Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 09:36 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times

Advertisements

No way! My cat would be so stressed and horrified if some strange dogs came into his home. He would not need that kind of stress. I say, have her sign a contract that she will not bring her dogs to your home at all. I don't know...I would almost think about finding someone else...but I know how hard that is...They will be okay without someone there at night. But no go on the dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 09:37 AM

5,167 posts, read 11,434,314 times
After thinking about it, it would kind of make me mad if I were in your shoes that she insisted. Maybe her dogs are fine with cats, maybe not.... they might be fine with some cats especially if they know them, but not with others.... BUT one of your kitties is NOT fine with dogs and since you are the paying customer, she should listen to what YOU want, not try and push her way. Just my 2 cents....

forum rules, please read them

Old 02-08-2011, 10:03 AM

1,300 posts, read 3,602,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmabernathy View Post
well if she doesn't usually stay overnight, and you have requested this, then I can see her point. She is trying to accomodate you but she also has other responsibilities. Why not just let them meet, if they don't get along then you have an easy way out. If they do get along then you are stressing over nothing.
It's not that they wouldn't get along. I think Cooper probably would get along with the dogs. But I want the kitties to get all her attention, they need it. That would be the point of having her stay over; so she could spend extra time with them.

I've never actually had a petsitter stay overnight. I just thought it would be a good idea because we will be away so long and my cats act like they are starved for attention when I'm home! Which is my fault; I talk to them constantly and give them tons of love. But who can blame me!

Old 02-08-2011, 10:10 AM

With the overnight she stays for a full 12 hours and a longer visit during the day would just mean an hour instead of a half hour. I guess I was thinking that for just $10 more per visit it's a lot longer that she would be there.

The more I think about it the more it bothers me that she is insisting on bringing the dogs. I mean if she really understood and loved cats I just don't think she would do this. And I really think that her overnight stipulation should be listed on her website. It's the principle of it that's making me want to look for another petsitter... but I know that means the cats getting used to someone new. I'm very torn.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:21 AM

2,673 posts, read 3,246,823 times
If they were my cats, I'd find a cat loving catsitter. Her dogs may love your cats, but your cats probably won't love her dogs. And who will she favor if something happens? Her dogs or your cats?
It's going to be stressful enough on the kitties with you being gone. No need to add strange dogs to the scene, no matter how sweet the dogs.

If I were catsitting, I would never consider taking my dog with me. But, I'm a cat person.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:32 AM

1,758 posts, read 5,490,423 times
I wouldn't take the chance of mixing her dogs with your cats.

Also, not to be gloom and doom here, but...what IF something should happen between the cats and dogs that required medical attention? Who would be responsible for the vet bill?

Old 02-08-2011, 10:33 AM

1,188 posts, read 5,532,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
I would say keep the petsitter and give up on the overnight.

I agree. In order to keep your babies happy, you need to be comfortable with a compromise. I think this is safest.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola4 View Post
Also, not to be gloom and doom here, but...what IF something should happen between the cats and dogs that required medical attention? Who would be responsible for the vet bill?
True, I would hate to think about it but it's possible.

What I may do is meet with another petsitter just to see what I think. Maybe I'll be able to find someone who is more of a cat lover or someone who loves/understands all animals. I mean what if the cats meet a new person and love them? Then it may have been for the best that this happened...

Old 02-08-2011, 11:04 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
Also...just FYI...she could say she is spending the night, but you know what...your cats can't tell you anyway...You know, when I went away, I took Mickey to a boarding place, that was special for cats, he had his own room, with toys, and everything. It was really nice. He loved it...they played with him, when I picked him up he was perfectly happy and fine. And he was there for a summer...
Pet Boarding, Pet Grooming, Pet Store Boutique in Las Vegas and Henderson, Nevada | Paws n Claws Pet Resort | pawsnclawslv.com maybe there is a place like this where you live...Our cattery features separate 3’ x 3’ x 5’ suites for each cat with a three level carpeted climbing tree and kitty condo. During daily cleaning, your cat will receive individual playtime. We provide all premium food, litter and accessories.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:10 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,435,990 times
Under no circumstances would I allow her to bring her dogs to my home.

She can "insist" all she wants, but you're the final arbiter. Just say no.

You don't know the health of her dogs. You don't know their behavior (what if they pee or poop on your floors or furniture?).

But more than anything, you're paying her to take care of YOUR animals during your time away, not hers!

I made this mistake once and I will never, EVER do it again. We had a petsitter who was caring for some very young, abandoned kittens and asked if she could bring them with her. Well, they not only needed constant care and attention, the woman went through SEVEN ROLLS OF MY TOILET PAPER wiping their butts to get them to poop!

Never. Again.

Don't. Do it.

Just don't.

Best of luck in finding an alternative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats