Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 11:19 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times

Advertisements

A good friend of mine passed away last night. She had nine cats she's had since they were kittens. Her roomate is barely going to be able to manage food for himself until things on the estate are settled, and can't afford to take care of them. If anyone has suggestions on a sancuary or rescue who could take them I can pass on the information. He has a lot on his plate right now and if there is anything I can do to help I want to. I feel like she would rest better if she knew her beloved kitties were all right.

They also live in Cushing, which is about half way between OKC and Tulsa in roughly North Central Oklahoma.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2010, 07:23 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,194,689 times
Sorry for your loss. If there is a humane society in your area you might call them and ask them if they are a no-kill shelter. Also go to PetSmart. They usually have cats up for adoption find out what rescue provides them with their cats.

maybe someone in the OK forum can help you.

Old 11-26-2010, 08:49 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,376,409 times
A local Humane Society or other rescue group might be able to provide at least food for a while if they can't take all the cats at once. My group does, not just for this sort of situation but for a number of elderly folks who are just eaking by on SS we provide food on an ongoing basis. We'd rather that then have them owner surrender the animal. For many the pet is their sole companionship too.

Old 11-26-2010, 10:11 AM

1,463 posts, read 4,326,213 times
Sorry to hear of the passing of your friend. I've been to Cushing so I know exactly where you are located. Have you tried calling a rescue organization or the humane society in Tulsa? They might be able to steer you in the right direction.

Old 11-28-2010, 04:06 PM

2,029 posts, read 4,038,108 times
Moderator cut: deleted post
To the OP, I'm sorry for your loss. There is something you can do to help out these cats. You probably know the cats well enough to know which ones have bonded and shouldn't be separated when adopted, the ones who would be okay going in solo adoptions. Also if you have access to their records or know what vet your friend used would be helpful to a rescue organization. You could also write down the personality traits for each cat. I know I would rest easier if I knew I had some one like you looking out for my babies. Good luck to you.

Last edited by Keeper; 12-02-2010 at 03:39 PM..

Old 11-28-2010, 04:22 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,585,225 times
I'm so sorry you lost your friend, nightbird...and thank you for trying to help these kitties, I'm sure your friend's spirit is extremely grateful!

I agree with previous posters, reach out, make some phone calls and ask for help...that's a good place to start. Maybe you could hang some flyers in local vet offices too, some people actually prefer adopting older cats because not everyone can handle crazy kitten antics, LOL! I'm sending prayers and good vibes toward you, in hopes that you and these cats will get the help and resources you need. (((hugs)))

Old 11-28-2010, 04:38 PM

54 posts, read 228,931 times
if they are still kittens the odds are better they will find homes. i would become a member to different cat forums and try to find good homes for them online that way you have some control, thats the best bet. a shelter or rescue should be a last resort.

Old 11-28-2010, 07:00 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
Call the local PetSmart or Petco in your area, they will generally take cats or know of rescue groups. One thing in your favor, it is close to Christmas, and people may want a pet for Christmas. Put a posting on Craigslist for the cats, and give them away for free, too many people want money for a cat, if you want the cat to have a home, please offer it for free. You could also make some flyers, and put them around at pet stores, grocery store, maybe local schools, senior centers...

As for not having pets over age 60, that is the worst example of ageism I have ever seen. Many elderly people have pets, and are excellent pet owners.

I don't understand why anyone has 9 cats, but that is another issue. With that many cats, are they all in good health? Have they been well taken care of?

Sorry for your loss.

Old 11-29-2010, 06:35 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,376,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouijeewoman View Post
WOW.
You probably know the cats well enough to know which ones have bonded and shouldn't be separated when adopted, the ones who would be okay going in solo adoptions. Also if you have access to their records or know what vet your friend used would be helpful to a rescue organization. You could also write down the personality traits for each cat.
This would be most helpful since one rescue might not be able to take all nine but perhaps find several groups to each take some.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:13 AM

1,300 posts, read 3,603,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Put a posting on Craigslist for the cats, and give them away for free, too many people want money for a cat, if you want the cat to have a home, please offer it for free.
I know this issue is well-debated on C-D, but I do not think that posting cats for free on craigslist is a good idea. It's possible that you'll find good pet-owners but probable that you will find people who will not take care of the animal or sell them to a research facility. Jasper: I know you've said that you found your cat on craigslist and you are obviously a good pet-owner. But I don't think this is the norm, unfortunately.

OP: if you're going to utilize craigslist please screen carefully, insist on vet references, personal references, do a home visit etc. If it were me I would ask for a rehoming fee and either give the money to their vet to apply towards the bill (if the cat is overdue for a visit) or donate the money to a rescue of their choice.

Thanks for helping these kitties
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats