Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2020, 10:22 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times

Advertisements

I am so sorry that your father and your whole family is going through this situation.

I am sending warm, kind thoughts and virtual <<<hugs>>> to you and your entire family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2020, 02:40 PM

63 posts, read 45,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
“He” didn’t cause it. A bat caused it. And if you spend a little time researching, there are a lot of folks out there that think all this distancing and shutdown was unnecessary and foolis. Better to let the virus run through the community and take out whoever, and get herd immunity in a much shorter time.

Not my opinion, but just throwing that out there so you have more perspective.

I've definitely been exposed to that opinion, being on vacation over Spring Break outsidde Orlando, FLA, and back here in Sebastopol, CA. I know....everyone has their stance. I won't debate. Scientic fact supports the distanciing, masks....nurses and doctors for obvious reason wear surgical masks, gowns. And I do know that our leader purposely absconds the needed supplies from different states. That and acting way too late created a s*** storm. It may have saved my dad if staff had masks. They simply don't. Many places don't. Grocery store clerks largely don't. There are statistics re New York Times about the death rates. I'll say no more. And I'm not usually political but watching the stealing of states supplies and seeing the facility have zero masks, and I know its happening in thousands of other instances each day.....rips me up.

Time will tell right?
Where I'm living we have a very pre-emptive governor. We did the shutdown thing way back, and the county supervisor here shut down airbnbs, all non-essential, all parks, any access to ocean as people not doing the 6' thing. We may get hit as bad as some. But right now we literally flattened the curve....statistically. Sorry. I know I'm being righteous. I had strong feelings about the whole thing, now I have very strong feelings now that its hit home. Its different when that happens.

Old 04-09-2020, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I am so sorry that your father and your whole family is going through this situation.

I am sending warm, kind thoughts and virtual <<<hugs>>> to you and your entire family.
Thank you. That is so sweet, I really appreciate that immensely. You and yours stay safe. This too shall pass.

Old 04-09-2020, 02:53 PM

37,591 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maganita View Post
I've definitely been exposed to that opinion, being on vacation over Spring Break outsidde Orlando, FLA, and back here in Sebastopol, CA. I know....everyone has their stance. I won't debate. Scientic fact supports the distanciing, masks....nurses and doctors for obvious reason wear surgical masks, gowns. And I do know that our leader purposely absconds the needed supplies from different states. That and acting way too late created a s*** storm. It may have saved my dad if staff had masks. They simply don't. Many places don't. Grocery store clerks largely don't. There are statistics re New York Times about the death rates. I'll say no more. And I'm not usually political but watching the stealing of states supplies and seeing the facility have zero masks, and I know its happening in thousands of other instances each day.....rips me up.

Time will tell right?
Where I'm living we have a very pre-emptive governor. We did the shutdown thing way back, and the county supervisor here shut down airbnbs, all non-essential, all parks, any access to ocean as people not doing the 6' thing. We may get hit as bad as some. But right now we literally flattened the curve....statistically. Sorry. I know I'm being righteous. I had strong feelings about the whole thing, now I have very strong feelings now that its hit home. Its different when that happens.
The death rates are not really that overwhelming. I mean, I’m honestly not trying to make light of this, my parents are elderly. But when you back up and look at the bigger picture… The deaths annually from the flu are far far greater. They make this look like a drop in the bucket. The 2017/18 flu season was responsible for an estimated 61,000 deaths in the U.S. The year before was 38,000, and the year before that was 23,000. Now like you said, time will tell, and maybe this will wind up being a much bigger deal. We shall see.

Last edited by ChessieMom; 04-09-2020 at 03:04 PM..

Old 04-09-2020, 04:06 PM

4,515 posts, read 2,520,191 times
Quote:

Time will tell right?
Your governor is in charge of keeping PPE stocked over the years.
I understand wanting to blame someone, but blame China for the virus, and WHO for delaying alert. And the NYT is known for reporting inaccurately. Its owned by a chinese person.
But why would you go on Spring break in another state with this going on????????

Old 04-09-2020, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
Your governor is in charge of keeping PPE stocked over the years.
I understand wanting to blame someone, but blame China for the virus, and WHO for delaying alert. And the NYT is known for reporting inaccurately. Its owned by a chinese person.
But why would you go on Spring break in another state with this going on????????
Cause I was stupid and selfish. And honestly the news was still building to crisis...I think if we'd left one day later I would have backed out. As it was there were very few people where we were. It was a very large spacious grounds/resort so lots of areas to just walk around. I carried sanitizers everywhere, we dropped everything at the door, sanitized everything and then washed clothes, showered. It was kind of relaxing at first...because FL slow to take seriously.

Never made it to a beach....everything largely shut down.

Plane....asked permission to use my cleaner on my 3 seats and many of us spent awhile trying to sanitize absolutely every spot in the area.

But it was stupid. I desperately needed to get away, and I do not have any symptoms.

I know the blame thing doesn't help. But my dad does have it, and I guess the state of VA having same issues as most other states. Trump did shut down organizations that could have spearheaded efforts. Of course its not his fault, I just know he is making things worse. Too many governors in different states complaining and finally finding/purchasing PPE supplies and Trump literally intercepts them and puts in federal stockpile to do with however he chooses. He's admitted he's hesitant to support states who won't publically show postive acknnowledgment of him.

This is a pandemic....of course states don't have enough PPE supplies, especially the states hard hit. Supplies quickly run out. Everyone, governors and the President, as well as private agencies with $$, and even some successful GoFundMe all are needing to hustle for supplies. My blame is specifically that he sometimes takes away a states order when it comes in....every mask that thus cannot be worn in a care facility is that much higher risk for themselves (healthcare workers), thier families, and the people they are caring for. I only live here in the US. I only know what I've experienced and seen first hand. And I pretty much stick to the NY Times or the Washington Post. Right now, after learning more of the above I am taking a break from the news. I am being as safe as I can, and praying for my dads wng.

PS... just got what your saying about NYT...I've mainly relied on it for their maps - esp US maps. I hear you find them unreliable. What news sources do you use?

Old 04-09-2020, 08:49 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
The death rates are not really that overwhelming. I mean, I’m honestly not trying to make light of this, my parents are elderly. But when you back up and look at the bigger picture… The deaths annually from the flu are far far greater. They make this look like a drop in the bucket. The 2017/18 flu season was responsible for an estimated 61,000 deaths in the U.S. The year before was 38,000, and the year before that was 23,000. Now like you said, time will tell, and maybe this will wind up being a much bigger deal. We shall see.
You do realize that we haven't gone through the full flu season, and certainly not the full "season" of COVID-19.
Here is a comparison of last year's flu deaths and this years COVID-19 deaths in the U.S. (as well as total deaths):
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...to-all-causes/

"As of April 8, 2020, the average daily death toll due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) in the U.S. was 274 since the occurrance of the first case on February 15th. Based on data from 2019, almost eight thousand people die every day in the United States. During the 2018-2019 (October to April) influenza season, around 161 people died daily on average from influenza."

Also note that the "average" daily death toll is rising fast so we'll very quickly be far more than the daily average seen last year - but hey, it's nothing...we shall see.

Old 04-09-2020, 09:01 PM

7,319 posts, read 4,115,298 times
Quote:
I know the blame thing doesn't help. But my dad does have it, and I guess the state of VA having same issues as most other states. Trump did shut down organizations that could have spearheaded efforts. Of course its not his fault, I just know he is making things worse. Too many governors in different states complaining and finally finding/purchasing PPE supplies and Trump literally intercepts them and puts in federal stockpile to do with however he chooses. He's admitted he's hesitant to support states who won't publically show postive acknnowledgment of him.

This is a pandemic....of course states don't have enough PPE supplies, especially the states hard hit. Supplies quickly run out. Everyone, governors and the President, as well as private agencies with $$, and even some successful GoFundMe all are needing to hustle for supplies. My blame is specifically that he sometimes takes away a states order when it comes in....every mask that thus cannot be worn in a care facility is that much higher risk for themselves (healthcare workers), thier families, and the people they are caring for. I only live here in the US. I only know what I've experienced and seen first hand. And I pretty much stick to the NY Times or the Washington Post. Right now, after learning more of the above I am taking a break from the news. I am being as safe as I can, and praying for my dads wng.

PS... just got what your saying about NYT...I've mainly relied on it for their maps - esp US maps. I hear you find them unreliable. What news sources do you use?
The New York Post is good. The Wall Street Journal is good too. The Daily Mail, while a gossip rag, has stories with more better researched details. I've been reading Rod Dreher (no fan of Trump) at the American Conservative.

The NYT is like a rabid dog. I grew up with it and remember when "the old grey lady" (as it was known as) was the best newspaper in the country. How the mighty have fallen.

After swine flu in 2009, hospitals did not restock their protective gear. When hospitals are for-profit organizations, purchasing equipment (i.e. spending money), lowers their profits. This is a bigger story for me.

NYC had ventilators years ago, but the city didn't want to pay their maintenance.

Countries like Hong Kong have masks for every single resident, but none for the USA. China has increased the price of masks by 10%. Germany has extra ventilators and was unwilling to share with their Italian neighbor or USA. A good newspaper should research and write about our so called friends.

FEMA has always redirected supplies away from states with less need to state with greater needs. This is just how it is done. Right now, NY/NJ is the hotspot so everything is getting shipped to them.

NY/NJ hospital workers are very tired physically and emotionally. We aren't in a position to make demands on these overworked people. They are also scared. They are dying.

Old 04-09-2020, 09:17 PM

7,319 posts, read 4,115,298 times
Just one more point -

the Chinese have taken control of the World Health Organization. The Chinese lied about the extent of their virus and the watch group, WHO, protected them. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-Bill-Bar.html

NYC Chinese American travel to China in Dec/Jan. When they returned, they brought the virus with them. Many people tried to stop the Chinese Lunar New York parades in NYC. The NYC Democratic Officials called them racist. In the Chinese community of Queens, 60% of the population is testing positive for corona.
Quote:
Revelers at the Chinese Lunar New Year celebration in Lower Manhattan offered an emotional message of support Sunday for their loved ones back in China, telling them to “stay strong” amid the deadly coronavirus outbreak.

The touching show of solidarity was even displayed on some floats in the annual parade, with the words, “STAY STRONG WUHAN” and “STAY STRONG CHINA” plastered on them as China battles to contain the virus that originated in Wuhan.

“We are here celebrating the Chinese New Year first, but we are also concerned about the people in China,” said China native See-yuen Kuet, 70.

Still, noting that no one in the crowd appeared to be wearing a surgical mask for supposed protection against the virus, Kuet added defiantly, “We’re not scared.”While some cities, such as Paris and Miami, have canceled new year celebrations amid the coronavirus outbreak as a precautionary measure, massive crowds flocked to Sunday’s parade in lower Manhattan.

There were around 20,000 people at the celebrations — on par with the crowd size in previous years, according to state Sen. John Liu.

“We have no confirmed cases in New York and we want people to know Chinatown is open and as vibrant as ever,” New York state Senator Brian Kavanagh said.
https://nypost.com/2020/02/09/nyc-ch...ravaged-wuhan/

Quote:
Mary Cheng is a director with the Chinese American Planning Council, running social programs for kids. She gets steady calls from parents panicked over rumors.

"I think the number one rumor that they have is this idea that it's going to be fast-acting…and anybody who's come back from China is infected," she explained. "We're trying to explain to them that this is a virus, and although it's a new virus, it's like any other virus."

Not one case of the new coronavirus has been confirmed in New York state.

The Lunar New Year Parade begins 1 p.m. Sunday, at the corner of Canal and Mott Streets.
https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs...pact-chinatown

This made NYC into the hotspot it is. New Yorkers travel around the USA spreading this.

Trump stopped ravel China on Jan 23, however he could not stop the return of American citizens from China or Italy - the second hotspot. He was tarred and feather with claims of his racism - including Joe Biden.

Old 04-10-2020, 04:56 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,467,298 times
OP— perhaps channel your feelings of helplessness in a positive way vs playing the blame game. Lack of masks? Lots of people are making fabric ones. You could make some for your dad and overnight them to the facility.

You do sound righteous by the way. Flying across the country to Orlando for spring break when you could have flown across the country to Virginia be local to the Dad you are so bonded to, and perhaps helped you sister out in this stressful time. Maybe that’s part of your sister’s behavior toward you. When one sibling holds all the burden of responsibility and another is “free” from that responsibility it’s often a fractured relationship.

I hope your Dad pulls through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving