Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 08:05 AM

14,944 posts, read 12,139,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
If I wanted to hear Liberal talking points I'd go to the politics forum.

BTW:

Report: 42 percent of new Medicaid signups are immigrants, their children

Of course it's political. And it belongs on that forum.

Of course it's going to cause arguments. This complaining on the Caregiving Forum has been going on for YEARS. Like, when the new HHA pay law went into effect. Didn't wanna pay for that either.

//www.city-data.com/forum/careg...l#post37760683

And AARP was a huge proponent of Obamacare.

OMG OMG seniors are going to be living on the streets!!!!

People won't be happy until they can demand their fellow citizens pay for EVERYTHING. Why am I paying for everyone's birth control yet still have to pay for other people's kids FREE MEALS in FL all year long and DELIVERED by a bus?

Trump was right. He should have let it disintegrate. And it still might.
I think you're right on, sadly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2017, 08:07 AM

375 posts, read 319,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
.... Lots of discussion about how many people will need long term care.
Does EVERYONE who needs long term care need the government to provide it?

It seems so, by this discussion.
And that's pretty sad.
This is such a tough topic. Ive been thinking about it a lot lately and am trying to have a plan. There is so much uncertainty. So many variables. How do you prepare? I don't think most people have the income or wealth or foresight to even begin to plan for any sort of LTC. Heck, from what I've read a large percentage of Americans have NO savings for any time of emergency.

Old 06-30-2017, 08:09 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times
Quote:

And that's pretty sad.
My mother is ninety-eight and is cared for in her home. The bills are paid by our family. Fortunately, Dad produced a very generous retirement most of which carried over to Mom when he died. What isn't taken care of by that is paid for by my wife and I. My sister also contributes.

The truth is many families can do a great deal for an elderly parent in retirement. The key to the whole thing though is that EVERYONE has to pitch in. A few slackers will ruin the whole thing.

I do think we have too many people in this country who "live for today" and never plan for retirement and certainly not long care needs. I have heard many people say they "just intend to die" before they become too old and feeble to care for themselves. However, when it comes right down to it they don't just die. Nor, do they consider an option like suicide. Without going into detail, even though many of my needs are provided for, its something that I am contemplating.

I don't think its good for children to have to care for parents for literally years and years and that has been my lot. Before my mother, I had to help my wife care for her mother who died at about age 91. Before that I had to help care for my father who died at 84.

I will not do this to my children regardless of the economics involved.

Old 06-30-2017, 08:23 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Here's what I think and what we've told family:

We have to save for our own retirement needs. This means that we don't rob that kitty to subsidize the lives of adult kids (past college). This also means that we expect kids in college to work part time and pay for part of their expenses. It also means they choose an affordable school and a degree plan that can be completed in four years (OK, five max but four is better and there better be a dang good reason for that fifth year), because we will only contribute if they also have skin in the game - it's a TEAM effort.

It also means we don't rob this kitty to pay for the LTC needs of elderly adults. Thankfully we haven't ever been faced with that situation.

I think it is usually unfair to expect adult kids - who also usually have their own adult kids and grandkids - to pay for parents' needs at their own expense - and just betting on the come that their own kids will do the same for them. It's a vicious cycle and it seems very precarious to me.

I know there are exceptions to every rule, but at least I can say that thankfully our family tradition is "Work hard, save lots of money, pay off your house before retirement and worst case scenario you can always sell the house to pay for your LTC." Or at the least, whoever pays for your LTC inherits the house (it would depend on which scenario makes the most sense financially).

I also think it would be fine if there were adult kids who made lots of money to subsidize, cooperate together, or whatever to pay Mom and Dad's expenses - as long as they were also saving for their own retirement. My point is that if an adult child has to quit saving for their own retirement to subsidize a parent's retirement - Houston, we have a problem.

Old 06-30-2017, 08:29 AM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
1. Snippets of Liberal Talking Points.
Trump proposes ‘highest’ budget funds for anti-drug programs
As part of the budget proposal for Financial Year 2018, tabled on May 23, 2017, President Donald Trump sought “the highest funding amounts ever requested†to fund two anti-drug programs. The Trump Administration believes the huge allocation will help annihilate the burgeoning opioid problem in the country. The White House Office of National Drug Control Policy (ONDCP) confirmed that the amount proposal to the Congress for the two programs was the highest ever requested.
2. Rants against the President belong on the Politics forum, IMO.
They are NOT "CUTS". They are slowing the rate of growth that the Democrats put into play. It's DC speak. ONLY in DC can you budget to spend MORE every year then when you don't you call it a "CUT".
A very OLD trick that LIberals love to use as a wedge.
You're confused. The link you provided discusses increases in funding for programs that are part of the "war on drugs". The money people are concerned about losing is money paid through medicaid to treat addiction which is being cut.

Get it now? In over 40 years we have spent a trillion dollars on the war on drugs has not reduced demand by even 1% . It's not liberal talking points, it's a fact.

Old 06-30-2017, 09:48 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,470,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
My mother is ninety-eight and is cared for in her home. The bills are paid by our family. Fortunately, Dad produced a very generous retirement most of which carried over to Mom when he died. What isn't taken care of by that is paid for by my wife and I. My sister also contributes.

The truth is many families can do a great deal for an elderly parent in retirement. The key to the whole thing though is that EVERYONE has to pitch in. A few slackers will ruin the whole thing.

I do think we have too many people in this country who "live for today" and never plan for retirement and certainly not long care needs. I have heard many people say they "just intend to die" before they become too old and feeble to care for themselves. However, when it comes right down to it they don't just die. Nor, do they consider an option like suicide. Without going into detail, even though many of my needs are provided for, its something that I am contemplating.

I don't think its good for children to have to care for parents for literally years and years and that has been my lot. Before my mother, I had to help my wife care for her mother who died at about age 91. Before that I had to help care for my father who died at 84.

I will not do this to my children regardless of the economics involved.
The bold items put the issue in hi-def. People are simply living longer and longer now. Yes, there are the odd few who are still healthy and spry well into their later years. But look at how many are not, and require a lot of hands on care FOR YEARS. Our financial systems can't keep up with the medical advancements that keep people "alive" (in quotes). Even if the rich paid more into the system, I'm not sure it would ever be solvent.

We do some drastic things because we are either looking for miracles, or we as loved ones aren't ready to let go. I say that from personal experience because I lived that with my own mother, in terms of my Dad's decision making at the end.

There are no easy answers, but with fewer and fewer of us having kids, and the increasing "failure to launch" of adult kids, I don't think we can expect families to be a financial or hands-on support system for the next generation of elderly folks.

Old 06-30-2017, 10:09 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:

And that's pretty sad.
Well, my Mom's place is $9,000 a month. She was able to pay privately for a little over 2 years, on a former secretaries savings, so I think she did pretty good. I don't know many people personally who can swing that amount for a decade or more.

Old 06-30-2017, 10:25 AM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Well, my Mom's place is $9,000 a month. She was able to pay privately for a little over 2 years, on a former secretaries savings, so I think she did pretty good. I don't know many people personally who can swing that amount for a decade or more.
exactly! My great aunt went into a rest home at 90 with around $850,000. 8 or 9 years later she was broke and went on medicaid, for the last few years of her life she lived in a 4 bed medicaid room with three patients who screamed day and night. What a nightmare....saving all that money for her old age sure didn't help her much

Old 06-30-2017, 10:31 AM

1,555 posts, read 1,047,879 times
My main concern is for those in nursing homes who run out of money and have to rely on Medicaid. Cutting the amount of reimbursement will lead to cuts in quality of care and there may be situations where adult children are required to provide financial support at the expense of their own retirement plans.

I live in a state that has the Medicaid expansion. Those with low income, below a certain level, go on Medicaid rather than the ACA. These are people with jobs----the type of jobs that don't offer insurance plans. I'm not sure what will happen to these people when this is repealed.

Before the ACA, one of my relatives was unable to get insurance due to a history of cancer. As this provided her with coverage at a reasonable cost I am grateful that it was there for her.

Old 06-30-2017, 10:33 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
exactly! My great aunt went into a rest home at 90 with around $850,000. 8 or 9 years later she was broke and went on medicaid, for the last few years of her life she lived in a 4 bed medicaid room with three patients who screamed day and night. What a nightmare....
saving all that money for her old age sure didn't help her much
On the contrary, your great aunt could have been in a Medicaid room for an additional 8 or 9 years instead of being a private pay resident during that time. Would that have been better for her? So, wasn't having $850,000 saved for her retirement extremely beneficial for her?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving