Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2017, 10:15 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,035,080 times

Advertisements

Originally Posted by DutchessCottonPuff

"Kathryn I am glad to see this post now . I wish I could ANONYMOUSLY forward it to someone I have known since 1972 .
She was an only child , her mom was my GS leader in 1973, raised in a very well to do neighborhood by adoring parents .
As a BITTER ,divorced adult, she has made fun of and has just been plain mean to those of us who struggle , try again, start over , move out of Texas , dress differently , we are all lazy if we could not afford insurance before or after the ACA ,in other words we all s*^k . She had all sorts of little insults just waiting for the right person and the right time. The last I heard from her was in March when she cursed me in public over a problem I had with a Texas lawmaker affecting my ability to reasonably consider ever going home again..MMMkay

She is now in a PSYCHIATRIC HOSPITAL and has been since Sunday over her father having an estate sale .
Mom was a great lady but has been dead nearly 10 years and dad is 85 now and remarried someone in January who looks older than 85 - let him have a companion my goodness. His bride looks like she can barely walk .

She's FREAKING out over lost ( sold) coffee percolators , fondue pots , dishes, some furniture ( I think he wants to sell the giant house and move into Assisted Living ),knick knacks, EMPTY JARS OF MIRACLE WHIP ?? 40 -50 year old generic paintings ( think Pinkie and Blue Boy ) 62 years of memories she wailed . We tried to tell her all would be OK , that it is just stuff , you still have all your pics and memories and in 10 years she had full access to any of her moms things she wanted .. Her dad put his foot down about it and she tripped OUT. She even helped plan the sale and now refuses to ever speak to her dad again . Threatening suicide . The works . "

I gave to laugh about the empty Miracle Whip jars. My mom had saved them from the 1970's and 1980's and each year at Christmas she would fill them with home made caramel popcorn. We would return the jars after we ate the popcorn each year. After my older brother passed away (his family lived a state away) his grown kids did not know or care to or remember to return the jars each Christmas so mom was down to one Miracle Whip jar left.

When mom passed away, my son, 12 years old, wanted to keep that Miracle Whip jar! It was ours, we returned each year. We did and now he fills it up with caramel popcorn each Christmas that he makes. (He always liked helping Grandma make it.)

It is a nice jar, the large one with an opening that is flared out, and maybe holds a gallon. Even so, I probably would not have save it and moved it from CA to TN if my son had not really wanted it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2017, 08:47 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
That is a sweet, sweet story about that Miracle Whip jar.

Let's not give up on the youngsters - there's no telling which one or ones will clue in to a few heirlooms. I know my oldest granddaughter is super "into" heirlooms and I think she will appreciate anything I give her. She' super sentimental.

I think the key is identifying those kids and grandkids who appreciate things and setting aside one or two items for them - and just letting go of the rest.

It's just stuff at the end of the day.

Old 09-23-2017, 09:58 AM

1,558 posts, read 1,158,896 times
Yes, I thought the miracle whip jar story was nice also. It's the memory that is the value, not the item.

Thanks for sharing.

Old 09-23-2017, 10:28 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,758,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

It's just stuff at the end of the day.
Yup. I resisted an urge to go to an estate sale today. Need to have one of my own!

Old 09-23-2017, 10:30 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Yup. I resisted an urge to go to an estate sale today. Need to have one of my own!

LOL I am proud of you!

Old 09-23-2017, 03:08 PM

1,831 posts, read 1,432,520 times
We actually managed to haul away some furniture this week. I'm loving the open feel in the great room now. When the company leaves early next week, I've stacked up a pickup bed full of things to donate.

Now, if I can only get Spousal Unit to clean out his tool box, which has more junk in it than tools...

Old 09-23-2017, 05:36 PM

1,573 posts, read 2,926,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkay66 View Post
We actually managed to haul away some furniture this week. I'm loving the open feel in the great room now. When the company leaves early next week, I've stacked up a pickup bed full of things to donate.

Now, if I can only get Spousal Unit to clean out his tool box, which has more junk in it than tools...
I am lucky when my Spousal Unit passed away his shop was amazing and so nicely organized. I use everything in it and the few things I would never use I passed onto a friend of his that I am sure will use the things. I use his tools as much as he did so keeping them. Also reminding myself I really need to get back to the shop and finish cleaning it up from the building messes I have made this summer. Feeling good for you and your accomplishment. You have spurred me on ever more now.

Working on more of a kitchen clean out now I will no longer be cooking. Thoughts of entertaining are long gone now. Never did it in years I can not see it starting up any time soon. Kitchen cabinets make good storage space for dog and cat food paint and other things that can not be left out in the freezing weather. when I stock up for the coming winter. My dining room table is half covered in things to go away. I have a friend that still does lots of canning and preserving of foods so she can use this stuff I am done with all of that too. Keeping one big canning kettle to mix paint in. Hahaha It has mixed more paint than it has done canning over the last 10 years.

Old 09-23-2017, 09:08 PM

226 posts, read 214,795 times
Years ago I was the one that inherited anything of sentimental value. Even though my mom is still alive she gave me the family bible, my dad's Navy scrapbook, all of the picture albums, etc. I think it is because among my siblings I would be voted "Most Likely to Appear in a Norman Rockwell Painting". I like sentimental things and things with a history.

After my son died 10 years ago I have lost interest in collecting anything because I have nobody to hand it down to. My mother has become very good about keeping her stuff to a minimum but there are a lot of things that I know she would like to pass down (mostly to me because I look after her) and I suppose the best route to take is to say that I would be delighted to have these things and then after she passes try to find people who really could use them.

Old 09-01-2019, 09:55 AM

5,179 posts, read 3,091,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
That is a wonderful plan!

Thankfully I have two daughters who love heirloom items. Like your daughter, both are in their thirties. They've both settled down with good husbands and families and are past that stage where they are struggling to make ends meet, and moving from apartment to apartment or whatever.

One daughter already has quite a bit of heirloom stuff, including furniture. The other has smaller items but no furniture (yet) other than a dining room table and chairs which she loves - her husband is in the military and they move often. But believe me, the minute he retires and they buy a house, she is going to get a ton of stuff!

Just about every time I see either of my daughters, I hand off another batch of items. So far, they seem to love them, so I'm going to try to keep doing that till they cry "uncle!"

(I'm all into the little crazy phrases right now - my husband and daughter and I have been trying to think them up over the past few days - phrases like "cat got your tongue?" and that sort of thing - LOL.)
Hoarders in training.

After dealing with disposal of two estates and our own personal move into retirement, I am glad that my daughter has absolutely no interest in repeating the mistakes of her older relatives.

Old 09-01-2019, 10:17 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,385,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrilbyandDixie View Post
Years ago I was the one that inherited anything of sentimental value. Even though my mom is still alive she gave me the family bible, my dad's Navy scrapbook, all of the picture albums, etc. I think it is because among my siblings I would be voted "Most Likely to Appear in a Norman Rockwell Painting". I like sentimental things and things with a history..
I would definitely keep those things, like old photographs and scrapbook albums.

It's the other things like little Hummel figurines that I'd want to sell off or donate. My mom also collected Normal Rockwell plates believing they were highly valuable - they're not. Even the crystal she had, has declined in value.

I still have many old sets of my mom's china, not sure what to do with it all. It's hard to sell online and although I've sold some of it, the rest is boxed up and taking up valuable space in my home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving