Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2020, 04:39 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times

Advertisements

My sister has been in rehab for several weeks, she has cancer (widespread) and other health issues that halted the chemo treatments. She was diagnosed with pneumonia recently, and now Covid-19.

We understand she is terminal at this point, her primary recommended hospice a month ago, and things have only gotten worse now that's she's in a locked-down facility where Covid-19 is on the rise. However, her symptoms with the virus are mild, and the doctors attribute that to the fact she was already on meds for the pneumonia. But, she is on oxygen, is bedridden, and incontinent. Her medicaid benefit runs out May 8th, and we have no idea what happens after that. She is not married, and lives with another unmarried sister, who honestly cannot handle the level of care that is needed.

IF, she goes on hospice care, is she covered by medicaid? She is still considered capable of making her own decisions, and when it was first offered, she refused hospice. But if her care will still be covered by medicaid by changing her designation, I think we can convince her to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2020, 06:09 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times
Contact the liason for patient rights.
They are versed in the new expansions/exceptions that have been implemented for covid19 patients covered under Medicaid.

I'm so sorry your kin is enduring this medical challenge. It's heartbreaking to read muchless realize this is your relative.
My prayers are with her and you as her support system.

Old 04-17-2020, 04:35 PM

Thank you Nov3. Unfortunately, nobody answers the phone at the rehab center these days. I'm Googling, and I think she can still be covered, but ugh, the wording is meant to confuse, I'm convinced.

Old 04-17-2020, 07:20 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,580,323 times
Have you asked the Rehab social worker to call you?

Old 04-17-2020, 07:24 PM

164 posts, read 247,338 times
not sure but I believe for medicaid it goes my your income/assets but who knows things have changed since covid19 so sorry for her and your family, this virus is terrible...God Bless xo

Old 04-17-2020, 08:30 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,192,015 times
Hi Mattie --

I agree with the above posters that you should talk to the LCSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker) at the facility where your sister is currently a patient. If she is living at home, then I would talk to the Hospice LCSW, I think think are required by law to have one on staff at Hospices. Call their corporate headquarters (found in your state website for Dept of Healthcare Licensing, probably) if they do not answer their phones. If you cannot find it, call the Governor's Office, or contact them online, and ask for help through the Medicaid Liasion. You can also do this through your U.S. Congress person websites for Medicare. They have a staff of people to help you.

Like jojo, above poster mentioned, there may be some new Medicaid rules pertaining to treatment of the COV-19. It sounds like your sister may need long term term, and that is handled through the Long Term Care office. Every state has one, but the names vary a bit. Hopefully the LCSW will call back, because they are a great resource for all this information.

I am a little confused by your post. When you say she lives with another sister, do you mean she lived with her sister before she got so sick and went into the facility? When you say her Medicaid is expiring, I am not sure what you mean. Medicaid does not usually expire -- she may need to re-apply and re-qualify. Or she may need to apply for your state's Long Term Care services. The LCSW should definitely be able to direct your family in the right direction and help you.

The only thing I can think of that may expire is the Medicare Rehabilitation payment, which is @ 6 weeks and an extension, possibly. As you know, Medicare does not pay for nursing home care (except for the short rehabilitation stays), that is where Long Term Care insurance and/or Medicaid comes into play. Ask the Social Worker.

I do not know whether this applies to your sisters or not, but you mentioned they are living together - are there any combined assets? For example, a home? If so, you may want to see a lawyer. Are there plans in the works for how your other sister will be able to pay her bills without your one sister being there/contributing? This is something to think about and plan for. There may be some ready solutions available, it is important to think about these things. Or maybe it will not be an issue at all. I don't know.

Mattie, I hope this helps a little bit, and I hope you can find someone to help you. It is complicated and is happening at a very stressful time. Good luck, and I am sending prayers for you and your family.

Old 04-18-2020, 05:48 PM

Thank you SO very much Hollyhock, that's very helpful information. I live in the south, my sisters are in the Northeast, and I didn't realize the rules changed depending on the state. My other sister has POA, but she's been overwhelmed and I am just trying to search for answers she hasn't been able to get.

Old 04-18-2020, 10:24 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,192,015 times
Hi Mattie --

Yes, everything is so complicated, that's why if you can talk to the Social Worker, they should be on top of all the State rules. It is hard.

I have a friend whose mother is in Hospice care in a group home, and they have gone on lock-down, with the COV-19, and she cannot get inside to visit her mother. So stressful. Hopefully this will start to ease up; as long as people will try to stay far apart, and I am hoping the warmer weather will help too. Of course, it could come roaring back next fall. It is so hard to know what to do. I'm just a little person, I am glad I am not in a position of having to decide these things.

I hope you will be able to get some answers, and help, for your sister.

Hollyhock

Old 04-20-2020, 12:38 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,876,506 times
Unfortunately, Medicaid is too complicated for anyone to be able to give you a good answer. I would contact your state Medicaid. Although it may be hard to get a hold of them now. Also, is your sister on Medicaid only, or does she have MediCARE in addition to Medicaid? If she has both, it will likely increase the chances that she has coverage, although again, you will need to contact her insurance (Medicaid and/or Medicare) to be sure.

Old 04-20-2020, 12:53 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
My sister is on Medicaid in Illinois and at least here, and for her situation, all hospice care is covered as long as she is "certified" as needing hospice, that is, to reasonably be expected to live for 6 months or less. Though people can be recertified for longer periods.

Certainly there are state differences, and she would need to get approved for Medicaid too - that usually requires a "spend down" of assets. So there is definitely the possibility to look into, and try to work with the social worker on the case since getting in touch with government agencies is impossible these days! Best of luck with all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving