Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 03:41 PM

741 posts, read 1,379,600 times

Advertisements

I will be relocating within a few months. It has been my plan to drive to the general area and rent for 6 months to a year while I search for the town I like the best and buy a modest property.

While I would hope to spend less I can afford up to $1000.00 a month. Because of this and because I am clearly a single middle aged adult I thought this was a reasonable plan with reasonable options.

It is not turning out that way, because I have three cats. They are my family and each others family as well. Separating them, or from them is not an option.

The distance involved is about 1500 miles so I can't leave them, look around and come back for them; it has to be the only trip.

The best I can come up with is for me to buy sight unseen or stay at an extended care place like a Marriott Courtyard while they are boarded.

They are indoor only cats, all neutered.

Has anyone had this dilema? (I have come across many nice looking places that "welcome" two cats and have offered to pay more security and/or rent but am getting nowhere; likewise with CL).

Appreciating your advice in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 04:54 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
Where I currently live, they have a "no pets" policy, "wink, wink"...they don't care if you have a cat. As for three, you might have to rent a place that is from a private owner, and most people now are fairly motivated to rent, so tell them you have a cat, pay the extra pet deposit, and they probably will never know you have three. If you tell the whole truth...I doubt anyone will rent to you...so be pragmatic.

Old 01-04-2011, 05:09 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,231,607 times
I have a dog & 3 cats. I don't have any problem finding rentals. Sometimes they are not in my target neighborhood, but I have never had a problem. Where are you looking to move to?

Extended Stay allows cats. Perhaps you could look for one of those to stay at while you are looking for a place.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:40 PM

1,300 posts, read 3,603,239 times
You can try a Residence Inn, they allow pets and the rooms are set up like apartments. We stopped there with our dog and cat for the night when making the long drive/move from the east coast to Texas. And they'll put you on the first floor so you don't have to worry about the elevator with pets. I'm sure you can find a hotel where your cats can stay with you.

You can't fly there in advance to look at apartments and then go home and make the drive with the cats? You could just hire a petsitter or neighbor or friend to come by and take care of them while you're gone. That would be your best option if you can do it. Personally I wouldn't feel comfortable agreeing to live somewhere I haven't seen.

As for rentals that allow pets check craigslist or drive around the neighborhood you like and look for "for rent" signs. Look at properties from private owners instead of complexes.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:53 PM

Thank you for your help and suggestions.

Unfortunately, my relocation means leaving a "situation" and so, although I have a pet sitter whom I know well and trust that is not going to be an alternative now.

Please, any other suggestions are welcome!

Although it may be expensive, I think a residence inn type place for us may be the best. Even when I rent or buy I will need to furnish the place which I imagine will take at least a month.

The area where I hope to start is Eugene, Oregon. I have a search to the west, north, and then east in mind. Not a large area really, I just hope I can find that special place (for a place I can afford).

Old 01-05-2011, 11:00 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,141,697 times
When I relocated I had 2 dogs and 2 cats. I had a heck of a time finding a rental that would accept them. I was starting to freak out. My son was already upset about the move and the to get rid of our pets? No way. I was stressed to the max. When I did find a pet friendly rental, the landlords wanted an extra 100 per month, per pet! We ended up renting a dumpy house from a guy that could care less. We lasted 9 months because the house was so horrible. We bought a house sooner than we had anticipated but it worked out. I just did a lot of research and talking to people on CD finding the right area to invest in.

I have heard making up a pet resume will sway landlords. If the cats are fixed and declawed mention that on their resume. Good luck I hope you find a place.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:09 AM

1,300 posts, read 3,603,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alinka View Post
The area where I hope to start is Eugene, Oregon. I have a search to the west, north, and then east in mind. Not a large area really, I just hope I can find that special place (for a place I can afford).
I have a friend that went to Eugene on a random trip and loved it! Good luck in your search

Old 01-06-2011, 11:18 AM

4,918 posts, read 22,678,621 times
Many same type post and questions on CD's Real Estate - Renting forum. May want to ask the same question there. Many LLs and PM's post on there and may be able to answer why they have restrictions and what you can do to get an exemption.

Old 01-06-2011, 02:37 PM

Thank you for that tip, I didn't know there was a renting forum, so have posted about this on the Oregon thread and here.

I spent three hours last night trying to find extended stay, thinking that was the answer. Whether for one night or 30 none accept three animals.

I'm starting to panic too. The drive will be three overnights and I am prepared to admit to only one cat. All the cats will do is (hopefully) eat and use their litter which I will of course provide and clean up after. They each have carriers, the soft sided kind and because we will all be stressed I will have them sleep in them. I will bring one of those sissal type scratchers to hang over the door lever. All I'm going to do is shower, sleep briefly, partake in the "free" breakfast and be gone. The cats don't spray or scratch (but are not declawed).

Even if we all sleep in the car we will get there. It is when we get there that has me crazy. I hate hate hate to board them for a month especially after such a drive and then move them to a new place. All of them are 100% indoor and since their rescue this has been their only home. One is a senior.

Does Sirius have a meditation music channel? More seriously, does anyone have any suggestions about boarding in the Eugene or Salem areas if it comes to that? I would have guessed that Salem being closer to Portland would generally be more expensive but have been finding that not to be the case.
Either one, or any other town in the valley I could work around.

Old 01-08-2011, 05:51 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,318,882 times
Motel 6's accept pets, and they don't ask how many. I drove cross county in 1988 with three cats, and only stayed at Motel 6's because I knew they accepted pets. When I went to register for a room, I just asked for a first floor room if possible. I don't recall if they even asked me about pets, but I had no problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats