Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 07:38 PM

2,058 posts, read 5,862,614 times

Advertisements

I'm having panic attacks. They took away 4 of the feral cats, there's one more trapped and they have a bunch more traps set. The rescue is coming back tomorrow morning to pick them up the rest of them and fix them. I was starting to feel a little depressed because the kittens of the mom were just hanging around the trapped mom.... such a bummer that it came to this. I still don't know what the fate will be of the kittens, they are young and can be socialized, but it's kitten season, and there are kittens galore in every shelter, foster and rescue. I was always just very angry at these cats, but they've sort of grown on me in a weird way. My heart feels heavy tonight
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 12:11 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,835,891 times
Is "TNR" not being followed to the letter? The "R" of course means that you'll still see all the cats around, but now incapable of making more.

Old 06-23-2010, 04:39 AM

I guess I'm starting to feel panic because of the babies. If they don't trap the babies and socialize them, then they will grow up to be feral cats in this colony. Then in a year, after they've have babies, they will come in and TNR them. When will it end? We can't have 20 cats? It just isn't possible and they don't split up the groups. This morning there are 4 more cats, two adults and two kittens. Maybe they will keep these two kittens.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:17 AM

1,457 posts, read 4,055,578 times
You should be angry at people, not at the cats. People caused this problem. You are helping with the solution by TNR. Hopefully they will catch the kittens too.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:09 AM

2,455 posts, read 6,667,278 times
Sandycat, I've walked your shoes, and believe me, I understand the panic. You are doing your best, and that is all anyone, including yourself, can ask.

Believe in a Higher Power and know, somehow, that everything is in Divine Order (even IF you don't see it!) If I didn't have this "policy" in effect in my life, I would be bonkers by now. Maybe I am, but I just don't know it yet! You are going to drive yourself nuts, worrying about things that haven't even happened yet!

Again.......please.....take a deep breath......and do something NICE for YOU today!

And know in your heart you are doing all you can. Put the rest in a Higher Power's Hands.......

Old 06-23-2010, 09:25 AM

Question: Is this Mamma Cat still nursing? And how old are these kittens? Are they past 7-8 weeks old? If the Mamma is still nursing, a potentially fatal problem has now been created. She will not be able to nurse and these kittens will starve.

TNR is a wonderful concept, yet people don't understand feral cats, and treat them without much respect, love, or compassion. My heart cries out to so many people to treat ALL animals with kindness and with love. I have come to know feral cats, and believe me, they are not the tough, mean cats most people think they are. They communicate, they have emotions, and they are extremely gentle creatures.

I am praying for those cats that were taken this morning, after being trapped all night, all day long today. My heart is with them.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:36 AM

I don't think the mom is still nursing. These kittens have been around for a while, they are probably about 10 weeks old. These workers are angels. They are so awesome and have been so helpful. There seems to be only one kitten left, I felt so sad for him. He was hanging around his friends and after they took them away, he came back and started meowing. I felt sooo terrible. I fed him a can of tuna because I don't want him to run away looking for the rest of his herd. But it seems like they got most of them, 5 adults which will come back tomorrow, 3 kittens which I don't know what will happen, and there is one more yet to be trapped. If they can find foster homes for the kittens, they might keep them and come back for the last one. I'll know more tomorrow when they bring them back. I kind of get it. The backyard seems quiet without them. Who knew I'd actually care about these furry fleabags?

Old 06-23-2010, 11:59 AM

Yep. They sure do grow on you. And they honestly can't help it if they have fleas. Poor babies, having fleas is miserable. Can you imagine being bitten and itching uncontrollably? OH! I know how miserable a few mosquito bites can make you.

And thank goodness you have some good people helping out, for I have seen some who don't seem to have hearts. You relieved my mind, thank you.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:10 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,586,460 times
Thank you for helping them, Sandycat...!

Old 06-24-2010, 12:44 PM

UPDATE: They released 6 of them so far, and they took off into the woods. One bit one of the workers so it has to be quarantined (they think, but they might release her), one is going into foster care (YEA!), and I still can't find a young one that lost all of its family. I hope she returns. They want to come back and TNR her too! They said that two were lactacting, one had babies recently, so I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for them and one was in heat, so we spayed her just in time!!

sigh, not to pat myself on the back and I'm not fishing for compliments, but I really feel proud right now. Thanks to all rescues that do such amazing work and have such amazing hearts!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats