Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2010, 12:22 AM

542 posts, read 1,479,347 times

Advertisements

This is a repost from the NYC board:

Hello all. Just 3 1/2 more weeks until we make our big move via airplane from Seattle to NY (Williamsburg, Brooklyn to be exact). We are flying on Delta and will be bringing our cats (2) on the plane with us, each in a soft carrier under the seats in front of us. I have already made these arrangements with the airline (and will call again in a week or so to re-verify) and have gotten all of the necessary information. On Delta's website (which was also verified on the phone to me), they do NOT require a Certification of Health from the vet for our carried-on-board cats. I am wondering if anyone has had any experience traveling with their pets in the cabin, and particularly into JFK. Delta has made it clear (I plan to ask again when I call to reconfirm the cats' reservations) they do not require the certificate. Would there be anyone other than a Delta employee that would ask me for it?

Any information and shared experiences are appreciated! Any other tips regarding flying with pets would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 03:47 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,427,070 times
It is the State you are traveling to that would/may require the Health Certificate. Check with them. BUT, in saying that, between my daughter and I, we have delivered many kittens to all over the States and not once have we ever been asked to produce a health certificate. It would actually mean a rep. from the State standing at the dis-embarking area and stopping you as you de-planned! If it makes you feel better, having one couldn't hurt...but it must be less than 10 days old from the date of your departure.

You will have to take your cats out of the carriers to go through security. As a safety measure, have a harness on them. The sounds and bustle of security is enough to scare any cat. A harness insures they will not bolt out of your arms.
You may want to bring some wet-ones or paper towels as well. Just in case they get air sick.
Also, once you board the aircraft, you will not be able to take them out of the carriers.

Old 09-06-2010, 06:15 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,034,727 times
wise advice, as usual, from shelbygirl....... particularly about having them in well fitting harnesses.....

i would go ahead and get health certificates for them.... the vet probably charges about $10-15 each.... but better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it..... quarantine would REALLY suck after having flown across the country......

i flew a cat from houston to st. louis over 20 years ago.... she was a tiny cat and fit into a hard plastic carrier that was still small enough to fit under the seat..... and even having been administered kitty valium, she was still very upset at the whole process.... and this was before security was as ramped up as it is these days..... just know your kitties are going to be unhappy for a while, but this too shall pass......

Old 09-06-2010, 09:25 PM

542 posts, read 1,479,347 times
thank you so much ladies!

Old 09-07-2010, 05:04 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,427,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sekhmet1974 View Post
thank you so much ladies!
Your very welcome! Safe travels!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats