Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 11:41 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,592,619 times

Advertisements

I usually post on the dog forum but am turning to all of you cat people for some advice.

My dad is 86 with some dementia but still lives on his own with a cat and one of my dogs. My mom died about 4 yrs ago from cancer. I live 120 miles away but try to get down at least once a month to check on him. My brother and his family live 1 house away from dad but have not been much help.

When I got down here the other day I noticed his cat, Alphie was very thin and this is a cat that had always been a tall large cat. I think in his prime he was about 22 lbs. He was not a small fat cat as he is a large cat in general. Now he weighs 9 lbs! Since my mom died his weight has gone down slowly but suddenly there seemed to have been a big loss and the cat looked awful so I dragged him into the vets. He is there for a few days and the vet called this morning to say the cat has diabetes.

Alphie is 11 yrs old and now will need insulin twice a day. I am not sure my dad will be able to remember this or even give the correct dose as at 86 his eye sight is not to the point where he will be able to see the markings on the syringe well. I know I can not count on my brother or any of his family to come over twice a day so that does not seem to be an option. I had a cat years ago that died from oral cancer and while I do not dislike cats I am more of a dog person as I do not like litter boxes or having my furniture destroyed by cat claws and this is also a long haired cat that seems to shed alot and his hair is sticky so hard to get off things. Do I want the cat...not really but then there is the part of me that would hate to put a cat to sleep for something that is manageable that he could live with.

I am wondering if some of you that have diabetic cats can tell me what it is like taking care of one?About how much do you spend a month on food and medical bills as I am assuming it will mean one of the god awful special diets that cost a fortune at the vets?

I am really struggling with this as I said I had planned on never owning another cat and this cat will sit with my dad and sleep with him but hides from me so I do not even have that oh he is so cute and cuddly factor going . I also tried changing him to feline pine which I had switched my cat to years ago and made the litter box issue tolerable as I did not get all that tracking of litter and dust or even smell but he refused to use it and I do not want a cat peeing or pooping on my floors because he does not like the litter . Being outside is not an option as there are tons of coyotes . If any one has some good suggestions please share as I know if I tell the vet to put him to sleep based on what I know at this moment it will make me feel awful. Thanks for any sugestions you have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 11:56 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,853,022 times
What kind of food is the cat currently eating? A high protein-low carb diet can really help and in some cases reverse the diabetes in cats. And high protein food doesn't have to cost a ton- just get good at reading the labels. There are apparently some versions of Fancy Feast that fit the high protein/low carb parameters.

http://www.felinediabetes.com/printgluten.htm

As for the shots, I'll leave it to others to talk about costs and hassle, but it seems like if you can find a reasonable price on insulin, the shotes themselves are not a huge deal. Looks like a pretty good site here:

http://www.felinediabetes.com/

Old 09-17-2010, 04:04 PM

54 posts, read 229,023 times
I would take in the cat so it doesn't go to a shelter when your dad passes.

Also the food advise is a good one, A dieabetic cat on canned low carb foods may one day not have to have insalin.

Old 09-17-2010, 05:32 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,328,604 times
I have a diabetic cat do I'm going to give my two cents.

A diabetic cat needs care and attention. And leaving the cat with your dad in the situation he's in really isn't a good idea. It's not a case of give the cat his shots and food twice a day and go on merrily with life.

Part One

OMG OUR CAT IS DIABETIC! Will he survive and come home?

We had to haul our cat Jensen -who wondered into our lives as a stray- in to the vet to see why he was sick. Let's just say he was acting high. So we took him in and the vet started looking him over and said he could be diabetic and would we like to leave him for the day for testing? Jensen had lost a lot of weight and let's just say he was on the brink.

So we left Jensen wondering if we would ever get to bring him home. The vet was to call me later after some blood work had been run. I got a call a few hours later and Jensen was the big D.

At that point we had a choice. Since Jensen was not in a good postion when he went in the odds were NOT in his favor of pulling though- we had the option of putting him down or try to revive him.

We went for the revive. And the vet asked me if I was up to the task physically, mentally and could commit to a diabetic cat. He had seen too many cats get well as a diabetic only to backslide because of bad care from their owners. My mother and I are committed to caring for Jensen and have no issues caring for the cat what so ever and giving insulin.

So Jensen spent 3 days in kitty ICU before he came home.

Part two
The inital care after coming home

First off, the cat has to get regulated on the insulin they are on. Which means in a week you will be back to your vet for check and when I mean check I mean blood glucose curve where you leave the cat all day and blood samples are taken. For my cat he gets 6 readings.

And before they go for a curve you feed them at night and give them their shot then you have to put up all food and take the cat to the vet on an empty stomach where they start the curve and give the morning insulin shot and feed.

And this can go on for few months as the cat is regaining weight and if the curve changes. You can be going back weekly or bi weekly.

For a while my cat was going back in once a week for three weeks and then every other week for 4 trips. But at the same time he was regaining his weight back and we had to keep and eye on his weight.

Then after awhile we ran into problems where he was throwing up all the time. So we ran another curve and had to up his insulin to two units twice a day instead on two units in the morning and one at night. He was doing well for about a month and then he was back to throwing up again. We went back to the vet, ran a curve and backed down on the insulin to 2 units in the morning and 1 unit unit at night.

This seemed to hold for about 6 weeks and guess what? The cat was back to throwing up again. So we went back again, ran a curve and readjusted the dose to 2 units both day and night. And since our old fellow had been having issues we went back for a curve 2 weeks later and then a month later.

After the final check at a month he finally got the all clear to come back to a check in 3 months time.

All went went well.

Part 3
Jensen's Life as a Diabetic

Sure, he does normal cat things. He plays with the others, goes outside with me, sleeps with us, does what he wants....

But it is IMPERATIVE he receive his shots and eats on schedule. He has to go back to the vet every so often for checks. Right now we are at every three months.

BUT

you have to watch the cat for any sign of sickness. Diabetic cats have week immune system and let's just say you need to become friends with your vet. Jensen ran into some dental issues and had to have 8 teeth removed and spend the night at the vet after a surgery on a drip because he is diabetic.

And if you have to change insulin- which is what I went through here in the last 6 weeks- you have to go back to a weekly check then a bi weekly check for awhile. My old fellow just got the all clear here this week on his new insulin.

Part 4
Cost of a Diabetic Cat

It ain't no pleasure trip! It's a labor of love. I'm going to say the vet care is 80 percent of his cost. But here's a basic idea on what I spend:

Curve: 70.00 USD each time

Vet Exam if tacked on: 40-70.00 USD

Insulin: 80.00 USD ( 3 month supply)

Syringes: 3 packs with 20 at 7.50. And we use 2 a day.

Part 5
The Food

All right what do you feed the cat? Jensen gets two cans a day and a little dry in between. You and the vet are going to have to sit down and find a diet that works for your cat and that gives the curve the vet wants.

If you want more what to feed the cat, DM me once you decide what you are going to do with the cat.

I figure about 3 dollars a day to feed Jensen. Sometimes he wants more then 2 cans a day.

Part 6
My Tips for You

Get familiar with a vet. You're going to have to find a good one and it may take a time or two.

Having a diabetic cat can be a life changing event. You have to be home or find someone reliable to come and give shots. In my case there is my mother and myself. If we go out of town the cat has to go off to boarding.

In our case this wasn't too life changing. We have no problems working out a schedule to feed the cat, take the cat to the vet, or anything else. And we have a vet who is very willing at the drop of a hat to take care of Jensen if something is wrong.

And you have to watch the cat for changes in appetite or excessive thirst. Which means......YEP....a trip to the vet for another curve.

As you can see this isn't a picnic

Part 7
Conclusion

I hope this gives you some insight on what it's like with a diabetic cat and helps you reach a decision on care for the cat.

if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask here or DM me.

Jensen had been living with us as a diabetic for a year now and he is very happy and very healthy and as some on the board know VERY well- he's my spoiled baby.

Old 09-17-2010, 05:33 PM

1,457 posts, read 4,056,464 times
Can you maybe call your dad daily to remind him? I give my cat an insulin shot once a day. She eats Pro Plan kitten food along with the vets w/d diet food. If you don't really think your dad can remember to give these shots, maybe you can start now to find this little boy a new home who can handle his needs. 11 is young. My girl is about 16yrs old and I've been giving her shots for 6 yrs now, so Alphie can live a long life. I honestly don't see a need to put him to sleep. I'm sure your dad will do fine with just a dog, animals have a way of keeping people motivated in life. Thanks for taking care of your dad and his beloved pets. Good luck with what you choose to do!

Old 09-18-2010, 12:12 AM

I want to thank everyone for the replies. A big thank-you to you Chaseystarz as now I have more of a picture as to what life with a diabetic cat would be like. I still am uncertain what I will do as there is this huge part of me that does not want a cat and really does not want a sick cat on top of that. I pretty much gave up alot of my life to help take care of my mom during her cancer battle.After she died I then had to be the one to keep an eye on my dad and help him but keep in mind I live 120 miles away and I do work I also live alone so have no help at home. Due to the distance and having to drive through Los Angeles I spend alot of time driving and alot of time away from MY home and no my dad coming to live with me is not an option. Then a couple years ago one of my dogs developed nasal cancer and I had palliative radiation done so spent alot of money and time with his care and still made the trips to check on my dad it really left me with no time to myself and friends started just passing me by as I could never do things. The dog with nasal cancer died a year ago leaving me with my 14 year old dog and a young dog ( I also still own the dog that lives with my dad) so I was finally having some sort of life again despite the trips to check on my dad.

Now to think I may be stuck with a diabetic cat that needs alot of attention and will put restrictions on my time and tie me down again makes me somewhat angry. The money issue is just a small part of it but I admitt this past year not having big vet bills has been nice. But even nicer has been having some time to just do things I want to and reconnect with friends this past year and I am not sure I want to give that up for a cat that really does not even seem to like anyone but my dad. It was easy giving up time for all the vet trips my dog required and even spending the money but he was my buddy as I had him for 11 years but I do not have the relationship with the cat so am not sure how long I can do it for him.

As for vets right now he is at the vets my parents used for years and I do not have a good relationship with that vet as we do not agree on alot of things such a vaccines. But my own vet back home is great and he and I have had a fantastic relationship for years and he was so good through the dogs whole ordeal with cancer so I may take the cat home with me if they release him by Monday then take him to my vet and have a long talk with him. I really trust him and know he will be honest about the care this will require, my parent's vet pretty much said its not that hard you have to give him insulin twice a day and bring him in a few times a year for BG curves. Reading Chaseystarz post and also a webpage about diabetic cats makes me see there is alot more involved in most cases. I do understand that all cases are individual and he could be an easy to manage case but then again he could also be a difficult to manage case.

Years ago my parents did have a diabetic dog and yes she took insulin and yes she lived quite a few years and died at age 14 and I can remember my mom never really having much of a life as the vet said the shots were to be 12 hrs apart and my mom took that to be exact not 5 minutes either way so she got up at 6AM and the dog got fed and got her shot and same thing at 6PM so my mom always had to be home and would not go away for even a weekend! I know I do not want to live like that. I guess I will also have to check with my pet sitter and see if she has ever taken care of a diabetic cat before. There is alot to consider. Someone suggested rehoming the cat well how does one find someone willing to take on such a cat especially since he is not a real friendly cat? It is hard enough finding a home for a young healthy cat.

Anyway I guess I have some real soul searching to do. I am still open to any suggestions from any of you that share your life with cats, especially diabetic cats.

Old 09-18-2010, 01:36 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,622,786 times
You know chaseystarz was pretty spot on on the care.

We have had cats but none were diabetic. Our ferret Sugar was diabetic for 6 months last year, her blood sugar went up to 500+ count. She was already insolunomic with a low blood sugar count of 50, she lost weight and muscle mass, we though she was near dead. We had to quit giving her prednisone to encourage blood sugar and gave her twice daily insulin.

At one point our vet scratched her head and told us to quit giving her insulin and resume the pred.

The twice daily injections on insulin were very un-remarkable. Sugar barely noticed the injections. I would not hesitate to bring a cat into our home if it needed insulin. The vet visits cost more than the insulin. It can be cheaper if you can have blood sugar checked as a tech visit.

Old 09-18-2010, 06:54 AM

54 posts, read 229,023 times
Dry food diets CAUSE diabeties in cats. There's even a book written about it. titled Your cat.

I think your dad should be able to visit and see the cat whenever he wishes if you do take him in. That way its fair to him as well.

Old 09-18-2010, 07:34 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,553,902 times
The real pity is that it took so long for anyone to notice he wasn't well. Thank God you did when you did.

I think you have your answer, but don't like it, so you are searching for something more palatable. Sorry. No help here for that. I do understand from my vet that an untreated diabetic will eventually just go to sleep and not wake, but I didn't know they would become emaciated in the meanwhile. I suppose you could just let nature take its course, but I couldn't stand watching the process, and it doesn't sound like you could, either.

My last cat, Dustin, was diagnosed with diabetes almost two years before we had him put to sleep when he was found to have a cancer in his bowels. The costs were an impact, but at the time we could manage. We couldn't, now, but now we don't have to afford them.

We might've struggled through with yet another regimen of shots, in addition to the insulin, and the inconvenience of caring for him thousands of miles from his regular vet (we were a week away from taking off for our two-year RV journey across the country).

We didn't. I held him and comforted him, and let him go to sleep in my arms -- crying all the while. I don't regret it. I regret that was his life, and death, but not that I let him go.

It doesn't sound that you have more than the usual attachment that any humane person has for another life, so you probably won't have the tears. With your father's dementia, he probably won't miss the cat sleeping by his side, but if he does there are many stuffed cats on the market that are very real looking.

Old 09-18-2010, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatsPride View Post
Dry food diets CAUSE diabeties in cats. There's even a book written about it. titled Your cat.

I think your dad should be able to visit and see the cat whenever he wishes if you do take him in. That way its fair to him as well.

The problem with the second part of your suggestion is I live 120 miles away from my dad and I do work so no he will not be able to visit and see the cat when ever he wants. At 86 with dementia he can not make the trip to visit me.I try to make frequent trips to check on my dad but I will be honest they are a hardship on me so I will not be making them more frequently so he can see his cat. I also dread making them with the cat as the drive can take any where from 2.5 hrs to 5 hours depending on traffic through Los Angeles and into Orange County and the cat yowls in when in a cat carrier in the car.

Mayberry you wrote "It doesn't sound that you have more than the usual attachment that any humane person has for another life, so you probably won't have the tears. With your father's dementia, he probably won't miss the cat sleeping by his side, but if he does there are many stuffed cats on the market that are very real looking. "

Well, his dementia is not that advanced yet so he would not think a stuffed cat is his cat and he will miss the cat. He still misses his big dog Henry that died about a year after my mom as well as he misses my mom ALOT.So I do worry about how this will impact him but I know his memory and eye sight are not good enough to leave the cat with him. I had promised my mom I would look after the animals and see that they were cared for as she would have cared for them so to sentence the cat to death would cause me tears. My mom would go to the ends of the earth for any of the animals in her care.But you are correct I have no special attachment to this cat, now if it had been the cat they had before who was a loving easy going cat it would be different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats