Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2015, 03:15 AM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times

Advertisements

Ok, Maybe some would say I'm just the crazy cat lady, but I have a cat who can tell time!

Boo Boo, is an 8-yr old male we've had since a 3-month old kitten. Just recently, I observed, he can actually tell time! I was awake before the clock went off, and saw Boo watching the digital clock changing. Then, the alarm went off. My dh is a snooze-alarm user, hits the button twice. Well, Boo just watched the digits change, the snooze alarm went off twice, he did nothing. Then, the third cycle, just before the last digit changed, he reached over and put his paw on daddy's face. Note, he did NOT react to the third snooze alarm, he knew it was going to go off and "pawed" daddy right before it went off. Also, he knows dad hits snooze at alarm one and two, he knows to wait for alarm 3, then starts playing "pretty kitty".
I've observed this on 3 separate occasions just recently. He sleeps on the bed between our pillows, and we've had the same clock for years. I don't know if he's counting the number of turns, or some other way "tells time" but its uncanny how he "knows"

Is this unusual? Are cats more intelligent than given credit for? Hmmmm.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 06:08 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,417,593 times
Pretty cool story! I think animals in general are smarter than we give them credit for. Scientists are having to revise their opinions on animals all the time. Boo Boo obviously hung around waiting for everyone to get up, paying enough attention to his surroundings that he eventually made the connection between the time on the clock and your husband's actions. Smart kitty!

Old 07-23-2015, 07:34 AM

2,977 posts, read 3,919,942 times
Cats crave routine--so your cat knows that after the third alarm, it's time to get up!

Old 07-23-2015, 11:01 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,550,789 times
I bet that we all know of a cat who can tell you when it is feeding time

Old 07-23-2015, 12:19 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,066,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
I bet that we all know of a cat who can tell you when it is feeding time
Those of us that don't soon learn that to avoid shredded legs, we best learn the cat's feeding time.

Cats do seem to learn routines very fast and will respond when events occur frequently at a given time.

Many cats are very skilled at training their humans to do the same things at the same time daily.

Old 07-23-2015, 12:46 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
I have no doubt that cats (and I suspect dogs also) have an internal mechanism to gage the passage of time, and as others have said, they are very routine oriented. So your very cute story doesn't surprise me. All the cats that have owned me over the years have been able to tell time, and haven't needed a clock to do it.

Old 07-23-2015, 02:59 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,986,772 times
Cats are MUCH smarter than anyone thinks.

Once Dad was an hour late feeding Schubert dinner.

Schubert got back at Dad by waking him up an hour early the very next morning for breakfast. Rather difficult ignoring a 20 lb cat sitting on your chest batting at your face.

Old 07-24-2015, 10:44 AM

1,664 posts, read 1,915,057 times
It has always amazed me, how animals know what time of the day certain things should happen.

When my beloved Spoiled Rottenwiler was alive, he would gently poke his big ole nose in my ear or the side of my face, promptly at 5:00 AM, whether it was my day off work or not.

Some time after I laid him to rest, the alpha house cat took over. However, the cat has always been of the notion that I should get up at 4:30 AM. Some day I am going to throw his titanium pin hipped self out the door

My current two dogs' clock watching is in the evening, when it is time for Mr. Norma to be home from work. They ask to go out, and will lay at the top of the driveway for him to pull in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats