Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 10:54 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,148,577 times

Advertisements

Curious as to why my cat would be losing its hair besides the fact she is completely neurotic. She is 12 yrs old. She has always been a very neurotic kitty. I took her to the vet for hair loss before many years ago. Tests were run and basically the vet said that some cats are so neurotic that they will lose their hair if something is upsetting them. We had just moved into a new house so we kind of summed it up that was the cause.

I have noticed over the years that if we move or some other change is going on within the household, Olive will lose her hair again. It is always around the belly, hind legs, front legs but the rest of her is her normal thick fur. It grows back slowly. But this time, it seems to be staying quite thin. She is not bald but compared to her thick fur everywhere else it almost looks like it. The missing spots of hair are actually very short hairs and quite soft. I might make a vet appointment but it upsets her further and the last vet basically told me that if I don't think my cat is sick not to bother because the trip stresses her out more. A vet trip will make Olive hide for days without eating or drinking water. She doesn't appear to be ill. She plays with my other cat just fine. Nothing about her personality has changed. Out of all the cats I have lived with, I never had one so neurotic that they lose hair. I guess I am just unsure if something else might be going on. Anyone else have a balding neurotic kitty?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 12:08 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,034,727 times
i had a little black kitty that would periodically lose the fur in the space between her eyes and ears.... she looked like she had stripes on her head.... her vet at the time said it was alopecia and nothing to be done for it and nothing to worry about.... it would eventually grow back in and then a few years later, fall back out..... never seemed to bother her a bit in all of her 18 years......

Old 03-01-2011, 12:53 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,667,278 times
Your last vet sounds like he knew what he was talking about. As long as your cat is acting her normal "neurotic self" I don't think a vet visit is necessary. I understand how stressful a vet visit is on some cats, and one in your case, would only worsen your cat's condition.

To answer your question truthfully, though, no I personally don't have experience with a cat who has a tendency to lose hair, thank goodness. But it just makes sense to keep your cat home who has such a sensitive disposition to begin with, as long as there are no unusual behavior patterns noted.

Old 03-01-2011, 01:18 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,427,629 times
I have a cat who's always had thin fur in the spot that lttp mentioned, between the ears and eyes. Lately it's been extra thin. Yes, you could call her neurotic and easily upset. For one thing, she's not an "animal lover" and I force her to live with 2 dogs and a bratty brother cat. Funny how a personality trait can affect something like that.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:35 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,092,976 times
I have seen patchy hair loss on cats soon after neuter or spay, usually it went away after a few months. It didn't seem to distress the cat as much as it worried me, but according to my vet "sometimes that just happens".

Old 03-01-2011, 07:53 PM

Thanks everyone. I was just kind of surprised this morning as when I was coming up from the basement, Olive was in front of me climbing the stairs and it really hit me how bald her back legs were. I started to think about a vet visit but then I know how bad she gets afterwards. I looked at her skin and its completely clear, not even dry. Darn cats!

Old 03-01-2011, 08:29 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,494,565 times
Is it possible your cat has an allergy to something?

Old 03-01-2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola4 View Post
Is it possible your cat has an allergy to something?
I thought about this but can't figure out what it could be if that was the case. Do you know of anything that cats are allergic to? I don't spray anything on my carpets or furniture. My husband has bad allergies so perfume scents of any kind are a no no in the house. Do you think my other cat could be stressing her out? They play fight every night but maybe its not playing to her? It just seems like her hair loss is more this time than the others.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:15 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,667,278 times
Fallingwater, what foods do you feed your cat? If it is allergies it could very well be related to grains in certain foods.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:22 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,494,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
I thought about this but can't figure out what it could be if that was the case.
My FIRST thought was food, because it is the number one reason for feline allergies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats