Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2022, 04:03 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,580,966 times

Advertisements

I can't find another forum to put this in. If there is one, let me know. A friend who lives in a state on the other side of the country has asked me to be her POA and executor. She doesn't have a large estate, doesn't own anything but a cat and a car. I've never done this and am not sure what it entails or if it is something that is manageable without travel, if she should predecease me. She didn't mention health care proxy, thankfully. Any thoughts? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2022, 05:31 AM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Does she have any living relatives?

I'm not sure if I'd do it as it seems more work than it's worth, especially as her assets are very minimal. I'd only consider if she had substantial assets and didn't trust her next of kin to appropriately handle things if it went to probate. But that's me.

Old 01-03-2022, 06:15 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,436,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
I can't find another forum to put this in. If there is one, let me know. A friend who lives in a state on the other side of the country has asked me to be her POA and executor. She doesn't have a large estate, doesn't own anything but a cat and a car. I've never done this and am not sure what it entails or if it is something that is manageable without travel, if she should predecease me. She didn't mention health care proxy, thankfully. Any thoughts? Thanks
Simple. If you feel it will entail too much work or travel, thank her for thinking of you, but politely decline.

Old 01-03-2022, 06:24 AM

733 posts, read 468,642 times
Quote:
Generally this type of question is answered in the Caregiving Forum. Also, don’t forget that POA ends upon the persons death.

Old 01-03-2022, 06:35 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbeagles View Post
Generally this type of question is answered in the Caregiving Forum. Also, don’t forget that POA ends upon the persons death.
Op stated ' and executor'.
So I think the person asking the OP is taking their end of life seriously. To be given such a duty, the person must think highly of the OP.
Most person's making these request factor in any travel and administration funds as part of the duty to wrap up the estate.

I was POA and executor' for an out of state relative. It was a PITA. Not because of the relatives detailed will. But the Looney NEW JERSEY estate laws. If I didn't hate that state before, I absolutely hated it when trying to settle her affairs. Heck I could have been living above her and it wouldn't have changed the roadblocks created.

Op- you can take this duty with respect and honor or turn around and have this PERSON delegate it to an attorney to settle.

If they live in Jersey, then you having my blessings to decline emphatically!

Old 01-03-2022, 11:27 AM

6,460 posts, read 7,798,579 times
If you have the room in your life, they are a very close friend, and they need this from you, I say to consider it. But it requires communication and conversations so you know the person's wishes, the documents they have to record those wishes (a trust, a will, esate plan, etc. If you say yes, it would not surprise me if they then ask you about a health proxy, etc.

This is an honor and intimate decision.

Best of luck.

Old 01-03-2022, 05:26 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,580,966 times
Thanks for your replies everyone. It's odd there isn't a forum in C-D to ask about this kind of thing. I have no idea what any of this would entail, and don't know how to find out.

Old 01-03-2022, 06:22 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Quote:
Thanks for your replies everyone. It's odd there isn't a forum in C-D to ask about this kind of thing. I have no idea what any of this would entail, and don't know how to find out.
Well, the request covers a lot of ground, so aspects of it could show up in several subforums: caregiving, economics, as well as here.

A POA (most likely a durable POA) is a very different kettle of fish than executor. She needs to research and plan out exactly what she expects her POA to do and when. A senior services coordinator in her state could help quite a bit. She needs to explore examples of POA agreements that will be recognized by her state of residence. They may or may not include a medical/healthcare proxy which in itself can be complex depending on her health situation (continuing care due to dementia, etc). POA agreements can be very specific or complex and sweeping. Sounds as if she doesn't really know what it would be either.

As already stated, POA authorities cease at death. Serving as someone's executor might be fairly simple and straightforward, but it will still create work for you and may require you to travel to her state in order to complete probate. Expenses an executor incurs would normally be reimbursed by the estate. In her state, probate for a small simple estate might only require an abbreviated process.

IMHO she should investigate establishing beneficiaries for her few assets. Chances are she "owns" more than a cat and a car. She has a bank account right? That's an asset. What about life insurance, pension, an IRA? Those are also assets with value. Assets with direct beneficiaries don't need to be probated. An executor also takes care of any final bills and other personal business.

As for how to find out more about these obligations, maybe the two of you can research durable POA agreements for her state and discuss what she might want. Then decide whether you want to proceed.

If it would include being a health care proxy, again, check examples recognized by her state. There is a format recognized by most states many people find helpful...here's a link:

https://fivewishes.org/

As for being an executor, you can look up inheritance/probate procedures for her state to get some idea what would be involved.

Last edited by Parnassia; 01-03-2022 at 06:55 PM..

Old 01-03-2022, 07:36 PM

11,077 posts, read 6,887,781 times
Quote:
She probably hasn't thought of it, but what I did was designate $1K for my POA in my life insurance policy. It's a nice gesture and doesn't take much effort to accomplish.

A lot, if not all, of the work can be done remotely by phone, email or mail since her affairs and estate are minimal.

Old 01-04-2022, 10:56 AM

6,460 posts, read 7,798,579 times
Quote:
I have no idea what any of this would entail, and don't know how to find out.
You can ask your friend what his/her expectations are (I wouldn't phrase it like that though).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving