Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 10:15 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,862,614 times

Advertisements

Well we've had him for a few days and exactly what I want in a pet. I forgot what cats are like since I haven't had one in about 6 years, but it's that little something about cats that I can't describe that I am so fond of. Willow has a super cute personality. He follows us around the house and is constantly purring. He has his own room for when we leave the house or at night. We don't let him in our bedroom as of yet. My husband's allergies have only been a slight sniffle, but they are getting better every day.

One thing that freaked me out is that we have a little balcony in our foyer and I saw him basically using the bars like a dog in an agility course. I know that cats have great balance, but it was pretty scary to watch. My daughter freaked out and carried him away from the balcony. Cats do realize that they can fall, right? Do they understand the concept of heights?
Attached Thumbnails
introducing Willow-willow1.jpg   introducing Willow-willow2.jpg   introducing Willow-willow3.jpg   introducing Willow-willow4.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 10:22 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,424,010 times
LOL...Cats do fall and I'm not sure at a young age, they under the concept in heights. We have just one that wants to walk the balcony. 3 have fallen over the years, despite all my efforts. Hitting a hard marble floor can't be fun! Thankfully, none have been hurt. But with the last one (and I have tried various methods) we found plexiglass works best to keep them from at least going thru the rungs of the balcony. And, it can hardly be seen. It also deters them from making the leap up (or so it seems)
Willow is gorgeous! Love the markings and the name seems to fit perfectly!

Old 06-16-2010, 10:38 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
Hi there Willow! You have such a lovely tail!

Cats understand the concept of heights, but are frequently arrogant enough to think that the laws of gravity don't really apply to their furry selfs. And some of them feel more safe and secure when they get to be Up High. One of Five's favorite daytime napping spots is on top of the kitchen cabinets.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:41 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,995,469 times
Default Cover your balcony

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycat View Post
One thing that freaked me out is that we have a little balcony in our foyer and I saw him basically using the bars like a dog in an agility course. I know that cats have great balance, but it was pretty scary to watch. My daughter freaked out and carried him away from the balcony. Cats do realize that they can fall, right? Do they understand the concept of heights?
Yes and they fall anyway. They can slip or a gust of wind can blow them off the rail. Most don't survive the fall in good shape depending on what they land on and how high up you are. See if you can have someone cover the balcony with some kind of wire netting like hardware cloth. Even bird netting or a window screening will save your cat. Or don't allow her out there.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Yes and they fall anyway. They can slip or a gust of wind can blow them off the rail. Most don't survive the fall in good shape depending on what they land on and how high up you are. See if you can have someone cover the balcony with some kind of wire netting like hardware cloth. Even bird netting or a window screening will save your cat. Or don't allow her out there.
I maybe wrong, but I think she talking about an indoor balcony....so it probably can't be covered. We tried bird netting....they climb the netting to get to the top rail.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:48 AM

good idea with the screen, we have some in the garage, I'll make DH put some up tonight. Last thing I want is a fallen kitten.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:49 AM

yes, indoor balcony, like a two story foyer with bars that you can look down onto the foyer. I'm sure I can secure it with screen. It won't be beautiful, but that's ok. At least until he's bigger.

Old 06-16-2010, 11:11 AM

Here's what I did...as you can...You can barely see the plexi-glass!

So far, it's worked perfectly...they (especially, the kitten) can't go through the rungs...and they don't jump up to the banister to do the walk around! That table was a draw for them...but I have even stopped them from jumping up onto it.

Tried screens with one....they climb the screen...but it does at least prevent them from going through the rails.

Old 06-16-2010, 11:42 AM

387 posts, read 2,131,334 times
Congratulations! Willow is gorgeous!

Guinness is a spaz and has fallen down our stairs a few times. Maddie is a lot more coordinated and graceful. LOL Because of Mr Guinness, neither cat is allowed on our balcony.

Old 06-16-2010, 11:43 AM

2,455 posts, read 6,667,278 times
Ingenious idea, Shelby! Nice job!

Willow is gorgeous, absolutely gorgeous! I too, love his markings. He is so tiny! Thank you for sharing the pics! And welcome, Willow!!! You have a good home!!!! Hurray!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats