer insurance plans. I'm not sure what will happen to these people when this is repealed.

Before the ACA, one of my relatives was unable to get insurance due to a history of cancer. As this provided her with coverage at a reasonable cost I am grateful that it was there for her.
Most people on medicaid expansion do work, the claim that they don't is just being perpetrated by people who want to kill the program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2017, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
On the contrary, your great aunt could have been in a Medicaid room for an additional 8 or 9 years instead of being a private pay resident during that time. Would that have been better for her? So, wasn't having $850,000 saved for her retirement extremely beneficial for her?
I honestly don't know, she just wanted to die when they put her in that 4 bed ward and managed to do so a few years later. I'm not sure if the time she spent in a nice room made up for that misery, I know that she never expected to be in a situation like that.

Old 06-30-2017, 11:36 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
exactly! My great aunt went into a rest home at 90 with around $850,000. 8 or 9 years later she was broke and went on medicaid, for the last few years of her life she lived in a 4 bed medicaid room with three patients who screamed day and night. What a nightmare....saving all that money for her old age sure didn't help her much
Quote:
On the contrary, your great aunt could have been in a Medicaid room for an additional 8 or 9 years instead of being a private pay resident during that time. Would that have been better for her? So, wasn't having $850,000 saved for her retirement extremely beneficial for her?
Quote:
I honestly don't know, she just wanted to die when they put her in that 4 bed ward and managed to do so a few years later. I'm not sure if the time she spent in a nice room made up for that misery, I know that she never expected to be in a situation like that.
Well, without Medicaid she could have been forced to move out at age 98 or 99 and live in a homeless shelter or under a bridge or live with you. Would one of those have been preferable to living in a nursing home under Medicaid?

Frankly, I doubt if any of my friends will have $850,000 left in retirement savings at age 90. Your great aunt was a very lucky woman to be in that situation. I am sure that she not expect to live to be 101 or 102 (or so) when she started her retirement 30 or 40 years earlier.

Old 06-30-2017, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Well, without Medicaid she could have been forced to move out at age 98 or 99 and live in a homeless shelter or under a bridge or live with you. Would one of those have been preferable to living in a nursing home under Medicaid?

Frankly, I doubt if any of my friends will have $850,000 left in retirement savings at age 90. Your great aunt was a very lucky woman to be in that situation. I am sure that she not expect to live to be 101 or 102 (or so) when she started her retirement 30 or 40 years earlier.
No of course it would not have been better if she didn't have medicaid, and that's a huge concern and it's why I mentioned my great aunt. Part of the discussion in all of these threads has been the idea that if people planned better they would not have to worry about these medicaid cuts so I described the situation of a woman who lived very frugally for decades and thought that she had saved enough money to avoid ever having to go on medicaid.

Yes, without medicaid she would have been out in the street and if they implement these medicaid cuts that is where a lot of frail elderly will be. My guess is that to avoid the political damage from that they will pass federal filial laws and make every person related to a person in a rest home pay the bill.

Old 06-30-2017, 11:59 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Quote:
No of course it would not have been better if she didn't have medicaid, and that's a huge concern and it's why I mentioned my great aunt. Part of the discussion in all of these threads has been the idea that if people planned better they would not have to worry about these medicaid cuts so I described the situation of a woman who lived very frugally for decades and thought that she had saved enough money to avoid ever having to go on medicaid.

Yes, without medicaid she would have been out in the street and if they implement these medicaid cuts that is where a lot of frail elderly will be. My guess is that to avoid the political damage from that they will pass federal filial laws and make every person related to a person in a rest home pay the bill.
Thank you for the clarification. I was misinterpreting what you were trying to say.

Old 06-30-2017, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Thank you for the clarification. I was misinterpreting what you were trying to say.
no need to apologize you have no idea how many times my husband says "I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about"

Old 06-30-2017, 04:17 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,559,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Sigh. I'm sorry that I don't know the exact terms for each government program but he is 100 percent disabled, and the government pays him. He also lives in subsidized housing. And his medical bills are also paid by the government, though he has a small copay of some sort apparently.

And he could work part time and not lose any of these benefits but he chooses not to work part time.

That's what I know. What I don't know is the exact terms for each program.
Wasn't picking at you. Just trying to help nail it down which one it is!

Old 06-30-2017, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Well, not make up for it, but a lot less time IN the miserable place .....

Old 06-30-2017, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Well, not make up for it, but a lot less time IN the miserable place .....
That's true. Funny story about another Great Aunt. She died probably 10 years ago when she was 106. When she was in her 40's as a member of the French Society she was able to buy into a program that for $10,000 allowed her to spend her old age in the French Hospital in San Francisco. all meals, room and board and medical care was included. The only requirement was that she couldn't move in until she was 60. So, she moved the day she turned 60 and didn't die until 46 years later. I don't remember when it was but at some point during that time Kaiser bought out the French Hospital and the French Hospital had to pay for her to spend the rest of her life in an 'equivalent facility'. She stayed in a lovely rest home in San Francisco full of old French ladies, she died laughing with a glass of wine in her hand.

Old 06-30-2017, 04:42 PM

Quote:
That's true. Funny story about another Great Aunt. She died probably 10 years ago when she was 106. When she was in her 40's as a member of the French Society she was able to buy into a program that for $10,000 allowed her to spend her old age in the French Hospital in San Francisco. all meals, room and board and medical care was included. The only requirement was that she couldn't move in until she was 60. So, she moved the day she turned 60 and didn't die until 46 years later. I don't remember when it was but at some point during that time Kaiser bought out the French Hospital and the French Hospital had to pay for her to spend the rest of her life in an 'equivalent facility'. She stayed in a lovely rest home in San Francisco full of old French ladies, she died laughing with a glass of wine in her hand.
That's a great story!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving