Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 05:52 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
It is a good point to remind everyone. When I retired I had the option of taking a slightly higher pension for just my life or taking the pension that would continue, at the very same dollar amount that I was receiving, for my husband until he died, if I died first. And, once you made that decision, at retirement, you could never change it. Although, I had hoped that we both would have a very long life, I wanted to protect his financial needs, in the worst case scenario (like I died the day after I retired).
This was the option my stepfather had when he retired from NYC water works. My mother, ever the hypochondriac, told him to get more money now as she was positive she was going to die first. He died very quickly of cancer in February of 2010 and she is still going. If they had chose differently she wouldn't have to be concerned about money at her age.

P.S. - we certainly do get off topic from the first post don't we?

Old 08-20-2018, 06:48 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Just don't get constipated while you or your loved ones are in a nursing home.
LOL I had to laugh about this - I've been eating peaches and I have a bag of prunes I bought "just in case" since Mom has been in the hospital and all that. So far...errr...so good.

But it's true - I think lots of people do what I did when Mom was in the ER and hospital - heck, I lost 5 pounds in 2 days because I just wasn't eating or drinking enough.

Old 08-20-2018, 06:49 AM

Someone should start a thread on financial decisions and their impacts on retirement - heck, I'll do it.

Old 08-21-2018, 11:49 AM

47 posts, read 35,125 times
Thank you for sharing your story. One thing that some people may not be aware of is how statins can lower CoQ10 levels in the body. One option, as mentioned previously, is to take a water and fat-soluble CoQ10 with the statin medication and work with your doctor on this. CoQ10 provides cognitive benefits, acts as an antioxidant, and has many other benefits. So, perhaps this is one thing that is missing! Here is some research about the possible link to Alzheimer’s: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2785862/

Old 08-23-2018, 08:25 PM

47 posts, read 35,125 times
Default CoQ10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
My new doctor suggested I take Co-Q10 for my slightly high cholesterol. It's too soon to tell if it's working but my older kept trying to push statins on me and I kept refusing them.
Nice, and have you seen research that suggest CoQ10 may help support brain health? https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2785862/
However, not all supplements are created equally and it is better to look for a CoQ10 that is both water and fat-soluble.

Old 12-07-2019, 06:02 AM

14 posts, read 12,210 times
My grandma had dementia and she used to sit in gloomy spaces. Her doc mentioned it to poor lighting in her house. Is it valid? like, is our circadian rhythm destabilization effects mental health (dementia)?

Old 12-07-2019, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zara.Zoe View Post
My grandma had dementia and she used to sit in gloomy spaces. Her doc mentioned it to poor lighting in her house. Is it valid? like, is our circadian rhythm destabilization effects mental health (dementia)?
I don't know about your grandmother's situation but I can tell you that with both my mom and my mother in law (mom had vascular dementia and my MIL had Alzheimer's) their days and nights got messed up. Also, they both seemed to see things that other people simply didn't see. And they both seemed to have a very limited field of vision. With both of them, toward the end of their lives, they lost their glasses and it seemed ridiculous to try to buy more expensive prescription glasses, since they couldn't read and couldn't even really seem to see normally. They certainly wouldn't have kept up with a pair of glasses. In fact, my MIL took one pair and right in front of us, suddenly just broke them right in half and smiled at us afterward.

My mom would go to bed at 3 or 4 in the afternoon and then get back up and start wandering around around 9 pm and she would think it was daytime and get mad if someone tried to convince her otherwise. In fact, I had to put her calls on mute after about 9 because she would sometimes call me just to chat at 2 or 3 am. Then of COURSE she would be sleepy again during the day and the cycle would continue.

It didn't seem to matter whether it was light or dark - like I said, neither of them seemed to be able to even tell whether it was light or dark.

Old 12-07-2019, 07:50 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,674,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
With both of them, toward the end of their lives, they lost their glasses and it seemed ridiculous to try to buy more expensive prescription glasses, since they couldn't read and couldn't even really seem to see normally.
Sadly true, Kathryn. And when I took my Mom to the optometrist to get her fitted for a new pair of glasses, she couldn't answer his questions coherently ("Are the horizontal or vertical lines darker?" "Yes") so he had to guess at her correct prescription.

Quote:
It didn't seem to matter whether it was light or dark - like I said, neither of them seemed to be able to even tell whether it was light or dark.
Yes, and when I asked my Mom what she wanted to eat she would often answer "For breakfast or dinner?" She didn't have a good sense of time passing.

Old 12-07-2019, 08:44 AM

893 posts, read 510,637 times
What is the best action to take if you notice signs of early dementia - does any medication help if the person takes it early?

Old 12-07-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkypeanut View Post
What is the best action to take if you notice signs of early dementia - does any medication help if the person takes it early?

There are meds that can slow dementia, such as Aricept, but there is no cure, and eventually the effects of dementia overtake the drug.

https://www.healthline.com/health/de...#effectiveness

Drugs didn't really seem to help my mom much (vascular dementia) but who knows - she could have gotten worse faster without them. I don't know. I do think that with my MIL, her "memory pills" as she called them probably bought her a year or more of fairly normal behavior - enough to live at home with her husband. But even though she began taking "memory pills" as soon as she was diagnosed with dementia, she would have never been able to live alone once she was diagnosed.

And once the meds quit working - and they will as the dementia increases - there was simply no stopping or slowing down the progression of the disease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.