Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 11:46 PM

387 posts, read 2,130,654 times

Advertisements

Mine are. I was at work so I only heard about it, but they both ran upstairs and hid until the fireworks were over. S/O comforted them when they were ready to come out of hiding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 04:10 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
My boy Scampy, so big and a totally confirmed coward, does not like knocks on the door, strangers entering his domain or other scary things. I have no concern that he'll decide he has to explore outside since as long as the screen door is there he's fine. Open it and he's heading off the other way. One pop and I didn't see him, then he came out of his new hiding place which happens to be behind the stove. He spent the evening in the bathroom where he feels more comfortable. Not sure how to get the stove cat proofed yet

Patches, my brave one, did not even notice. He did move away from the door but thats all. He even comes out to see what has entered his space, and while he doesn't like being petted by strange humans, he doesn't hide. The girls generally take off to the corner and safety when the unfamiliar arrives, and in record time. You come to my place you'd never know how many cats I had...

The dogs I have now aren't terribly frightened of fireworks, but I've had a couple who had to be held they were so terrified.

I am just glad it rained and was too wet for anyone to be settng them off in their yards atleast

Old 07-05-2010, 06:42 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,824,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
What brainless people would even consider bringing their dog to a firework display ?
Not knowing any better isn't the same thing as being "brainless." I thank you for not considering the young man in my previous post brainless because he brought his pooch to watch fireworks from over a mile away. The point could be made that he didn't leave to take his pet home during the display, but he was genuinely contrite and remorseful that the dog had been so traumatized.
My family wasn't brainless to have our first kitten vaccinated only for rabies. We learned the hard way that that wasn't enough, when the poor lil' tuxedo died from distemper at five months.
When you see somebody struggling to control a companion animal or small child, do you offer help and/or words of advice? Or do you roll your eyes and think, "Idiot!"? Kids and pets don't enter our lives with a warranty and an owner's manual. Give the people they're owned by the benefit of the doubt and some forgiveness, why don'cha.

Old 07-05-2010, 07:26 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,662,886 times
......with age comes wisdom......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats