Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2010, 09:29 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,834,931 times

Advertisements

So we have some strays on the back porch (I have a thread on that).

Anyway, we left the pool ladder in the pool.

I went out tonight and one kitten was sitting on top of the rung that was inside the pool. He was staring at the water. Another kitten was on the ladder outside of the pool.

Anyway, I moved the ladder away from the pool. Fortunately nobody fell in.

I know we usually don't think about mundane things like that, but they can end in tragedy. Make sure there's no way for any of your animals to fall into your pool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 09:51 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,838,011 times
About the only way to do that would be to keep the pool covered at all times when there's no one around. It's too bad that the cats wouldn't understand if you put them in the water only briefly and then fished them back out, to illustrate what would happen if they "explore." They'd only process that you did something mean to them, so don't think about doing that.
Simply removing a ladder or even the diving board isn't going to prevent an accident from occurring. There really doesn't seem to be any other way to keep the kittens safe than actually installing a cover at night and when people won't be there. I've heard sad tales of young cats who DID drown in backyard pools. But "curiosity killed the cat" doesn't seem to apply once they're grown. By then the innate fear/dislike of water shared by all domestic felines has kicked in. During my younger days my family kept our cats under close watch until they were a year or so old. After that they could prowl the back yard to their hearts' content. They not only never tried to get into the swimming pool, they steered clear of any wet spots around it.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:12 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,834,931 times
The pool is four feet tall. Without the ladder in it they couldn't get in it unless they jumped off the fence directly into the water. The fence is a foot away from the pool and two feet higher. I doubt they would do that. We don't have a diving board. The ladder was my only real concern with that.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:31 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,997,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
So we have some strays on the back porch (I have a thread on that).

Anyway, we left the pool ladder in the pool.

I went out tonight and one kitten was sitting on top of the rung that was inside the pool. He was staring at the water. Another kitten was on the ladder outside of the pool.

Anyway, I moved the ladder away from the pool. Fortunately nobody fell in.

I know we usually don't think about mundane things like that, but they can end in tragedy. Make sure there's no way for any of your animals to fall into your pool.
Also make sure they have some way to get out of the pool should they fall in. A plank or bench of some kind attached to the side, in the water, would help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats