Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 04:55 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,656,730 times

Advertisements

Anyone who's a caregiver for a spouse of family member, do you often feel like the only way to get of this horrible lifestyle is to kill yourself? Do you often feel that your loved one would probably fare better medically and financially if you weren't around?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2009, 10:23 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,775,529 times
I hope you get some help if you are feeling these feelings.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:45 AM

392 posts, read 1,095,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
Anyone who's a caregiver for a spouse of family member, do you often feel like the only way to get of this horrible lifestyle is to kill yourself? Do you often feel that your loved one would probably fare better medically and financially if you weren't around?
You should seek some professional help if you really feel this way. It sounds like you need to take an extended break and let someone else take over for a while. Being a caregiver can be one of the most thankless tasks one can do. It can be emotional, trying and heart breaking. No human can withstand this indefinately. Take a break, get some help and when you feel better, come back.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:44 AM

2,312 posts, read 7,526,002 times
Suicidal thoughts are an indicator of depression. Please help the person with these thoughts get better by getting them to a psychiatrist for an evaluation. Medication and counseling will help.

Old 11-25-2009, 12:29 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,656,730 times
Yes I have depression. Yes I take something to help. No I don't see a counseler anymore since Psychiatric care isn't covered by insurance. But that doesn't resolve the root cause of the problem, i.e. being the Caregiver and sole responsible party. Throw in laws and ridiculous policies that prevent me from being able to do more, lonliness and isolation, financial security, the loss of our house, cars, and almost all of our property, and there's not much left over to hold on to.

Old 11-25-2009, 01:06 PM

548 posts, read 1,980,016 times
A website I hope might help you Preventing Caregiver Burnout: Tips and Support for Family Caregivers. Being a caregiver with no support from family is a great burden no one should have to deal with. A pox on your in laws for not providing support.

Old 11-25-2009, 01:09 PM

324 posts, read 573,671 times
Quote:
Yes I have depression. Yes I take something to help. No I don't see a counseler anymore since Psychiatric care isn't covered by insurance. But that doesn't resolve the root cause of the problem, i.e. being the Caregiver and sole responsible party. Throw in laws and ridiculous policies that prevent me from being able to do more, lonliness and isolation, financial security, the loss of our house, cars, and almost all of our property, and there's not much left over to hold on to.
OK, so it is not the care giving only, it is the overall circumstances.
Yes, it appears, you are in a difficult situation.
I would suggest, try to get help in your caregiving. May be your relative, or perhaps your state (NC) can assign you some nurse/nurse aid at least on part time basis, so you could take some breaks and put yourself together physically and especially mentally.

Sorry to see, that it is so tough for you. Hope, things will turn better!

Last edited by paulpan; 11-25-2009 at 01:43 PM..

Old 11-25-2009, 01:41 PM

392 posts, read 1,095,662 times
Quote:
There is so much more! You have life, you breathe, you have your senses. In my humble opinion, that is life! Experiences, good and bad. You cannot give up. I have a horrific terminal degenerative neurological condition that will take my life in the most brutal way in less then 5 years. Yet I awake with a smile each day and look forward to life's experiences no matter how small or insignificant others think they might be.

Please, get some help! There is help out there, you can and will get through this! If I can do it, so can you

Old 11-25-2009, 07:15 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,552,954 times
I am a caregiver and have for been over time for a mother in law, my father, and my mother while working a full time job and in between raising kids. You HAVE to find a way to care for yourself and not loose yourself in the process. You need some help. You need some friends. Is there a caregiver support group, a church, any group of people you can relate to? Many people hae to do this under horible circumstances. If push comes to shove you cannot feel guilty if you have to put the person you are caring for in a home because you are no good to anybody if ou are not good to you.

Old 11-25-2009, 07:18 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
closest i get is when i do the 10,000 volts out 3 watts back thing. but that is not anywhere near close to serious but that is in fact the danger zone. normally the delight i experience by disappointing my enemies sustains me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving