Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 04:16 PM

6,819 posts, read 9,050,477 times

Advertisements

One of my neighbors (#1) had adopted two white cats. Because someone in their family has an allergy, they confine these cats to their garage. Temperatures in North Carolina can get into the 80's and 90's outside, and can be much higher in a garage. The neighbor does leave his doors open a bit, although I've seen them closed when I assume the cats are made to live outside.

One of the cats is very aggressive and goes around harassing other cats, including mine. One day it was letting me pet it and suddenly bit me enough to penetrate the skin. I went and talked to the owner and the most he could say is that the cat did have a rabies shot. I didn't call the HOA, nor did I call Animal Control to complain. I just went home and put some Bactine on it.

About a week ago my next door neighbor (#2) confided that this same cat attacked her as she (my neighbor) was coming out of her garage. This cat is known to explore garages if people leave their doors open.

A few days after that, I am walking into the kitchen and see that we have a visitor. I thought it was our cat sitter picking up a check. Instead is was yet another neighbor (#3) who doesn't have cats herself but lives right across the street from the cats in question. According to her, a complaint was filed with the HOA, and the HOA has given the owners some amount of time to get rid of the cats. She thought that I was the one who made the complaint which got the cats in trouble. She brought some baked goods to try to get us to make peace with the HOA/owner/whatever.

Here's the thing. I know that my next door neighbor (#2) made a complaint. I haven't told my partner or the other neighbor that. I don't want things to get more complicated. I happen to think that the cat who has been attacking people is a real nuisance and should not be let outside. I feel bad for my neighbor (#1), but I also think the cats deserve to be in a home where they don't have to live in a garage. The owner of these cats (neighbor #1) has not approached me in any way to apologize or ask if I was the one who called the HOA.

What would you do in this situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 06:30 PM

5,007 posts, read 10,684,206 times
I would'nt do anything. It's a crappy situation but if you speak to the neighbor with the cats, then he/she will know that it was the other neighbor. That is, if they believe you. If they don't, then you are in for a nasty confrontation that makes things worse.

I would just leave it alone.

Old 08-25-2010, 06:36 PM

2,058 posts, read 5,859,938 times
Neighbor #1, the one with the cats, is stupid. They should surrender their cats if they can no longer care for them. I would be frank with them though and tell them that you did not call animal control, but you don't know who did. I would also make sure that you have documentation that the cat has been vetted. I recently got bit by a neighbor's dog, and my vet said that their word alone is not enough and that rabies is a real thing and not a myth. Cats shouldn't be attacking people, that's not normal. I would make sure it's up to date, and if it isn't you MUST call animal control. That's the law.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:14 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,941,485 times
You HOA is allowed to evict cats? Our HOA could pretty much care less but those cats do seem like they are getting a bit too much freedom and terrorizing the neighborhood. Regardless, that is so odd. I guess if I were you, I wouldn't worry about it. Just let the HOA do what they chose to and stay out of it. If anyone asks, just play dumb and stay out of it. It isn't your fault their cats were evil and that they didn't take the appropriate steps to keep them in the house where they belong.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:28 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,662,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
It isn't your fault their cats were evil and that they didn't take the appropriate steps to keep them in the house where they belong.
Personally, I don't believe ANY cat is evil in any shape or form. It is the human who subjects a cat to misery, that makes that cat hostile and act out. These cats are unloved, and ALL cats need to be loved. These cats are neglected and uncomfortable. Would you be at your best if you were kept in a garage in ungodly temperatures, never touched, and never loved? I don't think so.

So, please, think before you say evil cats. Try putting yourself in these cats' places and "feel" how empty, forlorn, and lonely they are. Poor babies!

Me? I would love to tie the owners to the leg of a piano, and let him or her set awhile in closed garage while the temperatures soar in the 100's. And by the way, the temperatures in NC this summer have been in the 100's for weeks on end. And in a closed garage, even hotter.

I waive my right to peace for the moment. Hearing things like this really **** me off! And some wonder why I have difficulty understanding humans!

Old 08-25-2010, 07:47 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,462,852 times
I'm with GOE on this one. Forget the HOA, where is the sheriff in this picture. Someone should be in trouble.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:37 PM

6,819 posts, read 9,050,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden of Eden View Post
Personally, I don't believe ANY cat is evil in any shape or form. It is the human who subjects a cat to misery, that makes that cat hostile and act out. These cats are unloved, and ALL cats need to be loved. These cats are neglected and uncomfortable. Would you be at your best if you were kept in a garage in ungodly temperatures, never touched, and never loved? I don't think so.

So, please, think before you say evil cats. Try putting yourself in these cats' places and "feel" how empty, forlorn, and lonely they are. Poor babies!
I have owned cats for about 25 years, and have also volunteered to work with cats for 3 years. I have successfully rehabilitated cats that would attack volunteers. I know when a cat is attacking because of stress or environment and when it's attacking because of personality. Those claws aren't designed so that cats and birds can play peek-a-boo. The cats really only need to go in the garage to eat. During the day they might sleep under someone's deck. I'm sympathetic about the cats having to move, but not that sympathetic.

I told the neighbor with the pound cake that I didn't call on the HOA (or animal control). I'm hoping they get the message back to the neighbor. It's probably correct that I should have called animal control immediately when the cat attacked me. Yes, the HOA around here is pretty strong.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:45 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,941,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden of Eden View Post

Me? I would love to tie the owners to the leg of a piano, and let him or her set awhile in closed garage while the temperatures soar in the 100's. And by the way, the temperatures in NC this summer have been in the 100's for weeks on end. And in a closed garage, even hotter.

I waive my right to peace for the moment. Hearing things like this really **** me off! And some wonder why I have difficulty understanding humans!
Until I fostered...I never believed that there were evil cats but there really are. Honestly it relates to breeds. Some of the breeds out there (the designer cats) who are overbred can have some major personality issues. Sure, humans were involved somewhere in there but a cat attacking a human isn't necessarily due to them being "neglected." As far as I can tell from the OP description, they were actually pretty happy because they had run of the neigborhood. The happiest cats in my neighborhood are those outside even when it is over 100 degrees. But, some cats are vindictive, some are sweeter than anything, some are skittish, some are lazy eating machines, etc. So, I will not take back my evil cat comment because they do exist. My foster Siamese is very evil. He is nice to me, but anyone else he will hurt, bite, scratch, attack. So, when he does go to his forever home he will be a one house cat (indoors). He has been with us for about a year and that hasn't changed. He likes one person and one person only. He came to us as an outside cat and he was definitely the neighborhood bully. It is hard to believe with his angel face and nice blue eyes. But, he just needs a sidekick Siamese and he will be like the cats in Lady and the Tramp!

This boy is not going to just any home...believe me! He is never going outside again either!

Old 08-26-2010, 12:43 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,824,184 times
I wouldn't put it past "Neighbor #3" to have dropped the dime too. There are people out there who like nothing better than to stir things up and then sit back to enjoy the fireworks. Nothing was said about the household which shouldn't've adopted cats they couldn't provide a complete home for in the first place. All the more reason for letting sleeping - er, cats - lie.
Maybe it's my urban sensibilities, but I'd be none too happy to walk in my house only to find somebody there no matter who they were. If I'm not outside and don't answer the doorbell, come back later. This Neighbor #3 sounds like a world-class buttinsky (as opposed to zitsky, lol.)
If only more cities/towns/etc had HOA's (whatever that stands for) that were as vigilant.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:52 AM

2,455 posts, read 6,662,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
I told the neighbor with the pound cake that I didn't call on the HOA (or animal control).
The truth, no matter the ramifications, is always the best policy! Good for you! Now at least you can "live" with yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats