Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 09:34 AM

173 posts, read 314,782 times

Advertisements

I'm having problems with the cat. She was clawing on the door to my room at night to wake me up and to get into the room. I then put double-sticky tape on the door, and after a few attempts, she decided to start clawing on the carpet immediately in front of the door, instead.

Generally, she'll use the scratching post, but this behavior is to get into a room, so it doesn't help here.

What should I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2015, 10:04 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,550,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsilver View Post
I'm having problems with the cat. She was clawing on the door to my room at night to wake me up and to get into the room. I then put double-sticky tape on the door, and after a few attempts, she decided to start clawing on the carpet immediately in front of the door, instead.

Generally, she'll use the scratching post, but this behavior is to get into a room, so it doesn't help here.

What should I do?
Leave your door open and share your bedroom.

Old 07-12-2015, 10:04 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,986,772 times
Does your door have to be closed?

Old 07-12-2015, 10:06 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Crate overnight or keep the room door open

Old 07-12-2015, 03:17 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
Most housecats are very social creatures, and don't like being shut away from their people. You don't say why you have to keep your cat out of your room, but unless it's for some health reason, you should just let her in and let her have her presence with you. For me, one of the best parts about living with my cats is when they sleep with me. Perhaps you should give it a try.

Old 07-12-2015, 08:47 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Our girls get on the bed and curl up but within a few minutes they are down again, we have a motion sensor plug night light and they love to play the "light on/light off" game with that plug.

Old 07-12-2015, 09:30 PM

I used to let the cat sleep on the bed, but rather than the door, she'd claw on my back and feet.
I also have some mild allergies, so even if I could get that behavior under control, I'd still rather keep her away from my sheets and blankets.
There's also the issue of noise from other rooms (other people in the house, the refrigerator) that makes it so that I want the door closed at night.

I don't know how she'd react to another cat in the house, but she's openly hostile to a neighbor cat that roams around.

I tried a "no claw" spray from the pet store, and within minutes of spraying it outside of my door (this time during the day), she started clawing on the carpet again.

Old 07-12-2015, 09:50 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,602,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsilver View Post
I'd still rather keep her away from my sheets and blankets.
Here's what I did:

I'm sleeping on only a full bed, and my kitty likes to sprawl all over the bottom, taking up a lot of room!

I had the same problems putting her out, plus I like having her in the room. I bought a blanket box (Target and other places like that have them) and put it at the foot of my bed. I put the fleece blanket she loves on top, along with one of her purr pads. It wasn't long before she was sleeping on it, leaving me my whole bed!

She still walks up to my pillow and stares me awake in the morning if I don't get up on time.

As for the door problem, I made a rubber band chain. One end goes over the door knob. The other end is on the closet door. It took a little practice, but as long as I just crack the door, she can push it open (or pull it open from the outside) and the rubber band chain will close the door behind her. That's necessary in the summer when I'm running the window a/c and just cooling my bedroom.

If you didn't want to buy a blanket box, you could use a table or bookshelf at the bottom of your bed. The point is to give her a really cool alternative spot that will discourage her from sleeping with you.

Purr pad: (other pet stores and Amazon have them!)

http://www.petco.com/product/105561/...Purr-Padd.aspx

Old 07-13-2015, 09:46 PM

Grr... It's gotten worse in the last few days, and now she's scratching on the carpet by doors if I close them at all in any room I'm in.
"No scratch" sprays on the area do nothing.

...Maybe I'm not up to being a cat owner.

Old 07-16-2015, 02:32 PM

2,977 posts, read 3,919,942 times
Can you put a heavy doormat over the carpet in front of the door, or perhaps an upside down laundry basket (weighted so she can't move it) to block access to that carpet?

Can you try playing with her just before you go to bed, so she is more tired?

Do you have a cat tree or chair near a window or another comfy spot that she can use?

Lastly, what do you do when she scratches? If you do anything, even yelling or especially getting up--reinforces her behavior and she'll continue to do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats