Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2023, 06:41 PM

1,912 posts, read 1,127,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
The caregivers should not be sleeping during their shifts. They are working and need to be alert for small sounds or actions the elderly relative might make.

Even during the night shift, the caregivers should be awake. Just because the elderly relative is sleeping, the caregiver is working and should monitor the relative's sleep to ensure respiration is steady and there is no distress. A sleeping caregiver would not be alert to slight changes in breathing which could be critical to an ill elderly person.

Why would you pay a caregiver to sleep during a shift?
Got it, thanks.

For the question: Well, I’m asleep at night and couldn’t expect anyone to do anything that I wouldn’t do.

Old 01-09-2023, 07:32 PM

3,246 posts, read 1,739,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPNative View Post

24/7 caregivers who work for an elderly relative of mine spend the night in a chair, not in a sofa or in a bed. Why
Why would anyone do that?

Thanks.
Perhaps they don't want to be perceived as intrusive?

?

Old 01-09-2023, 08:21 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
From what you are saying OP they don't work for you they work for an agency. They have to follow directions to a T yes, their boss con come by whenever. No Nightshift should Not be sleeping. They should be use to sleeping in bed at home during the Day! Their Boss tells them where to park. So, they are out of the way if an Ambulance is needed. As for going after the paper Only if they are asked to go in a certain spot. They go anywhere else grounds for being Fired!!

Old 01-09-2023, 08:23 PM

9,111 posts, read 6,155,520 times
Quote:
Got it, thanks.

For the question: Well, I’m asleep at night and couldn’t expect anyone to do anything that I wouldn’t do.

When you work the night shift, you sleep during the day, not while you are working. It's not complicated.

Old 01-09-2023, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
From what you are saying OP they don't work for you they work for an agency. They have to follow directions to a T yes, their boss con come by whenever. No Nightshift should Not be sleeping. They should be use to sleeping in bed at home during the Day! Their Boss tells them where to park. So, they are out of the way if an Ambulance is needed. As for going after the paper Only if they are asked to go in a certain spot. They go anywhere else grounds for being Fired!!
When they parked in the middle of the driveway, instead of in a large parking area about 30 feet further down the driveway, they blocked an ambulance from being able to go down the driveway to access the house and blocked an ambulance crew from being able to take a stretcher out of the house.

When they would get the newspaper out of the driveway but wouldn’t get the newspaper if it was a foot away from the driveway (because they were told “get the newspaper which is in the driveway), my elderly relative thus didn’t get the relative’s newspaper. It just sat there one foot from the driveway.

These casual remarks weren’t intended to be taken as literally as they were.

Old 01-10-2023, 02:25 AM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
The caregivers should not be sleeping during their shifts. They are working and need to be alert for small sounds or actions the elderly relative might make.

Even during the night shift, the caregivers should be awake. Just because the elderly relative is sleeping, the caregiver is working and should monitor the relative's sleep to ensure respiration is steady and there is no distress. A sleeping caregiver would not be alert to slight changes in breathing which could be critical to an ill elderly person.

Why would you pay a caregiver to sleep during a shift?
This would vary by shift assignment.

Home help aides/care givers on eight or twelve hour shifts no, are not supposed to sleep while on duty.

OTOH those on say weekend or several day assignment where they are spending 24 hours on duty each period, yes they are supposed to have time off for sleeping, meals, etc... Indeed agencies do not pay those aides for straight 24 hours of duty, but only part of day. Assumption is they are "off duty" for 12 or so hours per day to rest or whatever.

Old 01-10-2023, 06:14 AM

Thanks, these responses are very helpful. I didn’t realize that caregivers who work the night shift expect to stay up.

For the issue of following instructions literally:

Today the relative asked the caregiver, “please bring the newspaper in.” The caregiver went outside, got the newspaper, brought it inside and put it on the floor next to the front door. The caregiver didn’t bring the newspaper to the relative.”

When I asked the caregiver why the newspaper wasn’t given to the relative, the caregiver answered, “I was told to bring the newspaper inside. I did that. I wasn’t told to give the newspaper to [the relative].”

So even though the point of the request was for the relative to get the newspaper, that wasn’t done.

Old 01-10-2023, 08:33 AM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times
Quote:
Thanks, these responses are very helpful. I didn’t realize that caregivers who work the night shift expect to stay up.

For the issue of following instructions literally:

Today the relative asked the caregiver, “please bring the newspaper in.” The caregiver went outside, got the newspaper, brought it inside and put it on the floor next to the front door. The caregiver didn’t bring the newspaper to the relative.”

When I asked the caregiver why the newspaper wasn’t given to the relative, the caregiver answered, “I was told to bring the newspaper inside. I did that. I wasn’t told to give the newspaper to [the relative].”

So even though the point of the request was for the relative to get the newspaper, that wasn’t done.
Are the aides native English speakers? A lot are not and may not understand American colloquial language

Old 01-10-2023, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Are the aides native English speakers? A lot are not and may not understand American colloquial language
They are all native English speakers and all seem to be natives of my hometown so we all speak the exact same English.

Old 01-10-2023, 10:22 AM

11,402 posts, read 5,960,793 times
Sounds like a very simple misunderstanding. "Please bring me the newspaper," is what I expect most people would say. "Please bring the newspaper in," is easily misunderstood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving