Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 02:56 PM

216 posts, read 830,051 times

Advertisements

AlleyCatAllies has a ton of useful information on fostering, caring for, socializing feral kittens
Alley Cat Allies - Care For Cats - Socialized Cat Guide (http://www.alleycat.org/NetCommunity/Page.aspx?pid=891 - broken link)
I myself have never "fostered" feral kittens, they stayed with me.
They turned me from a cat ignorer to a crazy cat lady and introduced me so to speak to the whole subject of cats, feral cats, strays, overpopulation, TNR, etc.
And I must say I have become increasingly suspicious of some feral rescue groups going overboard and trying to "rescue" cats from a supposed life in absolute misery. I mean it's one thing to care for an obviously abandoned and starving or dumped by a human litter of kittens. But some of these groups I suspect go out digging high and low trying to find a litter that was carefully hidden by it's feral mama (they will also move their babies sometimes to protect them) and bring them in and try to socialize them at a IMO much too young age. AlleyCatAllies doesn't promote that either.
Then when they slowly adopted their foster humans as their home, they are being given away to new humans and a 100% safe and loving and forever home. Statistically a high percentage of them will end up in some shelter, probably in a cage. Then they get dragged around from PetSmart to Mobile trailer and offered like the latest model of vacuum cleaner.
All that being said, kudos to you for wanting to help abandoned kitties!
I couldn't and I wouldn't, they would stay with me, no matter what.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 03:05 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,617,939 times
My parents have a ranch and take in ferals every year. One was a Maine Coon, she loved the barn and slept up in the rafters. It took a few years but she would finally approach my mother for food. She disappeared after 10 years, we figure a owl got her.
They usually only take in the wild ones that will never tame, but they did get a couple of brothers that are almost tame. They do not take to strangers but will get close to them.

Old 01-17-2011, 12:16 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,473,128 times
Well, things are slooooowly progressing! I finally heard back from the organisation's feral cat coordinator and she wants to schedule a home visit to inspect my facilities. I guess I'd better make sure the spare bathroom is appropriately supplied with beds, trays, toys etc. Petsmart here I come

Any questions I should be asking her? I guess my first one would be how long do they normally expect a foster to stay in someone's home? I mean, after a while doesn't it stop being a foster and just turn into: "Hey I've moved in and I'm here to stay!"?

Old 01-17-2011, 12:45 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,427,629 times
I'm not sure what you meant about the light in the bathroom but I'd try to simulate a daylight/ dark schedule. I have a cat whose eyes are always dilated even in bright light. He sees fine but he's sensitive to light because it bothers his eyes. My theory is he might not have been exposed to any strong light as a kitten so he didn't develop his eye muscles.

Old 01-17-2011, 12:46 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,995,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
I've been asked to help out our local feral TNR organisation and I want to make sure I know what I'm getting into first. I don't want to be the person who says yes and then finds out I'm in over my head. I already have two cats and a spacious condo that they kindly let me share so I've got the room and capability. I was hoping people with this kind of fostering experience could let me know what to expect and look out for.
I never fostered feral cats or worked with a TNR org. I did foster mother cats and their kittens to age 8 weeks for a private Rescue. I loved every minute of it. It was very rewarding. And yes, I paid for the food and litter but they paid the vet bills. At the time I couldn't afford both.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Well, things are slooooowly progressing! I finally heard back from the organisation's feral cat coordinator and she wants to schedule a home visit to inspect my facilities. I guess I'd better make sure the spare bathroom is appropriately supplied with beds, trays, toys etc. Petsmart here I come
Make sure you get at least one cat tree for the little hooligans to climb on for claw and leg strength.

Quote:
Any questions I should be asking her? I guess my first one would be how long do they normally expect a foster to stay in someone's home? I mean, after a while doesn't it stop being a foster and just turn into: "Hey I've moved in and I'm here to stay!"?
Yes, ask her. There may or may not be a time limit. The rescue I fostered mother cats for picked them all up at 8 weeks of age. Some of them were very hard to let go of....

Old 01-17-2011, 04:05 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,473,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Make sure you get at least one cat tree for the little hooligans to climb on for claw and leg strength.

Yes, ask her. There may or may not be a time limit. The rescue I fostered mother cats for picked them all up at 8 weeks of age. Some of them were very hard to let go of....
Can't they just use the bathtub like my kitten did when I first brought her home ?

Old 01-17-2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Can't they just use the bathtub like my kitten did when I first brought her home ?
Whatever works to give them climbing exercise.

Old 01-18-2011, 03:22 AM

1,956 posts, read 3,636,534 times
There's a really, really good series of Youtube videos on socializing feral kittens, both younger and older kittens. I'd recommend checking them out. The first one is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpEcxIgMhyQ

Old 01-20-2011, 02:43 AM

553 posts, read 1,545,152 times
I've only fostered very young feral kittens before, nothing over 5 months if that makes a difference. They need a "safe" room first and foremost. Summer was just ending so their safe room was our man-cave/garage. If it had been colder outside, it would've been our bathroom downstairs. With lots of love, handling and attention they learned to trust us and became suitable for adoption. It wasn't really hard at all and I treasured every second I spent with them. We gave them paper bags and boxes to play in and they loved it. We also had these small, clear plastic dishes with a screw on lid that we put a big bead in and they were facinated with batting it around the floor. Provide a litter box, fresh food and water and you should be fine. Hold them every chance you get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats