Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 08:59 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LABART View Post
The house needs to be treated. If you won't fog or get a professional in you can try boric acid. I've heard this works by slicing the fleas and it's non toxic to dogs and cats (snakes, i don't know?). I'm not sure if it will help, anyone else heard of this?
I'll check into it, and maybe ask on my reptile forum about the safety factor... probably going to try diatomaceous earth first, since I've heard people say it's safe around snakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 09:18 AM

1,300 posts, read 3,602,293 times
Capstar only lasts for 24-48 hours, it will kill all fleas on the animal right away. Revolution/frontline/advantage lasts 30 days so 24 hours after giving the capstar you must start them on a monthly treatment. The only way to get rid of the fleas entirely is to get all the animals out of the house, professionally treat your house AND lawn, give the capstar while they are out of the house. And then start them on a monthly treatment. I'm sure you can find a professional exterminator who can use something that will not harm your snakes. If you move to a new house, the fleas will just follow you because they are on the pets. If you have dogs too try comfortis, it's a pill, it lasts for 30 days and must be taken 10 minutes after a full meal. It works. But you must treat the house, lawn and pets. If you keep treating one and not the others, you will not get rid of the fleas. Also make sure to give the monthly flea prevenitive right on time, don't skip months when you have an infestation. And once you get rid of the fleas, watch out for tapeworms in your pets' stool. If they have fleas, they probably have tapeworm. You can get meds for that from the vet, sometimes without an appointment. Good luck.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:49 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,825,943 times
I have been using Revolution for several years on all my nine cats and I have not seen a flea nor ear mite since I started using it.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:43 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,677,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
I have been using Revolution for several years on all my nine cats and I have not seen a flea nor ear mite since I started using it.

Wow! Nine cats! You're keeping Revolution in business. It is good stuff.

Old 10-19-2010, 04:43 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,535,438 times
Another vote for Revolution.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:47 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Sounds like Revolution is the preferred product, so I'll try that one first... FYI, I currently live in a rented apartment (should have referred to it as a home instead of house), so treating the "lawn" isn't an option or useful. When I move I'll just pre-treat the new place with a bomb, since it'll be empty long enough to be safe. Hopefully that will give me a flea-free home to move into, and I'll work on getting the critters flea-free before then.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:06 AM

2,455 posts, read 6,662,886 times
I just read this thread and what one of the posters said regarding the chemicals that are making chemical resistant fleas is true. I am seeing this phenomenon in my organic gardens, and no matter what I did this past Summer, I could NOT control the Japanese Beetles.

This is seriously troublesome, and is waving a huge red flag to me. IF we all keep treating the insects with the chemicals, the insects themselves will become more and more resistant. What do we do???

I don't have that answer. I don't and I wish I did. But, deep in my gut I know the answer is not more chemicals. We must start attempting to work with Mother Nature, not against Her.

I know there to be natural products out on the market, yet most of them do not work. I know. I've tried them.

I am extremely fortunate where I live, for I have a LOT of ants, which, if you would like to know, eat fleas.

And also what I DO know is this. If we begin to address our cats' immune system in helping it to function properly, the cat was made to resist insects. I have begun by addressing diet. My cats eat raw, combined with the very best quality canned. I would LOVE to feed them all raw, but, I have some extremely finicky eaters.

What I am doing is working. Yes, Mother Nature is working with me by providing ants, but I have decided to work with Her by giving my cats the best nutrition, and staying away from Allopathic medications, which in of themselves can and do interfere with the immune system.

I know that there will be many who read this post, and outright laugh, or be cynical and say, "Oh, there goes Garden again~!

I don't care. I am hoping that some who read this will start getting serious about the problems mankind himself has created with the now insect dilemma and do something pro-active. If we all work together intending to work with Mother Nature, the insect problems will balance themselves.

It takes work. It takes change. It takes research, study, and "listening to our intuition". I am doing it, and I am seeing positive results.

Do I have 100% of the insect problem resolved? No. But, I have begun climbing the Mountain called Insect Resilient Peak.

Old 10-20-2010, 12:33 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
We use Revolution as well; we haven't seen a flea, or evidence thereof, in three years.

Old 10-20-2010, 12:54 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
With the drops you still will see fleas as it takes 36 hours to kill most once they get on the animal. Those you see moving and on the surface of hair are likely already dying. For dog confortis works in about 30 minutes on fleas.

Old 10-20-2010, 01:45 PM

1,300 posts, read 3,602,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
With the drops you still will see fleas as it takes 36 hours to kill most once they get on the animal. Those you see moving and on the surface of hair are likely already dying. For dog confortis works in about 30 minutes on fleas.
This is true. Capstar works the same way comfortis does, but capstar can be used on cats. Both of these kill all fleas on the animal right away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats