Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 03:53 PM

1 posts, read 3,024 times

Advertisements

I just brought home my kitten today from getting neutered and declawed ( we didn't want too but he is ruining the furniture). As soon as he saw the older cat he started meowing really deeply constantly and wont let him near him. We are thinking its because he is in pain and doesn't want to play? Does anyone have experience with this? Will it pass??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 04:38 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,538,789 times
Hayls83 - this is a sensitive topic, so be forewarned that many people who post here may flame you for getting your kitten declawed. However, many people will provide useful advice, so don't get discouraged.

To everyone, now is not the time to lecture for what has already been done. Please help Hayls83 with solving the current issues.

Here is my two cents:
  1. Did the vet provide any painkillers? You should have received buprenex to help control the pain. If not - contact the vet and get some.
  2. Also - keep the cats separated until the kittens paws heal.

Old 11-17-2010, 05:26 PM

2,029 posts, read 4,038,455 times
Moderator cut: snip

One other thing to add is that declawing also affects their balance. Since you just brought the kitty home today I doubt he'll feel like playing very much. I would find a nice quiet place away from the other cat for a day or two, longer if necessary. Keep an eye on him and make sure he's eating and drinking. If he doesn't eat or drink then a trip back to the vet will be required. The only other advice I can offer is to educate yourself about the dangers of declawing. A cat can be taught not to scratch furniture. It takes a lot of time and effort but is worth it for the cat. The last time I had a cat declawed was over 18 years ago and I will not ever do it again. Once I learned what it really entails that was enough for me. I hope your cat feels better soon.

Last edited by Keeper; 11-17-2010 at 06:54 PM..

Old 11-17-2010, 05:30 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,983,037 times
He is not feeling well because of the surgery and probably in pain. I don`t know if they already told you at the vet but he shouldn`t be jumping or playing right now.He should start to feel better after a week. Keep an eye on everything and call the vet if he is still feeling bad after a week(or before).

Old 11-17-2010, 06:11 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
My cats are all declawed, they were scratching the kids when they were babies. They survived fine. My current cat is declawed, all four paws. (he came that way) He has no problems using the cat box. Don't feel bad.

Now, about your kitten, he is still groggy. He will be back to himself in a day or two. Just let him have his own space, away from the other cat, in another room, with food, water, a bed, and box, with shredded paper, not litter. He will be fine.

Last edited by jasper12; 11-17-2010 at 06:12 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 11-17-2010, 06:31 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
Folks.. now is not the time to lecture. You don't have to approve of declawing to be helpful. If you have nothing helpful to add then move along.

Old 11-18-2010, 03:44 PM

6,824 posts, read 9,059,808 times
Maybe the kitten knows he's not feeling well. It knows that if it hits the other cat or plays with it using its paws, that it could hurt itself. Maybe it's an instinctive reaction?

Old 11-19-2010, 07:46 AM

333 posts, read 1,063,741 times
When I brought my two girls home after being spayed...my third one (who was already spayed) did not like them AT ALL. They were all growling and hissing at each other. They smell different when they come home from the vet.

Also...after surgery of any kind...they should be kept in a room so that they remain quiet and REST!

Old 11-20-2010, 08:48 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,983,037 times
Hay, how`s your cat doing?

Old 11-22-2010, 06:29 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,573,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayls83 View Post
I just brought home my kitten today from getting neutered and declawed ( we didn't want too but he is ruining the furniture). As soon as he saw the older cat he started meowing really deeply constantly and wont let him near him. We are thinking its because he is in pain and doesn't want to play? Does anyone have experience with this? Will it pass??
Your kitten is in deep pain and will not want to play for at least a week or more. If your vet did not give you pain medication for him, call right now and ask for it.

Keep your kitten isolated and quiet until he heals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats