Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 12:38 PM

83 posts, read 357,159 times

Advertisements

I want to mve 4 cats from california to colorado, any tips, anyone know of a pet moving company?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2007, 01:48 PM

75 posts, read 347,667 times
There are pet moving companies. I don't know any specific names. Look on the internet. I moved my two cats from Fl to TN in a crate and just drove. We had to go slow so we did ended up staying the night at a hotel one night and snuck them in so they could move around. Good Luck

Old 02-22-2007, 02:34 PM

1,942 posts, read 8,488,979 times
I moved from PA to FL, which is a long drive. We had 3 cats. We took them down in crates. We would stop around lunch time and then dinner, for about 20-30 minutes, and brought a litter pan and food, and let htem out in the van. They didn't eat or use the pan at all. Then we rented the hotel at night, and brought out the pan and food, and they did use it. The cats were fine, totally adjustable. I wouldn't waste money on a pet moving company, unless maybe you're not driving/??

Old 02-22-2007, 05:39 PM

104 posts, read 458,284 times
Thumbs down DON'T use Flypets.com!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ioneoskay View Post
I want to mve 4 cats from california to colorado, any tips, anyone know of a pet moving company?
I moved our 6 cats from Los Angeles to Charlotte, North Carolina a year ago. We had to use a pet relocation company since we were flying out ourselves. I tried getting recommendations for pet relocation companies from my vet, the Humane Society, relocation forums, opinion websites, but I couldn't find anyone who had ever used any. I then researched & researched pet relocation companies on the internet and finally picked the one that seemed to meet my needs -- many years in business, and door to door pick-up & delivery (since we wouldn't be in Charlotte until 36 hours after they arrived) among other things.

I picked Flypets.com. I would NEVER use them again, nor recommend them to anyone!!! They were nice enough, until I booked with them & they had my money -- which was about $75 more per cat than their estimate one week before. After that, they barely wanted to answer my questions, & since I had never shipped animals before, I had a few!! They finally told me to ask the "pick-up person" any other questions I had. When he arrived & I asked him a couple of questions, he told me, "Hey lady, I just come & collect the animals to take them to the airport. I don't know anything more than that." He then literally threw the cat carriers in the back of his van. By this time, I was praying that I would see all of them alive by the time we arrived in Charlotte, but I had my doubts. They all did make it to Charlotte, but not in the greatest of conditions. We also had initially booked them to ship 9 cats, but ended up only shipping 6. They then told me they would charge me more to ship the 6 than the 9 (huh?!?), even though they had previously told me they didn't think they could get all 9 on 1 plane, but managed to!! By this time, I had no choice but to ship with them, as it was only 2 days before shipment, & too late to go with anyone else. (I tried). When I talked to the owner of the company after we arrived, he promised to refund some of my money, but, of course, never did. This was by far the most stressful part of our move, including the 4 cars we had shipped by 1 company & the 20,000 lbs of furniture moved by a different company!!

I don't know who to recommend for you to use, but I DO know who NOT to use -- Flypets.com.!!! In hindsight, I would find someone who shows dogs or cats at dog shows/cat shows, and ask them for their recommendations.

Old 02-23-2007, 02:32 AM

252 posts, read 1,071,523 times
The vet can give u a sedative sort of, in case they seem kind of wild in the carrier. Mine didn't travel well, I think 1/2 pill was enough to calm him down. By the time we got to our destination he was sluggish at first and then settled in quickly. It seems like a cruel thing to do but my vet recommended it at the time for a long ride of 18 hours. I think seeing him like that hurt me more than it hurt him!

Old 02-23-2007, 04:21 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshvo View Post
I moved from PA to FL, which is a long drive. We had 3 cats. We took them down in crates. We would stop around lunch time and then dinner, for about 20-30 minutes, and brought a litter pan and food, and let htem out in the van. They didn't eat or use the pan at all. Then we rented the hotel at night, and brought out the pan and food, and they did use it. The cats were fine, totally adjustable. I wouldn't waste money on a pet moving company, unless maybe you're not driving/??
What mrshvo describes here is basically us, except with us it was two dogs and one cat, and we were driving from Colorado to Florida. I wouldn't exactly say the cat was fine, but she certainly adjusted. I would trust myself over a moving company.

Old 02-23-2007, 10:23 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,256,282 times
We'll be driving from NY to FL with our brood of 4 cats. We wouldn't trust anybody else with our "family", that's for sure. Good luck.

Old 02-23-2007, 10:28 AM

23,012 posts, read 34,370,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
We'll be driving from NY to FL with our brood of 4 cats. We wouldn't trust anybody else with our "family", that's for sure. Good luck.
I agree I would not trust "my baby" with anyone.

Old 02-23-2007, 10:40 AM

2,815 posts, read 12,983,593 times
I took my two cats in their carriers in my truck next to me from Las Vegas to Missouri. They whined and moaned through most of Arizona, but then settled down and got quiet. I had left Las Vegas very early in the morning and when I reached Amarillo, Texas, it was dark, so I stopped for the night and snuck my cats into the motel. I put out a temporary litter box and some food and they used the box, then jumped onto the window ledge!!! I had to keep pulling them off it so as not to betray that I snuck them in! I had paid with cash for the room so they couldn't come back later and charge me a fee for the animals if they discovered them. The fees for having pets in the room are outrageous.
Early the next morning I stuck them in their carriers again, snuck them out to the truck, then drove on through to Missouri. They were fine.

Old 02-23-2007, 12:04 PM

83 posts, read 357,159 times
Default Moving cats

What a wonderful person you are. I have 6 and am really working hard on thinking how to get them moved a long distance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats