Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 11:18 AM

130,460 posts, read 12,124,678 times

Advertisements

Rehab is key to a good recovery. SHe is doing the right thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2018, 11:27 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,769,355 times
I had a hip replacement in 2010 at 72 and after 3 nights in hospital and rehab there, I came home ALONE, no help as I was strong and MD saw this. I had brief in home PT and he saw how good I was doing, so only 3 visits. I did good for 5 months and then so much went downhill, shorter leg reared it's head, nerve damage and IT band damage. I believe surgeon did a sloppy job on me. And shorter leg went undetected too long. One does not know what to expect when it's their first experience.

Old 03-09-2018, 12:42 PM

15,641 posts, read 26,273,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJT123 View Post
Hello there guys!

So, the thread is pretty self-explanatory. I'm an only child, mom is 67 and in excellent health other than needing both of her knees replaced. Bad hips/knees run in the family.

She wants to recover at a (nice) assisted living facility rather than at home with me taking care of her. Do people do this? She says she doesn't want to fool with having to get ready for appointments, travel to them etc. I tell her that PTs will come to her, but she still insists she'd rather just recover there, as the house isn't ideal for recovery (stairs, etc.). She's like "heck let Medicare pay for it, I earned it" lol.

So I'm wondering if this is something that's done, etc.

I am happy to take care of her after the surgery but she's insisting she'd rather just "do it all there and get it all over with."

Lol am I bad son or does she have some valid points here?
When I was being looked at for a knee replacement, that’s exactly what they did. You did a few days at a rehab center. Not assisted living. They specialize in aftercare for surgery, can get the patient up and around and doing PT and if the patient is unwilling can browbeat them a little to compel them to do the work.

It’s a good thing. I asked everyone, including people I didn’t know, thankfully people like to talk, and one person had a bad outcome. And she flat out refused rehab. And then gained another 100 pounds.

Old 03-09-2018, 12:47 PM

And then there is the neighbor here who just went thru two hip replacements and refused going to rehab as she would not leave her cats. She was on rollater before and still is, not walking.

Old 03-09-2018, 02:25 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,744,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Normally after these replacements and if she's getting two knees done at the same time, she's going to need intensive PT and best place as I can see it would be the rehab facility. I believe medicare allows 21 days and by then she could be doing pretty good. That's a tough surgery and she's doing 2. I presume your mom would be going to a rehab facility. She'll get some pretty nice meals too and waited on.

My knee is nasty and I'm 79 and I'm dragging my feet to do it for a lot of reasons I won't go into.

Your mom is coming across with smarts. Good luck and hope she'll be fine.
Your mom is smart getting both knees done at once. Yes, she will be more comfortable doing the rehab where they have the tubs, pro equipment, etc. I don't blame her for not wanting to be stuck at home without the good PT stuff.

PS: the recovery is painful. Maybe she doesn't want you to have to deal with that. She sounds like an awesome mom, and you an awesome son.

Old 03-09-2018, 03:46 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,732,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJT123 View Post
Hello there guys!

So, the thread is pretty self-explanatory. I'm an only child, mom is 67 and in excellent health other than needing both of her knees replaced. Bad hips/knees run in the family.

She wants to recover at a (nice) assisted living facility rather than at home with me taking care of her. Do people do this? She says she doesn't want to fool with having to get ready for appointments, travel to them etc. I tell her that PTs will come to her, but she still insists she'd rather just recover there, as the house isn't ideal for recovery (stairs, etc.). She's like "heck let Medicare pay for it, I earned it" lol.

So I'm wondering if this is something that's done, etc.

I am happy to take care of her after the surgery but she's insisting she'd rather just "do it all there and get it all over with."

Lol am I bad son or does she have some valid points here?
What is the problem you have with her wishes? A lot of good can come from what she wants to do. What is problematic about it for you? Is it that you feel "left out", or you fear that being in that enviornment will somehow sour her vitality.

Talk with her openly about the issues you have with her choice.

Old 03-09-2018, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
What is the problem you have with her wishes? A lot of good can come from what she wants to do. What is problematic about it for you? Is it that you feel "left out", or you fear that being in that enviornment will somehow sour her vitality.

Talk with her openly about the issues you have with her choice.
If you read comments from OP, he "gets it"...

Old 03-09-2018, 07:08 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,673,855 times
Well so I was wrong, I talked to her today and sent her the link to this thread lol.

She is not having both done at once, and it's not an assisted living; its a rehab facility she will be recovering in.

Nevertheless thanks so much for all the input, everyone; even she commented that she learned a lot just from reading this thread lol.

I don't understand some of the responses acting like there is some hostility or "problem". These forums are a hidden gem for information in many, many areas. (Assuming you weed out the bs, trolls, etc.)

Old 03-10-2018, 12:20 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,638,823 times
I had my left knee replaced in June and the right one done on Feb 19. I didn’t go to rehab either time, but that was my choice. I had PT visits at home for the first 2 weeks, paid for by my insurance. (Not eligible for Medicare yet). Now I’m starting my outpatient PT 3x weekly. I’m pretty disciplined, so I do my exercises as directed and get in as much walking as I can.

I totally Understand your mom wanting to do rehab...they will take care of her and also make sure she does the exercises...there will be no lying around, that for sure.

She probably should re-think getting both knees done at the same time. She will be expected to get out of bed and walk the very next day after surgery. I can tell you from experience that having one “good” leg to work with is a really good thing. I cannot comprehend how a person could do the early recovery with both legs simultaneously. The PT is painful but essential. My left knee, 8 months after replacement, feels great and I regained very good range of motion.

Tell your mom “good luck”with her surgeries, and to not slack off on the PT. It’s one of those things where you know there are some hard times to get through; all you can do is bear down and get it done.

Oh, yeah...sleep is elusive for several weeks. That’s why I’m typing this at 2:20 a.m.

I wanted to avoid the Percocet and Oxycodone, so my Dr. put me on Nucynta, which is Tramadol. It’s less habit-forming and less problematic with the opiate-related constipation. After 19 days, I’m taking it only at night, and using Tylenol and Ibuprofen during the day.

If your mom has questions no later, post them here. I’m happy to share my experiences.

Old 03-10-2018, 01:49 AM

535 posts, read 343,836 times
If medicare is paying for it, and she wants to go, fine. Another thought is that there are risks for infection at nursing homes. She could go in fairly healthy, then get pneumonia from the rehab hospital. Home is better. The problem is that she doesn't want to be a burden, and knee replacement surgery is very painful. I wish her well, but she is better off at home. I had my RTKR done on January 15. It was so painful! I am still experiencing pain. I wish your mother well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving