Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 01:32 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times

Advertisements

We adopted a big, fluffy Maine Coon mix from the shelter last Fall. His coat is severely matted, and he won't let me groom him. He used to let me brush him, but now he growls and nips at me, I take that warning seriously.

I called a mobile groomer, she requires that we help hold him. I'm wondering if I should take him to a vet instead? The groomer is cheaper, but the vet could sedate him. Marshmallow is a gentle cat, but he doesn't want his matts messed with. Also, the groomer told me sometimes if the matts are severe, the skin actually grows into them. He's obviously in pain with the matts, and doesn't even want me to pet him in the matted areas.

The vet charge would be about $20 more than the groomer, if he heeds sedation that's extra, but I'd hate to have anything go wrong with a groomer. Has anyone heard of that---the skin can actually grow into the matts?

I did bathe another cat today, he tolerated it quite well, but he's not all matted like Marshmallow. The groomer recommedned a lion's cut, but I think that's a bit extreme, and gets rid of his beautiful coat. The vet recommended a sanitary cut, just to get rid of the matts and the clumps around his bottom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 05:35 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,329,676 times
the vet would be less stressful probably and you should be able to discuss how you'd like it shaved off or get another opinion from another vet or groomer before taking action but don't leave it like that......it's such a shame but you'll have to do something to alleviate the problem... I've never heard of skin growing over matts ..but it could be possible.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:53 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,424,010 times
If he is really bad...let the vet sedate him. No matter his personality, once they get upset, stressed, over the grooming, it's all going to downhill from there.

Old 06-20-2010, 11:54 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
If he is really bad...let the vet sedate him. No matter his personality, once they get upset, stressed, over the grooming, it's all going to downhill from there.
I had to get a lion cut on my elderly part-Maine Coon once, at the vet. He was too ill to groom himself. He looked awful to me but he clearly felt much better. His hair did grow back before he died.

Old 06-20-2010, 11:58 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,862,614 times
I love a lioncut on a cat. I knew a himalayan who often got a lion cut, granted she always looked like she disapproved, but I thought it looked pretty cool on her.

Old 06-20-2010, 06:31 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,219,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I had to get a lion cut on my elderly part-Maine Coon once, at the vet. He was too ill to groom himself. He looked awful to me but he clearly felt much better. His hair did grow back before he died.
I think a lion cut means what I was going to suggest. When a Maine Coon gets too matted the best thing is to more or less shave their bodies (not bald, but hair pretty short. It will grow back and it's much easier to keep it maintained starting from "scratch." In the end I think it's less stressful than unmatting each clump. Plus the mats tend to be pretty stick and will just re-clump oftentimes. The clipper is a very scary noise, and sedation may be the safest option. But it will take less time than manually unmatting a severely matted cat and will therefore be less risky.

Neither of my Mine Coons enjoys grooming. Sadie is overweight enough that she has trouble grooming and although I try to keep up if she gets a small mat I cut it out. It's easier, quicker and less painful for her.

Also, one grooming tool I use that was suggested by my vet is a horse grooming blade (picture below). I know...I was extremely skeptical myself. But they tolerate it pretty well....Baxter even seems to enjoy it sometimes....and it really helps to get out the old hair from the undercoat.

http://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae181/CrowGirl1970/Cats/DSCN0053.jpg (broken link)

Old 06-20-2010, 08:52 PM

Marshmallow is an extremely long-haired cat, and a maintenance problem, that's why his former owner had to give him up. He was just a stray kitten when she found him, an elderly woman living alone on a limited income. When she found what he grew into, an extremely long-haired cat that she couldn't afford to maintain. she took him to a local shelter, they promised they would groom him and find a home, they did neither. I was volunteering one day with my son's scout troop, I found Marshmallow in a cage too small for him, unable to barely turn around. He was in the back, with the "undesirable" cats, not up front in the glass cases for adoption. when I took him out to clean his cage, he smelled horribly. His whole backside was raw, matted, urine soaked, caked with feces. when I asked why they hadn't groomed him, they said oh, they would groom him when he was adopted. How could he be adopted when he wasn't even displayed for adoption? And in the condition he was in, he was hardly "applealing".

I decided to adopt him, even though I have 4 other cats, I just couldn't leave him like that. I immediately took him to a vet, they shaved his backside, gave him antibiotics and steroids, cost me $175, but worth it, he's a beautiful pet. I managed to contact the former owner through his chip, poor lady thought her pet was getting the care he needed---well, he is now.

He was ok for several months, then developed severe matts he won't let me touch. I now see the former owner's problem---this kitty develops matts that are difficult to treat and needs professional care, which is expensive and difficult for an elderly person to handle.

I decided to forego a groomer and have a vet handle this, he needs the sedation, he gets "snarky" if you even go near his matts. he's such a beautiful cat, I hate to see them do a lion cut, it takes so long for cat fur to grow back, perhaps we could get a sanitary cut then follow up with a regular grooming routine, instead of letting it get this bad again.

I will post pics when I can, he's a beauty!

Old 06-20-2010, 11:38 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,995,469 times
Unhappy Mats are painful......

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
We adopted a big, fluffy Maine Coon mix from the shelter last Fall. His coat is severely matted, and he won't let me groom him. He used to let me brush him, but now he growls and nips at me, I take that warning seriously.

Brevity snipped
Please take your badly matted cat to the vet for a clipping. Bad matting can not safely be removed except with an Oliver comb/razor under sedation. It can take hours and the cat will look moth eaten. It's better to let the vet sedate him, clip him and you can start fresh. His coat will grown in nicely and you can brush him daily to prevent rematting. I never heard of skin growing into the mats. I never saw it at the Animal Hosp I worked in.

Old 06-21-2010, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Please take your badly matted cat to the vet for a clipping. Bad matting can not safely be removed except with an Oliver comb/razor under sedation. It can take hours and the cat will look moth eaten. It's better to let the vet sedate him, clip him and you can start fresh. His coat will grown in nicely and you can brush him daily to prevent rematting. I never heard of skin growing into the mats. I never saw it at the Animal Hosp I worked in.

He's going tomorrow, or as soon as I can schedule an appointment. He's such a sweet, gentle cat but nips at me f I get near the matts. they must br giving him a great deal of pai, probably as they pull against his poor skin.He likes to lie on his back a lot, probably to relieve the stress.

Having 5 cats, I have to be frugal with vet care, We always utilixe the free/low cost vaccanation clinics, anfd treat many common maladies at home.But I know when I'm out of my league and my baby needs probessional help.I'd like to post some before and after lion cut pics!

Old 06-21-2010, 07:21 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,329,676 times
oh yes please; show us some pictures, I do wish you and kitty the best and I feel he's in good hands, pity it's so darn expensive to care for them because I would love a Maine Coon...I would try to find as much info as possible on care for a Maine Coon and perhaps you can find a way to manage his hair yourself in the future without those costly, stressfull vet visits...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats